what about 2009 white Burgundy 1er Cru ? Blind tasting

Our wine club got together to taste 11 white Burgundies from 2009 . Overall , this was a BIG success with some surprisingly good wines . I thought , going to the tasting , that the wines would be forward and clumpsy . There were just a few but others were just perfect . Was picking at the right time the critical success factor ?

1. muted , medicinal , floral , over ripe . Don’t like this much . 86/100 = Henri Germain Meursault Charmes
  2. super nose , mineral , fresh , young so not yet complex but great power . Love this wine . 95+/100 Louis Carillon Puligny Les Perrieres
  3. Fresh and mineral , lime and citrus , not 100 % clean though , wood also . 83/100 Arn. Ente Meursault Goutte d’Or
  4. Deep yellow . Oaky . Acidic . Not good 70 Le Moine Meursault Perrieres
  5. Pure Coche nose , straw , very pure and great lenght , my star of the tasting 97/100 . Henri Boillot Puligny les Perrieres
  6. More classic and forward , more in 09 style that I expected , complex , delicious 95/100 Meursault Perrieres Pierre Yves Colin
  7. Delicate , finesse wine , pure , lovely but in a restrained style 95/100 Coche Dury Meursault Perrieres
  8. more acidic , floral , medicinal 70/100 second bottle of Le Moine Meursault Perrieres
  9. mineral and chalky , not expressive , not complex but very pure , wet stones , very young . 92/100 Auxey Duresses en reugne , Pierre Boisson
  10. Nice wine but not very exciting , well made .Floral . 90/100 Benoit Ente Puligny Champs Gains
  11. Floral , delicious aromatics , I believed this was a Leflaive Pucelles . 96/100 . Turned out to be Meursault Charmes from Comte Lafon .

Overall winner ( 10 tasters ) with 3 points for wine nr 1 , 2 points for wine nr 2 and 1 point for wine nr 3 :

1. Comte Lafon Meursault Charmes : 23 points ( 5 first places )
  2. Henri Boillot Puligny Perrieres : 15 points ( 3 first places )
  3. Carillon Puligny Perrieres : 8 points ( 1 first place )
  4. Coche Dury Meursault Perrieres : 7 points ( 1 first place )
  5. Pierre Boisson Auxey Duresses en Reugne: 5 votes

I stopped buying Comte Lafon after almost 50 % of the wines turned out oxidized . About the same as with Domaine Leflaive . But if these buggers get it right , the wines are magnificent .
For the people who believe Coche Dury makes big oaky wines , taste this ultimate finesse Perrieres from 09 . Stunning .
Henri Boillot is also a hit or mis wine maker . I was convinced it was a Coche Dury , this Puligny was a big winner . Same for Carillon , father and now sons make great wine .

The best 09’s are still too young . But they are all you can ask for : fresh , pure and mineral .

Thank you Herwig for this very interesting write-up. I have had very good experiences with the white 2009 burgundies so far, I have some of those Carillon Puligny Perrières, but havent’t tried it up to now. I recently very much enjoyed a 2009 Mikulski Meursault Genevrières, a 2009 Coche-Dury Meursault Chevalières, and at Bachelet-Monnot I also really, really liked the 2009 Puligny Referts and Folatières - great wines for my taste. It’s probably not a vintage for eternal ageing, but since it’s framed by two fairly linear and acidity driven vintages, I like most 2009s I drank so far for being more accessible now and having fairly pure fruit.

I actually never heard anyone say that Coche Dury makes big oaky wines. In my perception, Coche Dury is so popular because the wines are not big and oaky.

I’ve also had mostly positive experiences with the vintage, although I doubt I’ll hold many bottles beyond the medium term.

I own some Bachelet-Monnot Folatieres, which is superb, and had a Buisson-Charles Meursault Cras for lunch on Monday that was delcious.

Cheers,
M

A very nice tasting - thanks for your notes. The PYCM wines in 09 are very good and Boillot seems to be improving year in and year out; so much so that the Puligny Mouchere is a wine I buy every year. Good to hear about the Lafon Charmes but the wines are out of my price range when I can buy PYCM and Boillot for half of the Lafon.

Thanks Herwig, the 09’s, 10’s and 11’s from Lafon are stunning. I think the 09 whites in general are a lot better than I thought they were on release.
Best Regards
Jeremy

There is such a stigma to the 09 whites that I’m afraid to buy even though the prices are significantly lower. I almost feel like it’s buying a 03 red burg.

For those that have tried the grand crus from Colin-Morey, how would you rank your preference for them between 09, 10, and 11?