More Saturday Retail Funnies

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Ron Kramer

Post #1751  Postby Ron Kramer » June 2nd 2016, 12:26pm

Thomas Concilio wrote:So, Just when I think I've heard them all. And yes, there are a lot of very good examples in this thread, this comes along.

A customer comes in and explains how he broke a bottle of wine while loading it into his fridge. (Well that sucks!) Is there anything that I can do? (Huh?) (Like what?, do you want me to help you clean it up? Oh, you want financial compensation because you broke your bottle in your fridge at your home.)

The items in parenthesis are my thoughts during the discussion.

Really, where is the concept of personal responsibility. It really sucks that you broke your bottle, I've even done it, but... [soap.gif]

In 1972 having just moved to the Boston area I bought four bottles of Lynch Bages from David Raines of Gordon's Liquors. It was my first purchase here and never had met David before. I lived on a hill with a 30 foot driveway rising 40-45 degrees. I picked up the carton from my trunk and the bottom falls out causing three of the bottles to fall. One smashed at my feet and the other two rolled all the way down the driveway AND across the street coming to rest on my neighbors lawn. I called the David who apologized for the carton? and he said to stop by and he would replace the bottle. This was a first time transaction that bound me to this individual whom I spent thousands with over the ensuing years and a friend as well.

Advertisement

Ryan M
(Online)

Post #1752  Postby Ryan M » August 15th 2016, 7:23am

So, I've got one, kind of an inverse since it was a salesperson involved. About two weeks ago, I was shopping at one of the better grocery store wine shops, one where it is clear that the manager is making a good effort to stock some quality, interesting wines.

Just a few feet away from me, another customer asked the salesperson if they have or can get a particular wine that snapped a picture of. And the salesperson made a bit of an excited fuss about how the blend was so usual. So I asked "oh, what's the blend?" She says "Merlot, Carmenere, and Cab Sauv." Perplexed as to why she would consider that to be unusual, I asked "where's it from?" She responds "Chile!" I maintained a level expression at that point, not wanting to make a fool of the poor girl. She goes on to say "yeah, it's really strange, because usually Chilean wines are made from Monastrell and Garnacha."

Wow, so many levels of crossed wires in there! I decide to just let it slide, not wanting to come off as some snobby know it all who corrects sales staff.
R y a n M a d e r a k
Steven Brown

Post #1753  Postby Steven Brown » November 30th 2016, 6:29am

I’m not a retail pimp, but I thought I’d share a recent experience I had with the top pimp at a local wine shop.

I live in a relatively small, rural town where I don’t expect to find many wine enthusiasts, yet there’s a shop that has a surprisingly diverse selection of domestic and foreign wine. I’d never met the owner until my last visit, when one of the employees pointed him out. I introduced myself and complimented him on the selection of wine, but he seemed completely uninterested in talking or deepening a relationship with a customer. I even asked him about one of the wines in the shop, and all he could muster was, “It’s nice."

This experience is in stark contrast to the manager of a store I occasionally visit in another state. He’s incredibly friendly, greets everyone who comes into the store as if they’re best friends, and is eager to learn more about them. And he remembers what he recommended to you a month, two months, even six months ago.

I guess I share this only to emphasize how important personality and friendliness is to customers…at least to this customer. When a person is in your shop, it’s an opportunity to win them over. Take advantage of the moment.
PeterJ

Post #1754  Postby PeterJ » November 30th 2016, 10:26am

Anyone else think it's interesting that nobody's had anything to post here for the past three and a half months?
Peter J@ckel
Brian S t o t t e r

Post #1755  Postby Brian S t o t t e r » December 11th 2016, 1:41pm

Ron Kramer wrote:
Thomas Concilio wrote:So, Just when I think I've heard them all. And yes, there are a lot of very good examples in this thread, this comes along.

A customer comes in and explains how he broke a bottle of wine while loading it into his fridge. (Well that sucks!) Is there anything that I can do? (Huh?) (Like what?, do you want me to help you clean it up? Oh, you want financial compensation because you broke your bottle in your fridge at your home.)

The items in parenthesis are my thoughts during the discussion.

Really, where is the concept of personal responsibility. It really sucks that you broke your bottle, I've even done it, but... [soap.gif]

In 1972 having just moved to the Boston area I bought four bottles of Lynch Bages from David Raines of Gordon's Liquors. It was my first purchase here and never had met David before. I lived on a hill with a 30 foot driveway rising 40-45 degrees. I picked up the carton from my trunk and the bottom falls out causing three of the bottles to fall. One smashed at my feet and the other two rolled all the way down the driveway AND across the street coming to rest on my neighbors lawn. I called the David who apologized for the carton? and he said to stop by and he would replace the bottle. This was a first time transaction that bound me to this individual whom I spent thousands with over the ensuing years and a friend as well.

Is David still around (40+ years later)?
CT: InZinity
Peter Tryba

Post #1756  Postby Peter Tryba » December 11th 2016, 5:14pm

David left retail to start an import/supplier company. Still working!
ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com
jcoley3
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1757  Postby jcoley3 » January 2nd 2017, 5:09pm

I never want to have the Extra Dry conversation again. Ever.
Jim Coley ITB
Ryan M
(Online)

Post #1758  Postby Ryan M » January 15th 2017, 2:06pm

jcoley3 wrote:I never want to have the Extra Dry conversation again. Ever.

What's the Extra Dry conversation? Explaining that it's actually less dry than Brut?
R y a n M a d e r a k
PeterJ

Post #1759  Postby PeterJ » January 15th 2017, 7:59pm

Ryan M wrote:
jcoley3 wrote:I never want to have the Extra Dry conversation again. Ever.

What's the Extra Dry conversation? Explaining that it's actually less dry than Brut?

I'm sure. When I explain that the usual first response is "Huh?".
Peter J@ckel
jcoley3
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1760  Postby jcoley3 » January 15th 2017, 9:18pm

PeterJ wrote:
Ryan M wrote:

I'm sure. When I explain that the usual first response is "Huh?".

Yup. It's totally not the customer's fault. I even have a decent quick spiel down pat, it's just there's only so many times I feel like busting it out for the once-a-year folks on NYE! champagne.gif
Jim Coley ITB
Ryan M
(Online)

Post #1761  Postby Ryan M » January 16th 2017, 9:20pm

jcoley3 wrote:Yup. It's totally not the customer's fault. I even have a decent quick spiel down pat, it's just there's only so many times I feel like busting it out for the once-a-year folks on NYE! champagne.gif

Maybe when I finally come down to visit you (sorry that I haven't yet), I'll just walk in un-introduced and start by asking you to explain to me what a "bruht" champagne is.
R y a n M a d e r a k
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1762  Postby Jay Miller » January 17th 2017, 6:35am

Ryan M wrote:
jcoley3 wrote:Yup. It's totally not the customer's fault. I even have a decent quick spiel down pat, it's just there's only so many times I feel like busting it out for the once-a-year folks on NYE! champagne.gif

Maybe when I finally come down to visit you (sorry that I haven't yet), I'll just walk in un-introduced and start by asking you to explain to me what a "bruht" champagne is.

Dude, it's pronounced "bro"
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
jcoley3
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1763  Postby jcoley3 » January 27th 2017, 11:54am

Ryan M wrote:

champagne.gif

I'm amazed by how many wine pros I've heard with the 'bruht' thing.

Of course, make anyone say 'Gigondas' and all bets are off!
Jim Coley ITB
Marc_Hanes

Post #1764  Postby Marc_Hanes » January 28th 2017, 6:53pm

I find this website useful in exploring foreign language pronunciations...

https://forvo.com/word/brut/#fr
ITB: Manhattan Wine Company
Matthew Brown

Post #1765  Postby Matthew Brown » February 21st 2017, 8:31am

Asked 'Have an event for 50 people, what's a good sparkling wine?'
First told to keep under $20, try to explain differences of the Cava and Prosecco we have a case of in stock.
Yells at me for too much info, just wants to know what's good.
Points to a $30 wine. 'Is this better?'
I say yes but it isn't in the price range he first mentioned.
Yells at me for making it too difficult and threatens to never shop our store again.
I shut up and let him spend $300, and start to question my career choices.
The Chav who mostly isn't.
Jorge Henriquez
(Online)
ModeratorModerator

Post #1766  Postby Jorge Henriquez » February 21st 2017, 8:47am

Matthew Brown wrote:Asked 'Have an event for 50 people, what's a good sparkling wine?'
First told to keep under $20, try to explain differences of the Cava and Prosecco we have a case of in stock.
Yells at me for making it too difficult and threatens to never shop our store again.

Corey is a mean mofo.
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - The Wine Cellarage
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1767  Postby Corey N. » February 21st 2017, 8:52am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Matthew Brown wrote:Asked 'Have an event for 50 people, what's a good sparkling wine?'

Corey is a mean mofo.

It’s no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it’s sanctimony. -- Nathan Hill, The Nix

Nøv¡¢k
andy velebil

Post #1768  Postby andy velebil » February 21st 2017, 12:18pm

Just WOW!
I'm a Port drinking fool!
Barry Paul Price

Post #1769  Postby Barry Paul Price » February 21st 2017, 1:07pm

I really did enjoy the wines I got from you Matt. But you post too much and I am never coming back to your store.
Tropicalfruit notes o creamnotes
Matthew Brown

Post #1770  Postby Matthew Brown » February 21st 2017, 1:18pm

Barry Paul Price wrote:I really did enjoy the wines I got from you Matt. But you post too much and I am never coming back to your store.

pileon pileon pileon pileon
Frank Drew
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1771  Postby Frank Drew » February 26th 2017, 9:17am

I don't think I could ever do retail; I work in health care, which is no bed of roses, but at least we get to stick needles and other even more invasive objects into our customers!
Richard Leland
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1772  Postby Richard Leland » February 26th 2017, 1:45pm

Frank Drew wrote:I don't think I could ever do retail; I work in health care, which is no bed of roses, but at least we get to stick needles and other even more invasive objects into our customers!

Jealous.
Richard
ITB
Bruce Leiser_owitz
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1773  Postby Bruce Leiser_owitz » February 27th 2017, 12:46pm

Frank Drew wrote:I don't think I could ever do retail; I work in health care, which is no bed of roses, but at least we get to stick needles and other even more invasive objects into our customers!

Yes, but the malpractice liability for selling someone a corked bottle of wine is somewhat less than improperly sticking a needle into your customer/patient.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.
R yan C omaz zetto

Post #1774  Postby R yan C omaz zetto » July 12th 2017, 4:23pm

This is a great thread and I appreciate the entertainment it provides... but surely something funny has happened in the wine retail world since February! Or have all your customers finally become perfect?
Frank Drew
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1775  Postby Frank Drew » July 13th 2017, 6:06am

Overshadowed by political events?
Terence T-Bone Livingston
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1776  Postby Terence T-Bone Livingston » July 13th 2017, 6:08am

R yan C omaz zetto wrote:This is a great thread and I appreciate the entertainment it provides... but surely something funny has happened in the wine retail world since February! Or have all your customers finally become perfect?

We sell wine at retail prices that folks can take to their table and pay a $10 corkage fee. We also select about 10 different wines that are corkage free, usually wines that we have a lot of or want to move. People still don't understand why we charge a corkage fee on top of retail. Here's the typical back and forth:

Me: "Can I help you find something for your dinner tonight?"
Cust: "I see this corkage free sign here. Does it include everything on this row?" (20 wines on that row)
Me: "No, it's just the single wine that the sign is under, with the arrow pointing above to it. These are also listed on the front page of our wine list."
Cust: "Oh...well that's misleading."
Me: "Hmmm.....is there something in particular you're looking for?"
Cust: "No. (walks down to next country category) Oh look, this one is corkage free too (picking up a $40 young bordeaux)."
Me: "Yes, but if you want a really nice bordeaux drinking killer right now, I suggest this one at $30. Trust me, it's ready to go right now, and you'd pay the same price."
Cust: "Yea, but it's not corkage free (walks away looking for more corkage free signs)."
Me: "Ok, well let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with."
Cust: "Ok, I'll take this one. I love Belle Glos. You just can''t go wrong!" ($41.99 and not corkage free)
Me: "....great choice."
ITB
Jorge Henriquez
(Online)
ModeratorModerator

Post #1777  Postby Jorge Henriquez » July 13th 2017, 6:19am

Jesus Christ man, are you daft?!?!

The more expensive the wine, the better it is. Duh!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - The Wine Cellarage
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1778  Postby Jay Miller » July 14th 2017, 5:40am

Terence T-Bone Livingston wrote:
Cust: "No. (walks down to next country category) Oh look, this one is corkage free too (picking up a $40 young bordeaux)."
Me: "Yes, but if you want a really nice bordeaux drinking killer right now, I suggest this one at $30. Trust me, it's ready to go right now, and you'd pay the same price."
Cust: "Yea, but it's not corkage free (walks away looking for more corkage free signs)."

It took me years to train some of my friends that it's better to bring a $50 bottle of wine and pay $25 corkage than to pay $75 (or even $100) for a bottle on the list that's been marked up from $25.
Barry Paul Price

Post #1779  Postby Barry Paul Price » July 14th 2017, 2:15pm

Jay Miller wrote:

It took me years to train some of my friends that it's better to bring a $50 bottle of wine and pay $25 corkage than to pay $75 (or even $100) for a bottle on the list that's been marked up from $25.

The most powerful words in marketing are FREE and NEW. Use them together and all rational thought goes out the window.
Barry Paul Price

Post #1780  Postby Barry Paul Price » July 14th 2017, 2:32pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
Peter Tryba wrote:Me when someone asks me if we sell sparkling wine while I'm standing in the sparkling wine aisle

I'm still surprised at how often someone asks me if we sell white wine or red wine when we're standing in a wine section surrounded by thousands of bottles.

I'm not ITB, and probably a good thing too, because I'd respond... "We don't have any."

Reminds me of the ending of this.

Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Post #1781  Postby Ken V » July 16th 2017, 7:10am

R yan C omaz zetto wrote:This is a great thread and I appreciate the entertainment it provides... but surely something funny has happened in the wine retail world since February! Or have all your customers finally become perfect?

We sell wine at retail prices that folks can take to their table and pay a $10 corkage fee. We also select about 10 different wines that are corkage free, usually wines that we have a lot of or want to move. People still don't understand why we charge a corkage fee on top of retail. Here's the typical back and forth:

Me: "Can I help you find something for your dinner tonight?"
Cust: "I see this corkage free sign here. Does it include everything on this row?" (20 wines on that row)
Me: "No, it's just the single wine that the sign is under, with the arrow pointing above to it. These are also listed on the front page of our wine list."
Cust: "Oh...well that's misleading."
Me: "Hmmm.....is there something in particular you're looking for?"
Me: "Ok, well let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with."
Cust: "Ok, I'll take this one. I love Belle Glos. You just can''t go wrong!" ($41.99 and not corkage free)
Me: "....great choice."

How do you restrain yourself? I'm surprised you don't grab a 2x4, wack them on the side of the head, and say, "OK, let's try again . . ."
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek
Chris Blum
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1782  Postby Chris Blum » July 16th 2017, 7:58am

I'm getting wiser in my old age. This week, in my little neighborhood wine shop; I refrained from suggesting to the lady who, loudly and repeatedly talked about how she avoids wines "with sulfites", that maybe she was not actually "allergic to sulfites". She selected an organic, cage free, grass fed wine. I paid for my stuff and left.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French
justinmcinerny

Post #1783  Postby justinmcinerny » July 19th 2017, 4:13pm

I probably shouldn't be posting this because it perhaps shows that I don't train people properly but what the heck. A part-time employee of ours who is a beer and wine novice said he ran into some Buddhist monks at his other retail job. He asked the monks about the great beer that they make. He said he was quickly told that Buddhist monks aren't in the beer making business. I do not think he is making this up. It never occurred to me to explain to him in training that the beer made by monks are Catholic monks, mostly from Belgium. Maybe I should give the guy a break because I am an Irish Catholic beer enthusiast and he is a Jewish newbie. Serious question - do the non Catholic/Christians out there realize that Abbey beer is made by Catholic monks (or at least Christians) or am I assuming too much?
Justin
ITB - retail
suburban DC
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1784  Postby Jay Miller » July 21st 2017, 1:55pm

justinmcinerny wrote:I probably shouldn't be posting this because it perhaps shows that I don't train people properly but what the heck. A part-time employee of ours who is a beer and wine novice said he ran into some Buddhist monks at his other retail job. He asked the monks about the great beer that they make. He said he was quickly told that Buddhist monks aren't in the beer making business. I do not think he is making this up. It never occurred to me to explain to him in training that the beer made by monks are Catholic monks, mostly from Belgium. Maybe I should give the guy a break because I am an Irish Catholic beer enthusiast and he is a Jewish newbie. Serious question - do the non Catholic/Christians out there realize that Abbey beer is made by Catholic monks (or at least Christians) or am I assuming too much?

I'm Jewish and realize it, but on the other hand I'm not a wine novice and I studied Buddhism. And have a very, very small but probably sufficient for this purpose amount of knowledge of Catholic monastic traditions.
cjsavino
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1785  Postby cjsavino » July 23rd 2017, 7:35am

NWR, but was in our local grocery store looking for canning lids and the rubber gasket seals for the closure type lids. Stopped to ask the apparent teenager stocking the shelves and explained what I needed. Had the full deer in the head lights look at me and explained that these are used for making and storing your own food. The dim light goes on and I am told that I can make my own food at the salad/ hot bar, face palm.
Chris
Brent C l a y t o n

Post #1786  Postby Brent C l a y t o n » July 23rd 2017, 6:11pm

That. Is. Awesome. flirtysmile [snort.gif] [drinkers.gif] [berserker.gif]

justinmcinerny wrote:I probably shouldn't be posting this because it perhaps shows that I don't train people properly but what the heck. A part-time employee of ours who is a beer and wine novice said he ran into some Buddhist monks at his other retail job. He asked the monks about the great beer that they make. He said he was quickly told that Buddhist monks aren't in the beer making business. I do not think he is making this up. It never occurred to me to explain to him in training that the beer made by monks are Catholic monks, mostly from Belgium. Maybe I should give the guy a break because I am an Irish Catholic beer enthusiast and he is a Jewish newbie. Serious question - do the non Catholic/Christians out there realize that Abbey beer is made by Catholic monks (or at least Christians) or am I assuming too much?
Purveyor of Plonk ITB--Sales
Barry Paul Price

Post #1787  Postby Barry Paul Price » July 23rd 2017, 6:21pm

it really disturbs me that so many posts have men doing 'flirtysmile' according to my browser
John Osburn
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1788  Postby John Osburn » July 24th 2017, 10:51am

cjsavino wrote:NWR, but was in our local grocery store looking for canning lids and the rubber gasket seals for the closure type lids. Stopped to ask the apparent teenager stocking the shelves and explained what I needed. Had the full deer in the head lights look at me and explained that these are used for making and storing your own food. The dim light goes on and I am told that I can make my own food at the salad/ hot bar, face palm.

Outstanding!!
Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Post #1789  Postby Ken V » August 3rd 2017, 4:37am

Barry Paul Price wrote:it really disturbs me that so many posts have men doing 'flirtysmile' according to my browser

I guess you're just not comfortable enough in your masculinity. flirtysmile
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek
Bill S.

Post #1790  Postby Bill S. » September 5th 2017, 6:49pm

Got one from a few years ago. Customer comes up to me and another wine associate and asked "Where's your Pine Not Know Her?"

Took both of us 2 minutes to understand they were looking for Pinot Noir.
Matthew Brown

Post #1791  Postby Matthew Brown » October 27th 2017, 6:04am

Had a woman yesterday wanting me to recommend 'European wines' because she 'heard 2017 was a bad year and they were all going to be expensive soon.'
What wines from Europe do you like?
No idea.
Well, what type of wine do you usually drink?
Caymus Cab.

A good sale in the end, but 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back
S. Stevenson
(Online)

Re: More Saturday Retail Funny's

Post #1792  Postby S. Stevenson » Today, 10:59am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:A former football player shilling wine here in the ATL......actually one of the best stores in town

http://thewinestoreinc.com/new_site/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It amazes me how many former pro football players require jobs when they are no longer playing. With base salaries at 20X the national average, and most making around half a million a year for 5-10 years, you'd think they would be able to handle money for a while and be retired with a decent amount stashed away...

Todd, Todd, Todd. After taxes, agent fees, taking care of family, friends, and no the average life of an NFL players is 3 years(not 5 to 10), there ain't a lot left. Trust me.
Stan

Return to Wine Pimps

logo
Food Advertising by