Package store delivery apps / services

Suddenly I am getting barraged with people who have an app and / or website who either want to DO deliveries for us or refer them to us.

Anyone have any experience using one of these things? Worth the hassle?

Do you already deliver? What’s your cost per delivery?
What services are being offered? Do they have their own age verification software and vehicles?
How does their app read your inventory? What’s the fee structure?

Yes we do lots of deliveries, for single bottles and gifts we use a currier and pass the cost to the customer, for large parties we do it ourselves for a nominal fee.

Some of them are basically advertising to mobile phone users, taking the order and leaving delivery to us, some have drivers. Iffy on verification and most insist that WE process credit cards.

Most of them assume that most stores have the same old commercial stuff and are shocked when we tell them that we don’t stock ANY of that and that our inventory changes daily and fairly substantially monthly. Some have offered to do all data entry.

I’ve been quoted from 4-7% of the gross.

Hey Roberto… I’m assuming you’re talking about something that works sort of like Uber, but for deliveries?

I’ve heard a lot about some of these type of apps popping up all over the country. There is some company making a big push right now in Austin with pretty deep pockets.

They’re basically trying to compete with Courier services and FedEx Same Day City, etc… Should be interesting to see how this changes local deliveries.

Yes, but it’s very localized (your store is assigned a “zone” where you will be “exclusive”) and they are actually pushing your inventory to folks, not just passively delivering.

I have had at least 10 different companies contact us, all with slightly different models.

PS: in Austin would hippies on bikes do the deliveries? [snort.gif]

Tech geeks do the bike deliveries around MIT!

That’s an interesting twist to be sure…

By the way, complete sidenote…but I find that when I read your name, in my mind it always sounds like Bobby Boucher’s dad said it at the end of The Waterboy… Sorry

I’ve always thought it was best to keep this stuff in house Roberto - and if you did use a delivery service - just use one for deliveries outside a ten mile limit. Frankly there is nothing they can do marketing wise that you guys don’t already do, and it’s always nice to pass the delivery charges to your employees doing the deliveries.