100 Points by Robert Parker

Parker announced the launch of a lifestyle magazine, separate from the Wine Advocate.

A logical next step in an effort to monetize his reputation.

The new mag will take advertising. [Edit: to be fair, non-wine advertising]. I’m sure that will stir up discussion.

Where is Bill Klapp when you need him?

He is busy signing up as their first subscriber.

So close to April 1, but still so far… :frowning:

I wonder if this is really about $$ or about ego. I assume he made a substantial amount from the sale of WA, no?

Major yawn.

This is almost as funny as the 100pts line of wine glasses.

Sad… im finding it more and more difficult remenbering the “old” parker who actually did something good for the world of wine and for consumers. Wondering if/when the controlling ownership will send him on “early” retirement, realizing that the brand of Robert Parker can only go downhill from where it is now

Mag of the Century !!! flirtysmile [snort.gif]

Well to be fair:

Certainly it could be no more objectionable than the AMEX Gold dessert they served at some of their WA events.

That was so awesome

I hear the publishing industry is just killing it right now…

I’m not sure why he doesn’t stop while he’s ahead but it looks like that boat has sailed. He now reminds me of Gary Busey; the more you see him or read about him, you just feel like he has gone bat shit crazy. He could have retired 2-3 years ago and gone out with a significant legacy but the more he hangs around, that legacy gets tarnished more and more.

Correct, Eric, and I will go back and edit my post.

This is clearly an attempt to capitalize on Parker’s reputation. I have no interest in the sort of lifestyle magazine that I imagine this will be. Even if I did, I’m not sure I’d be interested in RP’s take on non-vinous luxury goods. I doubt he has much name recognition outside of the wine world, so I wonder how big a subscriber base they expect.

I also wonder who they’ll recruit to write, or if the content will be largely freelance.

Sorry, is there a link? Is the new magazine his or TWA’s?

WOW, that Gary Busey analogy is AMAZING.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Brady, You can only see if you have access to eRP. It is a forum post.

He must have finally gotten his Cellar Management software to a point where he can focus on a new product category to dominate.

I can’t wait to see Parker’s mugshot. Maybe it will top Busey’s pic.

I’m sure most of you have seen it; the photo of him taken earlier this year at a press conf. Ok, Busey might be a tad bit exaggerated but Parker looks to be falling apart physically. He was almost unrecognizable.

[snort.gif]

Wow, I forgot about this NYT book review… http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/books/review/07HENDRAL.html

Covers nearly everything that ever needed to be said about Parker.