'90 Gaja Sperss and Sori San Lorenzo in the house

I just opened both of these a few minutes ago in preparation for tonight’s Easter dinner of roasted leg of lamb. The Sperss was opened first, and has a beautiful nose of tar and rose petals…I was really happy. Next I opened the Sori San Lorenzo. I was a little apprehensive because when I pulled the capsule, there were slight signs of some past leakage. Must have happened during transport, because both wines were purchased on release. All of my worries were gone once I poured a few ounces, as the cellar was engulfed by it’s intense aromas. Extremely similar to the Sperss on the nose but just MORE with an incredible sweetness. The color of SSL is much brighter than the Sperss, the later showing a little bricking on the edges. On the palate the Spress is balanced and smooth. The SSL is INTENSE and powerful. After my initial sips I came up the stairs with the finish of the SSL still lingering in my mouth and said wow out loud to myself. My wife looked at me and said what’s wrong? I replied giddy…absolutely nothing…we’re going to drink well tonight, Gaja is in the house!

These will be slow O’d for the next four hours and consumed over the evening…more to follow…

I haven’t tasted the 1990 SSL but can attest to the greatness of the 1990 Sperss. Expensive wines but they do deliver.

I am now patiently waiting for my 2001s and 2004s to mature.

the Sperss was recently showing really well. Give a report.