Alternative to Coravin cartridges

I really like my Coravin, but the cartridges are a bit pricey. I have looked around for alternatives and found these:

http://www.amazon.com/10-pak-ReServe-Cartridges-Wine-Preservation/dp/B001HO1POS

They have worked great. You just take the plastic cap off of a Coravin cartridge and thread it onto these.

When the cartridge is empty, unscrew the plastic cap and put it on a new one. I’m actually getting more pours out of these cartridges as well.

How do you get the plastic cap off a Coravin cartridge? Mine are VERY firmly affixed.

I have removed them with force using a tool I crafted to hook into the 5 holes on the cap. I have also dipped in acetone for a few minutes and then just unscrewed it.

I am happy to remove for you or others if you send me a empty cartridge, I will send you back a plastic cap.

champagne.gif

If i may suggest, you should mass produce and market the “coravin argon cap removal tool” as the ultimate coravin accessory.

pure genius bro…

champagne.gif

This was the single primary reason that I have not purchased the Coravin. The “proprietary” argon cartridge system is really annoying since regular argon cartridges aren’t very expensive.

And, this place seems to get your cost down to about $3.25/cartridge after shipping. A lot better than the proprietary $10 ones (don’t know what they charge for shipping in addition).

http://www.preservino.com/store.aspx?prod_id=177&cat_id=2

I can’t tell from the picture, but those might not be threaded. You need threaded cartridges. I am going to check into seeing if I can get a discount from the manufacturer I listed earlier if I buy in quantity.

Nice catch. Anyone know which ones the Pungo uses - threaded or unthreaded?

It might be pretty easy to get a big group buy together for the cartridges.

I’d be in for a dozen or so replacement threaded cartridges if there is a big group buy, assuming I can also get the plastic cap thingy off.

Per Robs instructions, I’m dipping mine in acetone and screwing the caps off. Wash the caps with soap and water afterwards and let dry.

Rob: Many thanks for sharing this fix. [cheers.gif]

Confirmed. Soaked in acetone for 5 minutes. Then used pliers to grip plastic cap and twisted canister off.

Was able to use cap on non-threaded canister ok, just crammed it on.

You are a genius.

I don’t have a Coravin, but really appreciate your communication and your kind offer to others!

I’d be in on this for a quantity buy…

Anyone know if the ReServe argon cartridges will STILL work in a Coravin despite their disclaimers that they will not work? I know you can remove or rather unscrew the Coravin cartridge top using a pliers and/or first soaking it a few minutes in acetone & rinsing the cap, however the latest ReServe cartridges & Will Not Work disclaimers concern me. Anyone using the latest Reserve cartridges in their Coravin as of this date, 11-18-14?

Also interested in this. Over the past few months I have really cut back on using the Coravin due to the cost of the cartridges.

BTW, I had a chance to meet Greg Lambrecht a few weeks ago at a conference here in Montreux. The real reason they are so hardcore about the Argon is that, in his own tests over the years before they launched, he has found VERY wide variability in the quality/purity of Argon from different suppliers and correspondingly variable results. They stand firmly behind the ones they are selling. Your results may vary dramatically if you get the cheapest ones on the market and shove their adapter on. They picked one of the most expensive Argon sources to ensure the best WINE PRESERVATION results.

I compare the cost of the cartridges to the cost of the wine, and for me at $10 a cartridge the cost is justified. I only use the CV for wines over $50, and get 15 pours out of a cartridge. That’s about 5 bottles per cartridge because I only CV the first 3 glasses out of a bottle. It adds roughly $2 to the cost of the bottle. For that money I get a fresh glass every time.

Is it not 100% argon?