TN: 1997 Hanzell Pinot

Had this last night off the list at a local joint. Had to choose between the '96 or '97 and the Somm leaned us towards this bottle.

1997 Hanzell Pinot

Pop and pour…the nose off the bat was very pleasing with mature characteristics of spice and strawberries. On the palate was showing signs of age but holding its own with fading fruit of red berries and a touch of leather…wishing more but you can’t win them all. Finish was nice but cut short. Overall, an enjoyable bottle but man I wish it delivered more on the finish.

For the price ($90) I would give this a B+. I nice chance to visit a Cal Pinot with age.

Ryan

FWIW I prefer the 1996.

Thanks Ryan, I have a '99 to try soon. I’ll post notes. Hanzell has always intrigued me because my dad had the '68 and '69s in his store. Just wish the winery didn’t price it so high. I buy them at retail when the pricing looks right. Fun to drive up there and see the old narley vines from way back.

I agree with you that prices for new releases are just too high. I absolutely love Hanzell, but dropped them last year because of pricing, even with the club discount. I still hunt it down, and think the Sebella is a good value.

I did pick up a magnum of 2008 pinot for my daughter’s birth year, figuring it’ll go the distance.

Kind of wish I went with my gut and got the '96… Next time!