Layfolk visiting with Alex and Graeme MacDonald

Mel and I had the very special opportunity to visit with the MacDonald Bros Thursday on our way home from SF. We knew, and always liked, Graeme from his days at Scholium Project but he and Alex were extraordinary in extending this kind of hospitality to non-ITB folks like us. We were buyers of their initial release.

Walking this unique plot of old vines and getting the history straight from those who lived it was a remarkable way for us to end our mini-vacation. Standing among 60+ year-old Cabernet Sauvignon vines, surrounded by all of To-Kalon, and eventually spending time in the Sauvignon Blanc I-Block Vineyard will forever change how I drive that stretch of Hwy 29 - it was simply unforgettable!

What struck Mel & I most was the theme of conservancy that emanates from the MacDonalds and so befits the serene nature of this special, extraordinarily valuable piece of Napa Valley land. It is easy as consumers to feel their sense of pride in accomplishing this stewardship, and to realize this success is historically important and will hopefully become the legacy of their children and grandchildren.

I’ll attach the cell phone photos we took, which do no justice whatsoever. Larry Piggins, you need to wrangle an invitation and take some real quality photographs!

We got a chance to drink the 2010 MacDonald Cabernet Sauvignon, which had been double decanted 24 hours earlier and then left open and simply decanted just before we arrived. We adored this wine over the course of a lovely 45-60 minutes. The perfume is ridiculous and the pungent mid-palate transitions elegantly to a finish marked by very even, smooth tannins. It is old school, terrific Cab Sav. The only recent young wine I’ve had in this league is the precocious 2009 Monte Bello, which didn’t display the saline/mineral notes noticeable in the MacDonald. Additionally I’ll remark the 2010 MacDonald possesses real energy: it is really easily appreciated, palpable and sets this wine ever further apart from other beautiful Napa Valley Cabernets. Some of the youngest vines on this property are clone 4, a clone I have always liked in other wines. The majority of the fruit is from the older, To-Kalon clone vines.

We also tried the 2011 MacDonald, splash-decanted from a 375. If what you seek is terroir, easily marked by vintage variation, then this can be a list worth waiting on. While the structure from the much-cooler 2011 vintage is reminiscent of the 2010 the attack and fruit profile is very different. A unique brother, not a distant younger cousin, and this will be very enjoyably in its own right given proper cellaring. What 2012 and 2013 hold here will be the stuff of legend, I would imagine.

It is so very easy to root for Alex & Graeme, Godspeed on their journey.

On the way to the eldest vines…

60 + year-old Cabernet Sauvignon…

No caption necessary…

I-Block Sauvignon Blanc vine…

Nice+

Glenn - Thanks for the write up and photos!

Glad to hear your impressions of the '10 are similar to mine. Sounds like I can buy '11 without a lot of worry.

Very cool Glenn, thx for posting.

(btw, pics look great!!)

Hope I can get in quick enough this year to score a couple of bottles. Great write up Glenn, thanks.

Do they own some of the I Block SB and sell it to Mondavi…or does Mondavi own it all?

Wish you were closer Doc…we could share some I Block SB…Mmmmm!

Great report Glenn - thanks!

Mondavi, now Constellation, owns I-Block but it is legitimately a pitch shot from the end of the MacDonald’s driveway!

Until this week I thought we were the only Fume Blanc fans left out there Buzz but I was wrong, there are others.

I Block is exceedingly special.

Thanks for the notes and pic’s Glenn, i’m still aggravated I missed the 2 minute window on the last release!

Glenn,

Man you have a long drive home! You must be about equadistant from Portland as you are from SF. And thanks for your report. This Napaphobe (unless it’s from last century) has signed up to check it out.

What are you doing back in California? Thought you left for good.
I see the Macdonald name being dropped here all of a sudden, but what is the story with them?
Growers who now bottle?
Those are some awesome vines!

Glenn,

Sounds like an amazing visit and thanks for posting the pics. I was lucky enough to secure some of the '10 as well and wish Alex and Graeme nothing but the best in the years to come.

That sounds an looks fantastic. I passed on the last offer because we were literally on our way to Italy for two weeks so hopefully I will get an offer for the next release. It really hurt to be able to login to the site and know that I should not buy.

A bit closer to Portland, maybe by an hour. We were in SF for Beer Week and had to empty an East Bay wine locker so the trip home via NV was pretty easy to plan but less than easy to finish!

You’d dig this wine Paul, but MacDonald Cab Sav requires some real bottle age or a lot of prep.

My friends and I managed to visit this past weekend; Graeme and Alex were fabulous hosts. We had a great opportunity to sample the 2011 - a superb wine indeed, and, despite a cool year, not the least bit “green” or over-extracted. The grace and balance in the 2011 was absolutely stunning - like watching a principal ballerina glide effortless across a stage. Would it be wrong of me to wish upon Napa more years like 2011? … Maybe not if wines keep turning out like this …

Got offered a new job this afternoon. Was thinking about opening a 2010 MacDonald tonight to celebrate. Is it too late? Does it need a longer decant to really show what it’s all about? Thanks for the advice.

I should be there in about three weeks as part of my 10 days of tasting in Napa Valley.

I spent a morning with Graeme and Alex last week towards the end of my Napa Valley week. They presented both a pop and pour, as well as a 12 hour double decant on the 2011. The extra time initially made a notable difference but after an hour or two, that gap narrowed quite a bit to nearly indistinguishable.