TN: 2011 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard

I just love wines from Las Madres. Quality fruit, quality farming, quality winemakers… It all puts a big smile on my face every time I drink one. Mike hit a home run with this 300 clone Hulda Block Syrah. Man oh man! [wow.gif]

• 2011 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (2/7/2014)
    I’ve been thinking about this wine in the back of my mind ever since I tasted it right after bottling about 18 months ago. It really spoke to me and I couldn’t resist any longer. The black olive, flower petal, smoky cured meat and blueberry/blackberry fruit on the nose is captivating but it doesn’t stop there. The palate is plush and weighty but wonderfully textured and balanced with smoky dark fruits, red meat, bustling acid, a hint of oak and a little whole cluster steminess on the backside. Man what a great bottle of wine. Delivers everything I look for in a Syrah x10. Drank over two days and do not see why the drinking window is set 2016-2020. It can easily go to 2024 but by all means give one a try now and see what it has in store. Just crazy good.
    My favorite Mike Smith Syrah to date.

Posted from CellarTracker

Our tasting with Mike was spectacular and his wines are the best. Awesome quality and great price. I see his stuff taking a predominant place in our cellar. I hate that I have to pass on the current Quivet release but I have spent too much recently.

We had this last night and I agree with you Brian, the wine is just terrific now! Au jus galore and smokiness in the nose. Unabashedly CA fruit (blue/black) and while nobody will think Hermitage it is very elegant, refined domestic Syrah. Do not think Walla Walla or a heavy Hudson Vineyard attack, it’s sleeker, less blunt but beautiful all the way.

Bravo, an achievement. I don’t recall the price but this punches with the very best domestic Syrahs easily. Our first Mike Smith Syrah at home, the land where Syrah season never really ends!

Glenn…as good as the 2011s are just wait until you try a 2012 Quivet Syrah. Oh my.

Yeah. Hard to believe but true. These just keep getting better and better.

Must resist urge to raid the cellar…

Yeah Glenn it was really nice. I popped my last one for my Syrah night offline. Will have to look into sourcing another bottle or two. On to the '12s!