TN: 2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Rosé

First bottle of the 2013 Lulu for me. This is the second 2013 Calif Rosé I have opened this year and both have come across on the flabby side in comparison the '11 and '12. Is riper fruit and lower acid a trait of the vintage or is the acid just more in balance this year than in previous vintages? I know it’s a small sample size but I like zippy acidity in my Rosé and I haven’t seen it yet in 2013.

I think the name of this wine needs to be changed in Cellartracker since it has become a blend the past couple years and is labeled as an Old Vine Rosé and not a Mourvèdre.

• 2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Rosé - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (4/28/2014)
    This went fast. More color, fruit and heft than 2012. Has its unmistakeable Mourvèdre perfume on the nose. The addition of Grenache this year really stepped up the flavor with lots of strawberry and watermelon notes. Came a cross a wee bit flabby as I am a big acid lover and this was shy. Nonetheless very refreshing, really enjoyed it.
    image.jpg

Posted from CellarTracker

Believe it or not the 2013 Ode to Lulu has essentially the same pH and almost a gram more acid in it. There is a lot of fruit weight and density in 2013 and a lot of color across all lots- it is a rich vintage and the reds promise to be pretty spectacular.

A couple of things need to be changed in CT with this vintage, AVA is Cali.

I’ll update it.

Interesting. I figured it was hidden behind the fruit. Thanks for the insight Morgan!

I haven’t opened a 2013 yet, but I was pretty startled by the difference in color compared to prior vintages (the 2013 being much brighter red/pink, whereas all the past vintages were very pale salmon colored). I held a 2012 and 2013 side by side and there is a big difference.

I’ve found that the Ode to Lulu drinks well 1-3 years after release, so I probably wasn’t going to get to the 2013 for awhile, but I am interested to see how it may be different.

Though I know the blend and vineyard sourcing varies from year to year, the best Lulu I ever had was the '11, which I opened about a full year after release. Unfortunately, it was the last bottle I had, lacking patience as I do. However, I always keep that in mind. The trajectory of development for these old-vine wines seems to be pushed out a bit, whether red, white, or rosé.

We opened a 2012 a couple weeks ago and spread over 2 nights, and the 2nd half was much more open after spending the night in the fridge. Which leads me to conclude, no rush on these. Holding for a year is probably the beginning of the sweet spot.

My formal notes are at home but IIRC my general impression of the 2013 Ode to Lulu was quite delicate in the nose with only a faint glimmer of aromas. Considering what it is that doesn’t concern me. Nice wine, overall. I stuck the open bottle on a shelf in my office and will now be curious how it is holding up 2 weeks later.

My mouth is watering and I’m 5 weeks from Michigan.

I’d like to compare the 2012 and 2013 but we drank the whole case last summer.