Silver Oak: The Love-Hate Relationship

Silver Oak at Chambers Street?!!

From the WSJ: Silver Oak Cabernet: The Wine that People Love to Hate...and to Love - WSJ

When my wife and I went to Silver Oak for a wine tasting a couple of years ago, we tried three Silver Oaks. One “new” Napa, one “new” Alexander Valley, and one “older” Napa. I was intrigued how much heat was on the “new” Napa, but not on the “new” Alexander Valley or the “older” Napa.

The “older” Napa was the most enjoyable to me and my wife.

Sorry I do not remember the exact vintages.

I was pleased with the experience. I still like an “older” Napa with a nice porterhouse steak.

Thanks for posting. In light of the “other” thread started yesterday, I was thinking as I read that thread that if anyone posted about Silver Oak, it could be a lightening rod for bad behavior. So I drank a Silver Oak last night with a steak. It was warm enough to grill outside, so I did, and popped a 2002 Napa Valley. And it was fruity and oaky, but went well with steak. I think I have a 2003 left. Have not bought since because my tastes changed. I think they are generally well made with good fruit, but they’ve found their style and place, and are successful at it. And with good marketing, I think they make a great intro for people into good wines. So what, suck people in with the profile, if they like it they like it, else, a launching pad into other styles.

I get to try both the Alexander and Napa at trade tastings every year, and cannot understand the infatuation, other than recognizable brand name. I also cannot believe the price it commands vs. quality ratio.

Silver Oak from the 80’s and 90’s are tasty. They had this coconut aroma signature that was attractive for us island folks. Still pop one out these once in a while at a blind tasting and love how haters praise the wine.

+1 There is a place and time for every wine. Diversity is the spice of life. Had an early 2000 (can’t remember exactly) vintage a few months ago at a friends house over dinner. Was enjoyable for what it was. Would I want to drink it everyday? No. But it was definitely a nice change of pace.

Whenever I see one of their giant tanker trucks rolling around Healdsburg, I always imagine a Texan with a six-shooter hijacking it and taking it back to his ranch in the ole Lone Star State.

Anyone remember the Smith & Hook Monterey Cabs from the 80’s? They had so much coconut they smelled like German Chocolate Cake!

Where does the coconut smell come from? Lots and lots of new oak?

American oak.

-Al

Actually, the first thing that came to mind about Silver Oak is; how stable the prices have actually stayed. These were $60-$75 Cabernets ten years ago, and have pretty much stayed the same while their neighbors wines have doubled, tripled, even quadrupeled in price.

And I am not a Silver Oak fan by any means, but they really have stayed true to their heritage and still produce pretty similar wines to what they did years ago -

I know French and American oak impart different characteristics, but it’s all White Oak, correct? Or are they truly different trees? Is it “terroir” of where it is grown (dirt, climate, etc.) in the US vs. France that makes it different? Aren’t the rings in American oak not as tight as in French oak and thus why you get more of that flavor profile out of American barrels?

I bet there is a thread here on WBs about oak and barrels I should do a search for.

Yes, different species.
From Wikipedia:

The species of oak typically used for American oak production is the > Quercus alba > which is a white oak species that is characterized by its relatively fast growth, wider grains and lower wood tannins. It is found in most of the Eastern United States as well as Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin where many wine barrels are from. In Oregon the > Quercus garryana > white oak has started to gain usage due to its closer similarities to European oak.
In France, both the > Quercus robur > (common oak) and > Quercus petraea > (white oak) are considered apt for wine making, however, the latter is considered far superior for its finer grain and richer contribution of aromatic components like vanillin and its derivates, methyl-octalactone and tannins, as well as phenols and volatile aldehydes.

Thanks!

FIFY

It was one of our first consistent “splurges” on wine 20+ years ago so I have a nostalgic soft spot even though I won’t buy it any more.

+1

It was a wine everyone knew about and was a splurge. Stag’s Leap (especially Cask 23) was another. This would make an interesting thread - “Wines you never buy anymore, but have an old sweet spot for.”

I still have some 90 and 91 Alexander Valley and Napa cabs hidden somewhere. I usually donate them to the auction that benefits my kids’ school because others find more value in it than I do. I’ve opened a few and have found them pleasurable - just not memorable.

Cheers!

Paul,

To follow on Robert’s post, American oak often has a very ‘dill’ note that works very well with Rioja, but for me works on a case-by-case basis with American reds. That dill flavor and aromas is the signature of Silver Oak, in some vintages it has tended to overwhelm the wine. I actually think the past couple of vintages of the Alexander Valley Cab have shown well, and they reminded me of why the became so popular.

The Napa, OTOH, has for many years worn the oak less well and commands a premium solely because of its AVA. The closest I think you can get to the heyday of Silver Oak Napa is tracking down a bottle of Meyer Family ‘Bonny’s Vineyard’ Cab. It’s more expensive than Silver Oak, but it’s the same vineyard SO did a single-vineyard release from many years ago (until 1991).

But not only this, but also the way the staves are cut and dried amplifies the differences as well.

I feel like CSW regularly has an older bottle or two of Silver Oak. My experience with the producer is fairly limited but I have had some younger vintages (very unpleasant style to my tastes) and at last Thanksgiving a large group plowed through a 3L bottle of the 1983. It was fantastic–restrained, graphite, light cedar box, fruit but not fruit-forward. Really lovely wine, probably served too young. I understand there was a shift in style at some point, but the '83 is what you’d call “classic” Napa Cab.