TN: A Rousseau P. & F. Chambertin 1983

This one goes with another thread on French '83’s that recently got going and I slipped it in elsewhere, but since it’s sort of a WOML (wine of my life) for me, I thought I would give it its own heading.

Color: on the pour a richer red that becomes lighter, bricking is very noticeable in the glass, slightly brown in places
Nose: violets, crushed rocks, truffles, very strong spice component. The nose is a thing of beauty, and it would have been almost worth it for it alone, kept going back to it the whole two hours we were drinking.
Palate: at first slight taint of cork, eventually blows away, sweetness of the fruit still discernible, long finish where rocks-slate show through. The actual wine seems not as complex initially as the nose–appears somewhat past its prime. But then it opens up—truffles come to the fore, behind it is recognizable the dark almost licorice or cheroot side of Chambertin, along with violets, becomes almost psychedelic in its complexity. Last two glasses, as usual, the best: no cork at all, and the whole thing comes into balance: Gevrey Chambertin briariness turned old and mellow, tannins largely resolved, but still registering, baking spices (tumeric, clove?) very active, slate/rocks, enormous truffle finish…just amazing …

Really nice note Joshua! Many '83s are drinking just fine to great - thx for sharing.

Awesome note. Thank you for sharing. 1983 is my birthyear, and I’d love to find a bottle of this wine that I could afford (doubtful).

The 93 Rousseau Chambertin is probably the WOML for me, given that it was the first really serious bottle I tasted after catching the wine bug, and I had it on my honeymoon at Troisgros (for ~200 Euro in 2007!).

Like that descriptor!! What ever happened to them…and to the style of RB they were making n 1983?? “Progress” is not all positive. (And , lots of people thought that 1983 RB was “somewhat past its prime” as early as 1990! due to the early browning.)

1983 has provided more of the best wines of my life than any other vintage of RB…though 1990 is a solid second place and is still closing. A grossly underrated vintage that has only recently unfurled its majesty. And, IMO, Rousseau wasn’t at the very top of the heap in 1983, though I’ve had some good ones.

Would love to find a source for virtually any '83s at this point. For its first 20 years of life, the vintage was dismissed by rot (which I’ve NEVER found in any wine) and early browning (which is the case.) So, there was a lot on the market at one time.

And…alas…the “barnyardy”, “older” style of Burgundy (I guess with some “cheroot” too) had its last great hurrah with 1983. After that the boomer generation took over and introduced all sorts of hygeine into the winemaking and elevage…and that “barnyard” that everyone loved so much in RB became recognized as “undesirable”…which it was in many cases in many vintages. The great, near-overripe fruit in 1983 was a perfect match for those elements , though…

Great tasting note and experience. The charm of old Burgundies and particular Rousseau Chambertin needs to e experienced by everyone to get the real feel.

Planning to open a 2001 Rousseau Chambertin next week for a friend. Yes, its young but what the heck!

I had an awesome Jean Gros Clos Vougeot last night, awesome wine, count me in as an 83 fan!

Very nice note, Joshua.
The '83 Rousseau Clos de Beze, drunk around 4 years ago, was similar to your Chambertin. An ethereal nose, with dark fruit and the sauvage Gevrey notes. I remember the wine vividly years later!

Just shared a 1983 Gouges NSG Pruliers with friends last night. Still a pup. Popped and poured & after 45 mins was starting to exude the sweet fruit core that IMO will eventually emerge from all Gouges wines - if you survive that long:~) I should have given the wine a 2-hour decant.

Thanks everyone for your comments, and especially Stuart who encouraged me to go for it in the first place!

Andy: the same place where I found the Chambertin also had the Rousseau 83 Beze. (None of these wines–in fact no French wine— is currently on their list by the way.) I had heard/read slightly better things about the Chambertin, so I went for that.

At another restaurant recently, The Inn at Little Washington, I found Jacky Truchot '04 Charmes (for $150!). No green-meanies (at least not to my buds) but not the mind-blowing experience of the Rousseau.

In the meantime, then, we can all keep looking out for my '83’s, with the exception of those of us who still own them. (I got interested in wine initially around then, but like so many it was the 82 Bordeaux. Don’t have any of those either anymore sadly.)

Happy Hunting!
Josh