Great blog by Eric Guido on Amarone

A wine I hope to get to experience more, as it draws a balance between the mega-richness and full-bodied requirements Jen has with the complexity and food-friendly advantages I like.

Perhaps it’s a description like this, which sounds quite a bit like a Berserker to me:

Nowhere else in the world have I found a wine like Amarone. Many regions try to recreate it, and some make good wines, but a great Amarone is an island onto itself. These are wines of immense proportion, with a richness and weight that is seldom achieved, while maintaining a wine of balance. And balance is what Amarone is all about. It’s the balance that allows Amarone to achieve +15% alcohol without seeming hot or flabby, and it’s that same balance which marries intensely ripe fruit with a contrast of dark bitter flavors. > Many great wines are compared to the grace of a ballerina with their underlying power–Amarone has all of that, yet with a sassy, extroverted personality that loves a good party. >

[berserker.gif]

Absolutely agree, and very well said.

I would add Sforzato to that, some stunning examples out there.

Well written indeed. Unfortunately, too often i find Amarones that are NOT in balance but instead too hot and too jammy… probably i have not searched out the good stuff, but as a category in total amarone contains a lot of worthless plonk, atleast here in Northen europe where it is the favorite wine of many and supermarkets are flooded with dreadfull examples

p.s. only one from his list i have tried is the Zenato, and i completely agree with his review, that is a wine that floats my boat!

I had a 2009 Sandro Fay Sforzato last week. It was very much like Amarone.

Imagine what a great surprise it was to come here and see this tonight? I’m really glad you guys enjoyed the blog post. I love this time of year because all the new releases start hitting our shores and the producers are happy to spend time talking about them. Amarone is one of my favorite wines (and a huge hit with the wife), so you can imagine that I take this sort of piece very serious.

I got my eyes opened to Amarone about 2 months ago. Was ready to dive in deep until I saw the prices. Still want to explore it, just need to be a little more thoughtful about it. Really looking forward to drinking more Amarone.

I’ve never tasted Amarone; great TN and feedback on several choices to seek out. WHWC has the Zenato in stock right now; I’m in.

Le Ragose,are making some very good amarone in the traditional style,and they are prized very reasonable in Denmark anyway.You can get them on sale around Christmas for 28 bucks ,and,and when it is not 45 bucks.I know it is a supermarket wine,but Le ragose is a very serious pruducer,and making some very good wine in this prize level.