Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #1  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 11:21am

[ADMIN: The material submitted by the original poster is copyright protected content, and the friendly folks at Cozen O'Connor (Intellectual Property Department) have demanded that the material be removed, thus, in full compliance, I am removing the content requested.]

Advertisement

Robert.Fleming
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #2  Postby Robert.Fleming » March 5th 2014, 11:30am

Parker didn't write that - not enough ellipses.

[snort.gif]
Roberto Rogness

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #3  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 11:32am

"Lisa and Jeb were there and later told me the tasting of Jon Bonne's "new California" wines,assisted by Eric Asinov,was a disaster of showcasing largely emaciated,excessively acidic, hollow wines-apparently many of he attendees were turned off,wondering how wine writing could intentionally go down such a losing path-apparently the Hosemaster agrees(see his excellent satire)."

Hmmmm, I've heard other opinions on those wines.
ITB
É prohibido prohibir!

“U
TomHill
SubscriberSubscriber

Hmmm...

Post #4  Postby TomHill » March 5th 2014, 11:33am

Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom
jasonbolton

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #5  Postby jasonbolton » March 5th 2014, 11:37am

If it's true that he's successfully steering the Chinese wine buying public to USA, South America, and Australia, presumably to his style of wine, it seems like a blessing in disguise to keep other regions relatively affordable for the time being.
George Chadwick

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #6  Postby George Chadwick » March 5th 2014, 11:48am

I'm, more pro-Parker than many on this board but without the ellipses, it sounds an awful lot like Roland Hedley
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #7  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 11:55am

No Wine Advocate in Mandarin + a couple of thousand attendees maximum at Asian tour events + the author having no clue what Chinese wine-buying and wine-drinking habits are at the moment=zero steering of anything. And then there is this: remember when the Chinese upper crust had a brief romantic encounter with Lafite and then jilted it for Burgundy, the ultimate zero-Parker-influence wine? And sadly, Jason, the other regions have already been discovered by those fleeing Burgundy and Bordeaux prices, without Parker's help, so no price relief there...
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #8  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 11:59am

Robert.Fleming wrote:Parker didn't write that - not enough ellipses.

[snort.gif]

I noticed that, but goin' for the gold on the dumpling-eating contest had the ring of authenticity about it. I wonder if he used a spoon or bobbed for them, like apples in the days of yore! :)

And I smile every time that I think of Bob reading The HoseMaster and actually believing that public ridicule by a blogger is the sincerest form of flattery...
Thomas Keim

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #9  Postby Thomas Keim » March 5th 2014, 1:29pm

This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....
ITB
kylemittskus

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #10  Postby kylemittskus » March 5th 2014, 2:03pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....

We all have our hobbies.
todd waldmann
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #11  Postby todd waldmann » March 5th 2014, 3:07pm

Thomas Keim wrote:This obsession of yours is getting a little "sick" isn't it Bill? It's kind of like a 9th grade boy who was spurned by a girl and then spreads rumors the rest of her life about how much of a whore she is....

Well. She is......
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

FYS
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #12  Postby Todd F r e n c h » March 5th 2014, 3:09pm

When I think of pairing with Classical Cantonese food, I think of:

1990 La Chapelle Jaboulet Hermitage,2003 Chapoutier L'Ermite,2001 Screaming Eagle,1993 Harlan Estate,1995 Abreu Madronna Ranch....and1996 Marcassin Upper Barn Gauer
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Ed Gonzales

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #13  Postby Ed Gonzales » March 5th 2014, 3:14pm

todd waldmann wrote:

Well. She is......

^ lol
Ed s @ n
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #14  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 3:20pm

No, Thomas, it is not. First of all, I am doing the spurning and Parker is spreading the rumors, apparently for the rest of his life, about what whores anybody who disagrees with his increasingly absurd views about wine are. By the way, in case you missed the point, Mr. Parker wrote every word of the post above, not me. You might take a hint from the other posts here that the majority see a few things worth quibbling over there, and quibblers gonna quibble, eh?
mark rudner
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #15  Postby mark rudner » March 5th 2014, 3:23pm

it's more the recurring theme of your posts than whether or not rp wrote the above or you.
sometimes it feels like senseless overkill.
Gary York

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #16  Postby Gary York » March 5th 2014, 3:25pm

With Parker it just keeps getting better. And by better I mean worse.
ITB
Guillaume Deschamps
ContributorContributor

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #17  Postby Guillaume Deschamps » March 5th 2014, 3:28pm

I think this report is interesting if only because it's putting 2 guys (who happen to be the top 2 wine journalists in the US?) in a very bad light.
Found great proof to P!=NP but
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #18  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 3:31pm

mark rudner wrote:it's more the recurring theme of your posts than whether or not rp wrote the above or you.
sometimes it feels like senseless overkill.

I understand, and I feel your pain. However, I view it as a public service to facilitate Parker hanging himself with his own bigoted foolishness, which is a growth industry if ever there was one. We created the monster, and retailers are keeping it on life support. I think that it is time to pull the plug...
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #19  Postby Bill Klapp » March 5th 2014, 3:33pm

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:I think this report is interesting if only because it's putting 2 guys (who happen to be the top 2 wine journalists in the US?) in a very bad light.

And, top 2 or not (and I think not), doing it with the hearsay of two colleagues left behind who are not on anyone's list of top wine journalists...
mark rudner
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #20  Postby mark rudner » March 5th 2014, 3:34pm

understood. carry on.
James Sanders

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #21  Postby James Sanders » March 5th 2014, 3:42pm

Who is this Eric Asinov, of which he speaks?
Alan Rath

Hmmm...

Post #22  Postby Alan Rath » March 5th 2014, 4:08pm

TomHill wrote:Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom

Me too, any references to a report or blog post?
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #23  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » March 5th 2014, 5:38pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:When I think of pairing with Classical Cantonese food, I think of:

1990 La Chapelle Jaboulet Hermitage,2003 Chapoutier L'Ermite,2001 Screaming Eagle,1993 Harlan Estate,1995 Abreu Madronna Ranch....and1996 Marcassin Upper Barn Gauer

Now that is funny! I'll take the La Chapelle, he can keep the rest and the Cantonese food.
Larry P
SubscriberSubscriber
Todd's Sugar Daddy

Hmmm...

Post #24  Postby Larry P » March 5th 2014, 5:44pm

Alan Rath wrote:
TomHill wrote:Not heard anything about a Bonne tasting there. Would like to get another perspective on that.
Tom

+1 and this tasting was at a wine writers convention, no? Google only turns up talk about RMP's comment.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power
Jonathan Loesberg

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #25  Postby Jonathan Loesberg » March 5th 2014, 5:45pm

This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.
Roberto Rogness

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #26  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 5:48pm

From the events schedule site:

http://www.winewriterssymposium.org/eve ... m-schedule

8:30 - 9:45 AM Unexpected Napa Valley Wines Tasting and writing exercise with Eric Asimov, chief wine critic, The New York Times; Jon Bonné, wine editor, San Francisco Chronicle
ITB
É prohibido prohibir!

“U
Bruce G

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #27  Postby Bruce G » March 5th 2014, 5:51pm

You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."
Bruce Gutlove
Hokkaido, Japan
Roberto Rogness

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #28  Postby Roberto Rogness » March 5th 2014, 5:55pm

Wow...all I can think of after that is a cornered dog:

ITB
É prohibido prohibir!

“U
Frank Murray III
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #29  Postby Frank Murray III » March 5th 2014, 6:04pm

I not only read the Bonne book, but continue to enjoy and buy the wines Bonne details in the book. I don't follow the critics anymore but knowing what Parker has said about the wines Jon Bonne writes about and Parker's comments towards them, it tells me with confidence that Parker's view and mine on wine are now about as far apart as they can be.

I need to find a Wind Gap or Matthiasson from the cellar and celebrate.
2014 WsOTY:
08 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chass-Mont 1er Cru Les Caillerets
12 Fogline Pinot Noir Sun Chase Vnyrd SC
12 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard SC
12 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast PN (QPR!) $25.00
10 Rhys Horseshoe Chardonnay SCM
10 Carlisle Syrah Sonoma County (QPR!) $19.50
09 Samsara Pinot Noir Rancho la Vina SRH
Marcus Ford

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #30  Postby Marcus Ford » March 5th 2014, 6:05pm

If it's true that he's successfully steering the Chinese wine buying public to USA, South America, and Australia, presumably to his style of wine, it seems like a blessing in disguise to keep other regions relatively affordable for the time being.

Just as an FYI, all the wines served in Beijing and Shanghai were Bordeaux
Shanghaimarcus
ITB in China, 14
Marcus Stanley

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #31  Postby Marcus Stanley » March 5th 2014, 6:09pm

Bill Klapp wrote:And I smile every time that I think of Bob reading The HoseMaster and actually believing that public ridicule by a blogger is the sincerest form of flattery...

Actually, Bill, the Hosemaster got in some ridicule for you too:

It seemed like a lot of those wine writers came to hear this Parker guy but they didn’t like him, so it’s like paying to go to a Yanni concert if you have any taste in music. You hate him as soon as your clenched little butthole hits the seat. So that was weird, it was like this weird mix of people who had the Duck man up on a pedestal, worshipped him like he was something they’d never achieve, like an original idea, and a whole bunch of people who thought he was an arrogant old windbag who’d f*cked up their whole pathetic little wine business, like he was to blame for all that’s shitty in wine writing, like he’s the f*cking A-Rod of wine.

[cheers.gif]
David M. Bueker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #32  Postby David M. Bueker » March 5th 2014, 6:26pm

Parker can't let it go. Neither can Bill. Separated at rant.
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #33  Postby ClarkstonMark » March 5th 2014, 6:29pm

Bruce G wrote:You missed this one, Bill...
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

"As a Neil Young song screamed...".this is such a bunch of crap"....if you want to trash California cult wines ...please name them...based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve's 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie...unless of course they have been badly stored....if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought....Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of "different tastes for different writers"ain't gonna' fly either....they are alleged to be professional writers...and this dribble misleads their readers...at the very minimum....would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?...are these two guys clones...twins...separated at birth?....they sure sound like it...I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture."

That's more like it .... don't you think.... and mentions Leve too....
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
Thomas Keim

Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Post #34  Postby Thomas Keim » March 5th 2014, 6:33pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:

This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.

I guess you are right. As long as he is not parked outside his house staring into the windows with binoculars, it's probably just a harmless waste of energy. Although I wouldn't put that past him....
ITB
Kyle Schlachter
(Online)

Hmmm...

Post #35  Postby Kyle Schlachter » March 5th 2014, 7:19pm

Larry P wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
Tom

+1 and this tasting was at a wine writers convention, no? Google only turns up talk about RMP's comment.

I did not attend, but heard from someone that did (David White) that the wines were quite nice and people enjoyed it.

I've personally tasted several of the wines and enjoyed them myself. They definitely have acid, but are not emaciated nor hollow, in my opinion (whatever that is worth...).
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Return to Wine Talk