2004 Chablis "Vaillons" (Christian Moreau) [YUM]

2004 Chablis “Vaillons” (Christian Moreau) - 13% alcohol
Youthful light/medium yellow.
Fine nose of seasalt, chalk and lemon custard.
Firm, minerally, green lime/apple fruit with a long, structured “mouthful o’ rocks” finish.
A REALLY fine example of what this vineyard can produce. An overachiever!
Assuming no future Pre-Mox issues, this wine can age and improve for a few more years (A big assumption).
I say why take the chance? It is drinking very well now!
[94 pts]

TTT

Consider yourself lucky, Paul - I’ve already had several bottles of the used-to-be-stellar 2004 Moreau Les Clos that have been pre-moxed. [soap.gif]

This is almost 10 years after the vintage. At this stage you’re out of the safe (young) zone, all the bottles are either pristine or premoxed. So the premoxed aspect doesn’t really matter any more, it’s pretty much all about whether you prefer the current wine or what it will be a few more years down the road…

That’s a really interesting observation, one I hadn’t really heard before. So you’re saying there is no “continuum,” bottles either premox, or develop properly?

And Paul, thanks for the note, a producer I quite like (and we visited there back in 2011).

I think this is an interesting approach as well but one I subscribe to. For example, I’ve got three bottles of P. Morey M-P 2004 that I’m assuming are either shot already, or are not nearly ready to drink but progressing along as they should. Therefore, no point at all of opening any now.

I bought a case of this wine. Have drunk 8; only one has been premoxed. Great wine. But I’m a drinker at this stage.

I look at it as a disease that declares itself around age 7-8, and you can’t know until you open the bottle. Basically if you want until 7-8 years after the vintage, then in my view you’ve effectively already made your bet and there’s no point in rushing to know whether you were right or wrong.

That makes sense, and would “ease the pain” of trying to decide about opening certain bottles. I may have to start calling it Schrodinger’s Premox :wink:

Schrodingers Chablis. That’s the funniest thing I’ve read here for a while … thank you.

I look at it exactly as Schrödinger’s premox, actually :slight_smile: