Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #1  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 11:21am

[ADMIN: The material submitted by the original poster is copyright protected content, and the friendly folks at Cozen O'Connor (Intellectual Property Department) have demanded that the material be removed, thus, in full compliance, I am removing the content requested.]

Advertisement

User avatar
Robert.Fleming
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 6944
Joined: June 11th 2009, 1:58pm
Location: Atlanta

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #2  Postby Robert.Fleming » March 5th 2014, 11:30am

Parker didn't write that - not enough ellipses.

[snort.gif]
User avatar
Roberto Rogness
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: February 10th 2009, 11:16am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #3  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 11:32am

"Lisa and Jeb were there and later told me the tasting of Jon Bonne's "new California" wines,assisted by Eric Asinov,was a disaster of showcasing largely emaciated,excessively acidic, hollow wines-apparently many of he attendees were turned off,wondering how wine writing could intentionally go down such a losing path-apparently the Hosemaster agrees(see his excellent satire)."

Hmmmm, I've heard other opinions on those wines.
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!
TomHill
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 5582
Joined: July 28th 2009, 9:21am
Location: LosAlamos, NM

Hmmm...

Post #4  Postby TomHill » March 5th 2014, 11:33am

Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom
jasonbolton
 
Posts: 6
Joined: June 9th 2013, 12:59pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #5  Postby jasonbolton » March 5th 2014, 11:37am

If it's true that he's successfully steering the Chinese wine buying public to USA, South America, and Australia, presumably to his style of wine, it seems like a blessing in disguise to keep other regions relatively affordable for the time being.
George Chadwick
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: July 7th 2009, 9:33pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #6  Postby George Chadwick » March 5th 2014, 11:48am

I'm, more pro-Parker than many on this board but without the ellipses, it sounds an awful lot like Roland Hedley
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #7  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 11:55am

No Wine Advocate in Mandarin + a couple of thousand attendees maximum at Asian tour events + the author having no clue what Chinese wine-buying and wine-drinking habits are at the moment=zero steering of anything. And then there is this: remember when the Chinese upper crust had a brief romantic encounter with Lafite and then jilted it for Burgundy, the ultimate zero-Parker-influence wine? And sadly, Jason, the other regions have already been discovered by those fleeing Burgundy and Bordeaux prices, without Parker's help, so no price relief there...
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #8  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 11:59am

Robert.Fleming wrote:Parker didn't write that - not enough ellipses.

[snort.gif]


I noticed that, but goin' for the gold on the dumpling-eating contest had the ring of authenticity about it. I wonder if he used a spoon or bobbed for them, like apples in the days of yore! :)

And I smile every time that I think of Bob reading The HoseMaster and actually believing that public ridicule by a blogger is the sincerest form of flattery...
User avatar
Thomas Keim
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: June 7th 2009, 5:52pm
Location: St Paul, Minnesota

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #9  Postby Thomas Keim » March 5th 2014, 1:29pm

This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....
ITB - Old World Imports -
User avatar
kylemittskus
(Online)
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 27th 2012, 8:38am

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #10  Postby kylemittskus » March 5th 2014, 2:03pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....


We all have our hobbies.
User avatar
todd waldmann
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 4012
Joined: June 5th 2009, 7:51pm
Location: boise, idaho

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #11  Postby todd waldmann » March 5th 2014, 3:07pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....



Well. She is......
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter
 
Posts: 33055
Joined: January 27th 2009, 9:46am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #12  Postby Todd F r e n c h » March 5th 2014, 3:09pm

When I think of pairing with Classical Cantonese food, I think of:

1990 La Chapelle Jaboulet Hermitage,2003 Chapoutier L'Ermite,2001 Screaming Eagle,1993 Harlan Estate,1995 Abreu Madronna Ranch....and1996 Marcassin Upper Barn Gauer
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
User avatar
Ed Gonzales
 
Posts: 776
Joined: January 30th 2009, 2:22pm
Location: Dog House

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #13  Postby Ed Gonzales » March 5th 2014, 3:14pm

todd waldmann wrote:
Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....



Well. She is......


^ lol
Ed s @ n
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #14  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 3:20pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....


No, Thomas, it is not. First of all, I am doing the spurning and Parker is spreading the rumors, apparently for the rest of his life, about what whores anybody who disagrees with his increasingly absurd views about wine are. By the way, in case you missed the point, Mr. Parker wrote every word of the post above, not me. You might take a hint from the other posts here that the majority see a few things worth quibbling over there, and quibblers gonna quibble, eh?
mark rudner
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 769
Joined: April 23rd 2009, 1:43pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #15  Postby mark rudner » March 5th 2014, 3:23pm

it's more the recurring theme of your posts than whether or not rp wrote the above or you.
sometimes it feels like senseless overkill.
Gary York
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: April 26th 2010, 4:02pm
Location: Richmond, Va.

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #16  Postby Gary York » March 5th 2014, 3:25pm

With Parker it just keeps getting better. And by better I mean worse.
ITB
User avatar
Guillaume Deschamps
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 7733
Joined: February 2nd 2009, 8:49am
Location: Languedoc

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #17  Postby Guillaume Deschamps » March 5th 2014, 3:28pm

I think this report is interesting if only because it's putting 2 guys (who happen to be the top 2 wine journalists in the US?) in a very bad light.
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #18  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 3:31pm

mark rudner wrote:it's more the recurring theme of your posts than whether or not rp wrote the above or you.
sometimes it feels like senseless overkill.


I understand, and I feel your pain. However, I view it as a public service to facilitate Parker hanging himself with his own bigoted foolishness, which is a growth industry if ever there was one. We created the monster, and retailers are keeping it on life support. I think that it is time to pull the plug...
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #19  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 3:33pm

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:I think this report is interesting if only because it's putting 2 guys (who happen to be the top 2 wine journalists in the US?) in a very bad light.


And, top 2 or not (and I think not), doing it with the hearsay of two colleagues left behind who are not on anyone's list of top wine journalists...
mark rudner
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 769
Joined: April 23rd 2009, 1:43pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #20  Postby mark rudner » March 5th 2014, 3:34pm

understood. carry on.
James Sanders
 
Posts: 502
Joined: June 1st 2009, 12:35pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #21  Postby James Sanders » March 5th 2014, 3:42pm

Who is this Eric Asinov, of which he speaks?
User avatar
Alan Rath
 
Posts: 9204
Joined: April 24th 2009, 12:45am
Location: Fremont, Ca

Hmmm...

Post #22  Postby Alan Rath » March 5th 2014, 4:08pm

TomHill wrote:Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom

Me too, any references to a report or blog post?
User avatar
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 9322
Joined: January 28th 2010, 6:03am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #23  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » March 5th 2014, 5:38pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:When I think of pairing with Classical Cantonese food, I think of:

1990 La Chapelle Jaboulet Hermitage,2003 Chapoutier L'Ermite,2001 Screaming Eagle,1993 Harlan Estate,1995 Abreu Madronna Ranch....and1996 Marcassin Upper Barn Gauer



Now that is funny! I'll take the La Chapelle, he can keep the rest and the Cantonese food.
El Arte de Mutar
Carlos Estevez, Havana, Cuba 2003
Oil, ink and crayons on canvas (39x63)

Kenny H: "Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in Loire . . . ."
User avatar
Larry P
SubscriberSubscriber
Bacchus and Vesuvius
 
Posts: 6158
Joined: June 21st 2010, 3:13pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Hmmm...

Post #24  Postby Larry P » March 5th 2014, 5:44pm

Alan Rath wrote:
TomHill wrote:Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom

Me too, any references to a report or blog post?


+1 and this tasting was at a wine writers convention, no? Google only turns up talk about RMP's comment.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power
Jonathan Loesberg
 
Posts: 758
Joined: April 27th 2010, 5:59am

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #25  Postby Jonathan Loesberg » March 5th 2014, 5:45pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....


This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.
User avatar
Roberto Rogness
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: February 10th 2009, 11:16am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #26  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 5:48pm

From the events schedule site:

http://www.winewriterssymposium.org/eve ... m-schedule

8:30 - 9:45 AM Unexpected Napa Valley Wines Tasting and writing exercise with Eric Asimov, chief wine critic, The New York Times; Jon Bonné, wine editor, San Francisco Chronicle
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!
Bruce G
 
Posts: 675
Joined: June 19th 2009, 5:32am

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #27  Postby Bruce G » March 5th 2014, 5:51pm

You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."
Free Klapp!
User avatar
Roberto Rogness
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: February 10th 2009, 11:16am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #28  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 5:55pm

Wow...all I can think of after that is a cornered dog:

Image
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!
User avatar
Frank Murray III
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 5523
Joined: January 27th 2009, 6:51pm
Location: South OC

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #29  Postby Frank Murray III » March 5th 2014, 6:04pm

I not only read the Bonne book, but continue to enjoy and buy the wines Bonne details in the book. I don't follow the critics anymore but knowing what Parker has said about the wines Jon Bonne writes about and Parker's comments towards them, it tells me with confidence that Parker's view and mine on wine are now about as far apart as they can be.

I need to find a Wind Gap or Matthiasson from the cellar and celebrate.
2015...my favorites list:
2012 Copain Wendling PN And V
2012 Rhys Bearwallow PN Anderson V
2013 Mending Wall PS Palisades V NV (dark as night!)
2013 Carlisle PS Sirah Palisades V NV
2013 Lucia Syrah Susan's Hill SLH
2012 Pépière Muscadet VV Clos des Briords
2014 Tercero Albariño C5 Vineyard SYV (QPR)
2007 Copain Syrah Brosseau V
Marcus Ford
 
Posts: 21
Joined: January 30th 2012, 8:49pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #30  Postby Marcus Ford » March 5th 2014, 6:05pm

If it's true that he's successfully steering the Chinese wine buying public to USA, South America, and Australia, presumably to his style of wine, it seems like a blessing in disguise to keep other regions relatively affordable for the time being.


Just as an FYI, all the wines served in Beijing and Shanghai were Bordeaux
Shanghaimarcus
ITB in China, 14
User avatar
Marcus Stanley
 
Posts: 545
Joined: November 1st 2010, 3:31pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #31  Postby Marcus Stanley » March 5th 2014, 6:09pm

Bill Klapp wrote:And I smile every time that I think of Bob reading The HoseMaster and actually believing that public ridicule by a blogger is the sincerest form of flattery...


Actually, Bill, the Hosemaster got in some ridicule for you too:

It seemed like a lot of those wine writers came to hear this Parker guy but they didn’t like him, so it’s like paying to go to a Yanni concert if you have any taste in music. You hate him as soon as your clenched little butthole hits the seat. So that was weird, it was like this weird mix of people who had the Duck man up on a pedestal, worshipped him like he was something they’d never achieve, like an original idea, and a whole bunch of people who thought he was an arrogant old windbag who’d f*cked up their whole pathetic little wine business, like he was to blame for all that’s shitty in wine writing, like he’s the f*cking A-Rod of wine.


[cheers.gif]
User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan
 
Posts: 15312
Joined: February 14th 2009, 9:06am

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #32  Postby D@vid Bu3ker » March 5th 2014, 6:26pm

Parker can't let it go. Neither can Bill. Separated at rant.
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013

David Bueker - Rieslingfan
User avatar
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 867
Joined: December 19th 2009, 1:13pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #33  Postby ClarkstonMark » March 5th 2014, 6:29pm

Bruce G wrote:You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."

That's more like it .... don't you think.... and mentions Leve too....
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
User avatar
Thomas Keim
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: June 7th 2009, 5:52pm
Location: St Paul, Minnesota

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #34  Postby Thomas Keim » March 5th 2014, 6:33pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....


This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.


I guess you are right. As long as he is not parked outside his house staring into the windows with binoculars, it's probably just a harmless waste of energy. Although I wouldn't put that past him....
ITB - Old World Imports -
Kyle Schlachter
(Online)
 
Posts: 834
Joined: July 17th 2010, 1:32pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Hmmm...

Post #35  Postby Kyle Schlachter » March 5th 2014, 7:19pm

Larry P wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
TomHill wrote:Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom

Me too, any references to a report or blog post?


+1 and this tasting was at a wine writers convention, no? Google only turns up talk about RMP's comment.


I did not attend, but heard from someone that did (David White) that the wines were quite nice and people enjoyed it.

I've personally tasted several of the wines and enjoyed them myself. They definitely have acid, but are not emaciated nor hollow, in my opinion (whatever that is worth...).
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress
Reginald Wheeler
 
Posts: 69
Joined: April 27th 2010, 5:26pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #36  Postby Reginald Wheeler » March 5th 2014, 7:35pm

Well there has to be someone out there who can give us a list of the wines tasted. I too would live to see what the future of California wine looks like. Or should look like according to Bonné and Asimov.
Doesn't Bonné post here? Why not provide a list of the wines Jon?
I want to get in early on what will be the new stars of California wine. Pretty please.
Kyle Schlachter
(Online)
 
Posts: 834
Joined: July 17th 2010, 1:32pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #37  Postby Kyle Schlachter » March 5th 2014, 7:58pm

Oh, the wines were Abrente Albariño, Chappellet Chenin Blanc, Massican Annia, a Matthiasson White Wine, Lagier-Meredith Syrah, Turley Library Vineyard petite Sirah and Corison cab...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress
Gary York
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: April 26th 2010, 4:02pm
Location: Richmond, Va.

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #38  Postby Gary York » March 5th 2014, 8:07pm

I have been camped outside of Parker's house for several months, no sign of Bill.
ITB
GregT
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: April 15th 2009, 3:12pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #39  Postby GregT » March 5th 2014, 10:26pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
Bruce G wrote:You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."

That's more like it .... don't you think.... and mentions Leve too....


Wow! A two-fer!

And Bob make his argument by reference to Leve now? Holy shit. [wow.gif]

I've tasted many CA wines from the 1990s, as have many others on this board. Some are OK, some are crapping out. What's the take-away? I guess it's know your producer.

Kind of like everywhere else.
G . T a t a r
User avatar
Eric LeVine
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 12042
Joined: January 27th 2009, 9:58pm
Location: Seattle, WA & Bern, Switzerland

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #40  Postby Eric LeVine » March 5th 2014, 10:59pm

Bruce G wrote:You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."

I like this short and sweet post in response.
Eric Asimov wrote:This must be an example of the new civility among wine writers that Bob has recommended.

With all due to respect to Bob, but his screed reads like a pretty drunken post.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
User avatar
Jim Brennan
 
Posts: 3185
Joined: April 17th 2009, 6:10pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #41  Postby Jim Brennan » March 5th 2014, 11:08pm

Eric LeVine wrote:I like this short and sweet post in response.
Eric Asimov wrote:This must be an example of the new civility among wine writers that Bob has recommended.



Disagreeing with Parker about wine is tantamount to a personal attack, so the emperor was simply responding in kind. [whistle.gif]
User avatar
M.Kaplan
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: April 18th 2009, 9:10am
Location: Los Angeles

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #42  Postby M.Kaplan » March 5th 2014, 11:10pm

Eric LeVine wrote:With all due to respect to Bob, but his screed reads like a pretty drunken post.


What an incredibly obnoxious *sshole. Parker (not LeVine or Asimov). No respect due or deserved after years of provocative, ignorant, disrespectful douchebaggery.
---Mark
GregT
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: April 15th 2009, 3:12pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #43  Postby GregT » March 5th 2014, 11:34pm

I don't know. More seriously, he's had hip surgery, knee surgery, and spinal surgery. Who knows what meds he's on. He hasn't taken care of his health obviously, and he's paying the price. So various pain meds etc, combined with copious amounts of alcohol, and you get the current vintage of RP.

It really is a shame. I'll give him a pass because of what he's contributed in the past, but he really seems to need some advisors these days, and he's not getting good council. He's becoming more like a Brittney Spears, which is sad. She never had anything to offer, whereas he's undermining himself. It really is too bad.
G . T a t a r
Gary York
 
Posts: 4723
Joined: April 26th 2010, 4:02pm
Location: Richmond, Va.

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #44  Postby Gary York » March 5th 2014, 11:50pm

True, but Parker wouldn't have looked nearly as good in the schoolgirl outfit.
Last edited by Gary York on March 6th 2014, 12:00am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #45  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 5th 2014, 11:54pm

Bruce, not quite done quoting yet. The two below followed Parker's latest. I have deleted the first poster's name and location, since he posted this behind a paywall and deserves the level of privacy that buys him. For the good of the order, I understand that Executive Wine Seminars did a 1994 Cali Cab retrospective lately (specific wines unknown), and only a couple had stood the test of time. Oh, and a grammar point: "drivel", Bob, "drivel". "Dribble" is what Yao Ming does, or what you find moistening your beard these days...

Bh0okuNCcAA4Din.jpg
Bh0okuNCcAA4Din.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 1285 times




Re: Interesting Asimov article in today's NY Times
Bob - your tastes and mine will never agree. I respect yours. You do not respect mine. With all due humility, I have tasted and consumed wines for twice as long as you have. I no doubt have not tasted as many wines as you, but on the other hand I probably have actually drunk more. To name two examples you bashed for "selling out", Ojai and Copain, I had tried the wines from them you had extolled, and found them heavy, charmless and boring. When they switched to a "lighter" but in fact more refined style, I became a customer and these two have a respectable part of my cellar. You were right about 1982 and I followed your advice, but even you misjudged many of these wines (Ausone 100 points? Pichon Lalande won't age?). But I hardly would criticize you for this. As far as recent vintages where wines that in 1982 were 13% to 13.5% alcohol, these are in recent "great" vintages 14.5% or even in excess of 15%. I belong to a gentlemen's eating club where guests regularly bring wines that score high here and when I am in their company I bring what I like, and you charge are charmless. During the course of the meal, these high point wines are given much praise. At the end of the meal, as one regular habitué remarked, "why is the bottle you brought the only one emptied?" The answer, as those present acknowledged, is that the wine I brought well accompanied the food served (which is French inspired). The bodies left with wine still inside simply did not accompany the food consumed. As a reader of your publication for more than 20 years, I have understood that there are two camps to wine appreciation. One tastes the wine as an object on its own. The more power and potency, the better. And these wines stand out when many wines are served. A large number of those who post jostle for the opportunity to serve a number of 100 point wines to see who will win the joist. There are others, such as myself, who are more interested to see a wine will complement a meal, and the food the wine, and watch it evolve over the course of a dinner. As I like to start with one wine with hors d'oeuvres, another with fish or soup dish, a third with le viande, a fourth with les fromages, and a fifth (sweet) with the dessert, I cannot enjoy the later wines if one of these clocks in at 15% or more, and I find these wines enjoyable at first but then fatiguing to the palate. Obviously, for you my approach differs from yours, and you have a legion of fans who agree with you. That is fine, I find no reason you and others following your advice not to enjoy the wines you consume. You should not be so angry that there are others who prefer a different approach to wine and celebrate those vintners and wineries that adhere to the philosophy of wine that provide them with the wines that they most enjoy.
Pacem

03-05-2014, 10:19 AM #39
Eric Asimov
Oenophile

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 11
Re: Interesting Asimov article in today's NY Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Parker
"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."


This must be an example of the new civility among wine writers that Bob has recommended.
Last edited by Bill Klapp (deactivated) on March 6th 2014, 2:49am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #46  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 6th 2014, 12:03am

David M. Bueker wrote:Parker can't let it go. Neither can Bill. Separated at rant.


Apparently neither can you, Bueker. Over 6,000 posts whining about the posts of others without an original thought of your own. Impressive!

I can let it go. I choose not to. Exposing Parker for the bullshitting fraud that he is is my "calling the 1982 vintage"! Parker, on the other hand, cannot let it go. And those that fed the beast deserve to watch his unravelling. He obviously does not appreciate the desperation inherent in trying to support your views with Jeff Leve's palate...
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #47  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » March 6th 2014, 12:06am

Thomas Keim wrote:
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....


This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.


I guess you are right. As long as he is not parked outside his house staring into the windows with binoculars, it's probably just a harmless waste of energy. Although I wouldn't put that past him....


Again, no, Thomas, you are a harmless waste of energy. I have a point to make, and the ability to support it well, if too often for your taste. Please find a thread that you like and stop pissing into the wind on mine. Your cleaning bills must be getting really unwieldy by now!
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 2593
Joined: October 7th 2009, 3:24pm
Location: NorCal

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #48  Postby Nick Ryan » March 6th 2014, 12:10am

Wow... surprised Asimov actually has a TWA account and posted on the board. Don't be fooled. He's pushing just as much of an agenda as Parker, but his personality is just more reserved, and his tactics honed by the best of the best passive-aggressive NYT agenda-pushers. I could easily write a computer program to generate new Asimov articles on demand by filling in the blanks:

"There is a new generation of <blank> in <blank>, unhappy with the current state of <blank> wines from <blank>. They believe <blank> wines have been devastated by too much oak and too much alcohol, and consumers bamboozled into buying cult <blanks> in a point-driven frenzy. However, this up-and-coming new group of [somms|winemakers|aliens] are vowing to change all that by [forcing orange wine on everybody|picking the last week of July|anal probing]."
Tvrtko C.
 
Posts: 774
Joined: March 13th 2012, 9:30am
Location: Brussels, Europe

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #49  Postby Tvrtko C. » March 6th 2014, 12:28am

Nick Ryan wrote:Wow... surprised Asimov actually has a TWA account and posted on the board. Don't be fooled. He's pushing just as much of an agenda as Parker, but his personality is just more reserved, and his tactics honed by the best of the best passive-aggressive NYT agenda-pushers. I could easily write a computer program to generate new Asimov articles on demand by filling in the blanks:

"There is a new generation of <blank> in <blank>, unhappy with the current state of <blank> wines from <blank>. They believe <blank> wines have been devastated by too much oak and too much alcohol, and consumers bamboozled into buying cult <blanks> in a point-driven frenzy. However, this up-and-coming new group of [somms|winemakers|aliens] are vowing to change all that by [forcing orange wine on everybody|picking the last week of July|anal probing]."


Great post!
C=Cernos
Reginald Wheeler
 
Posts: 69
Joined: April 27th 2010, 5:26pm

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #50  Postby Reginald Wheeler » March 6th 2014, 1:01am

Nick Ryan wrote:Wow... surprised Asimov actually has a TWA account and posted on the board. Don't be fooled. He's pushing just as much of an agenda as Parker, but his personality is just more reserved, and his tactics honed by the best of the best passive-aggressive NYT agenda-pushers. I could easily write a computer program to generate new Asimov articles on demand by filling in the blanks:

"There is a new generation of <blank> in <blank>, unhappy with the current state of <blank> wines from <blank>. They believe <blank> wines have been devastated by too much oak and too much alcohol, and consumers bamboozled into buying cult <blanks> in a point-driven frenzy. However, this up-and-coming new group of [somms|winemakers|aliens] are vowing to change all that by [forcing orange wine on everybody|picking the last week of July|anal probing]."


You are 100% correct. Great post.

Return to Wine Talk

logo
Food Advertising by