SHELFTALKERS

Before I go further, I am really not interested in creating a dialogue that quickly turns into lame arguments over whether or not these should even be used, or how I, as a retailer who god forbid wants to use a shelftalker is creating the equivalent to “slow pitch softball.”

So, going back into wine retail after taking a break, and I was looking for any info. on formats people use. Obviously I know something fairly basic and simple can be done on excel, word or drive, but would like something really nice looking. Curious what template you use, or have created that looks really nice.

FYI, I’m not a MAC user. Thanks!

We use a simple Excel format that produces a 2.25"x3.75" shelf talker with our store logo in one corner. The text is framed in a colored border and it’s printed on a parchment-type paper, then laminated. We focus mostly on flavor and aroma profiles in the body of text, plus case production (when it’s small) and scores (when they’re 90+).

We use plain old Microsoft Word, print on the “best quality” setting, then laminate with our fabulous laminator that we got at the office supply store for a hundred bucks. As everyone says: They get you on the laminating sheets, a dollar a pop. I have one account that wants “skinny” shelftalkers, so they have their own Word template. And there are accounts that just want text to put into their own format.

I’ve used Pagemaker for shelftalkers for as long as I can remember. Easy to drop images and text, use most colors and fonts and easy to turn into PDF files so you can store them.

I know Pagemaker is a bit outdated, but I’ve yet to find a better tool.

I use Avery template 74536, in MS Word the dimensions are about 3" x 4", they are for name tag badges, so I bought a lot of the plastic badge holders. I clip the badge to the shelf or stick it on with velcro depending on the shelf. I keep the text short and simple, I won’t use pencil lead or manure as descriptors. I don’t look for wines which have scores but if a wine comes in and it has a score, I will highlight it (don’t hate me!).

If a book makes a best seller list, or top ten list, you know every book store in the country is going to mention and market that. Ditto with wine, it’s not like you are the one that gave that wine it’s 91 score. I’ve always done separate cards for scores, usually a small card showing the score, text and source, keeps things more neutral.

The biggie for me on shelftalkers is showing what fruit goes into what blends. SO many people are confused over French and Italian wines, and it seems to bring things together for them when they can read what exactly goes into that Cotes du Rhone. They have usually heard of Syrah and Grenache, and it makes it easier for them to pick up a bottle knowing what is inside - ditto for Bordeaux and all other blends - red or white.