2001 Pegau is starting to sing

I’ve been watching this wine develop since release and it continues to get better and better!
Dark garnet color with lots of sediment and crust on the bottle. It has that beautiful (to some of us) nose of saddle leather and roast beef. Dark fruits of blackberry & cherry with black pepper, spices along with ripe tannins and good acidity. I guess the best description might be “aromas and flavors of a great traditional CdP”.
Cheers, Gary

Yep. Had one a couple of months ago, and it was glorious.

Welcome, Gary! It’s good to see you again, and I hope you will stick around. It brings back fond (but hazy) memories of your warm hospitality at your pre-MoCool gatherings for travelers like me. I hope you’ve been well.

Any bretty bottles? Had a case each of '89 and '90. When on they were awesome, but stopped buying after those 2 vintages as I was tired of the Russian roulette.

The '99 had some Brett in a delicious way. 2000 has been totally clean for me, as has 2001.

2001 has been solid in my experience. I’ve had a number of 1999s that have been brett bombs in a not very delicious way

Thanks. I need to check in on a bottle.

Hi, Gary. How are you liking your new digs? Will be back there in about seven weeks.

And, I have a bunch of 2001’s so we can share the fun.

Hi Mike,
Your name still comes up here from time to time. Those Thursday night ‘pre-MoCool’ parties on our deck were a lot of fun and got quite popular. I think there were over 70 there for one. I wonder how many other survivors are out there?
You might have noticed from ‘location’ that we have moved to Traverse City. Yea, I retired (again) a couple years ago and we built a house here with a view of the bay and we love it. Come see us.
Cheers, Gary

Hi Steve, We really do like T City. The record breaking snow and cold didn’t change anything. You will have to come by and see the place when you get back to MI. We are close to LFC. [cheers.gif]
Gary

No but I don’t mind a bit of bret. I’m drinking mostly 98 & 01’s currently and have had mostly great bottles. I did find a couple off bottles of 2000 and had several bad 1995’s. I’m afraid to open a Maxim.
Cheers, Gary

Working one tonight. Yeah, it’s opening. I have thought for a while that this is the best vintage since 1990, and the bottle I am drinking tonight is moving in that direction. This one has taken quite a while to come around, but it is really a stunning wine. But then most 2001 CDP is pretty amazing.

I had the 98 recently and I wasn’t impressed - good but not the wine I was hoping for. The 2001 and 2004 are more my style of CdP; not so big and burly and in your face.

Jerry, the 1999 is similarly vibrant.

I’m really enjoying the “stealth” vintage 2004. Have had two bottles recently and both were stunning.

In a recent tasting with some heavy hitters…2000 pegau cleaned house…amazing wine…somewhat exotic…with plenty of that funky cold medina…a wow experience

The 2000, 01 and 04 were all show-stoppers for me. From that point on, I stopped buying.

Wish I still had more 01 of Pegau and Clos de Papes.

'01 was the last vintage I purchased in quantity and as the price on CdP (like many other of my favorite regions) has sky rocketed, I would like to save a few for old bones. The 1990 is an amazing wine both times I had it and I’m hoping the '01 gets to a similar place. I had the '01 last in 12/2011 and it was just beginning it’s window of gorgeousness, shedding the fat and getting those lovely savory notes. I did jump on a bunch of '08 and fine those drink very well now without the expectation they will get much better. And unlike others, I haven’t had an overly bretty bottle of '08. As far as brett goes, Pegau has it, sometimes in spades. As others have said, brett issues seem to be vintage based. I don’t know if filtration is ever used (though I doubt it) or if winery practices change in vintages, but I do find it odd. I’m rather tolerant of brett and adored the '99. Keep in mind the '99 had two releases. The first was the traditional Reservee, which some found too bretty. The second release, bottled as Reservee, though originally earmarked as Cuvee Laurence, is a much cleaner style. The only vintage I have found not to my taste is '03. Is still have a few bottles hoping they will come around.