TN: 2001 Tenuta San Leonardo San Leonardo

• 2001 Tenuta San Leonardo San Leonardo - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT (4/19/2014)
    I first had this wine in Siena Italy in late October 2008. It did not disapoint then and it was even better tonight with another 5yrs btl age. Back then it was decanted by the restaurant, tonight it was clearly unecessary when I popped the cork and poured a first glass to let sit for a bit. I took a wiff and met with huge aromas of tobacco and damp forest floor. I had my radar up for possible green flavors from the 30% Cab Franc in this Cabernet dominated blend but tasted only prefectly ripe raspberries, a damp forest floor minerality and addl unidentifiable flavors. The structure is just right and the tanins almost suave. Blind, I think I’d guess La Mish HB. Paid $40 and easily drinks more like $150+. Thought this would be the last '01 I’d enjoy but I need to find more if, I can. 13% AlC on the label. Very cool wine from the Dolimites. Medium garnet color. Very little sediment. In a great place and about 95% fully realized but should go on for annother 5yrs + very easily. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I have a bottle of the 1997 left that I have been meaning to try.

Byron

One of the wines I want to try very soon (although I am not drinking much Bordeaux blends lately).
Got curious about it also after reading this (surprising) article:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a201309281.html

I like the fact too that the wine is made in this likely cooler mountain setting which may account for the low 13% ALC. Its a really beauty at a modest price due to the lack of buzz.

San Leonardo is about the best match out there as far as a Cabernet for the AFWE crowd. In warmer years this is a beautiful wine. Had a 2006 recently that was fantastic but needs 5 to 10 more years to really strut its stuff.