Next Special Guest - Clark Smith (Feb 10 - 15, 2014) NEW DATES

We’ve confirmed Clark Smith for the week Jan 13-18, 2014 as our next Special Guest on Wine Berserkers. Here’s a brief bio, as provided by Clark:

I’ve been making and selling wine since I dropped out of MIT in 1972, first as a retailer in the east Bay and then in the cellar at Veedercrest prior to the BS and MS degrees at UC Davis, after which I was founding winemaker at R.H. Phillips in the Dunnigan Hills and then went on to start WineSmith Wines and Consulting, out of which grew patents for reverse osmosis methods for alcohol and VA removal. This gave birth to Vinovation in 1992, which specialized in developing new winemaking tools including ultrafiltration, electrodialysis and micro-oxygenation.

I make Eurocentric experimental wines for my own WineSmith brand (balanced, very long-aging Bordeaux style Cab Sauv and Cab Franc, Faux Chablis and Beaune-style Pinot Noir, and for Diamond Ridge Vineyards and Two Jakes, for whom I have been experimenting in high ticket sulfite-free Bordeaux varieties for over a decade.

In 2008, I got out of the technology business because I thought writing about wine, particularly the 99% of winemakers who own tiny brands with no distribution who need their stories told, was a better use of my time. This year, U.C. Press published > Postmodern Winemaking> , which spans a broad range of technical and social issues about which too little is being said. I also have taught a course in Fundamentals of Wine Chemistry for 29 years and am an Adjunct professor at CSU Fresno and Florida International University where I teach online introductory classes and conduct research on Wine and Music, cognitive enology, and minerality, and give edutours of the Republic of Georgia.

I sing in two local choruses and am working on a CD of songs about the real wine industry.

For those who haven’t yet read the book, but wish to, you’ve got 3 weeks or so in which to do so - some holiday reading, perhaps? Here’s a link to Amazon’s listing of the book: http://www.amazon.com/Postmodern-Winemaking-Rethinking-Science-Ancient/dp/0520282590

That’s great news, Todd. Pretty near done with Clark’s book and got lot’s of questions.
Maybe you could invite sweet Alice to chime in as well?? [stirthepothal.gif]
Tom

Sweet. The book was out of stock on Amazon for the longest time, glad to see the second printing is out now.

Clark posted a link to an interview he did: The Punch Down Episode 9 With Clark Smith: Recap | 1 Wine Dude in the thread Thoughts on next Special Guest - Clark Smith?? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers where the idea of having him here was discussed.

The interview gives you an idea of where Clark is coming from.

I admit that I skipped the song, but I had heard it before when he was at our Humboldt Wine Association meeting.

I look forward to seeing Clark get kicked around by some of the heavyweights here and to seeing his responses.

I’ve judged with Clark at various wine competitions over the past decade (as recently as the 2013 Sonoma County Harvest Fair.) he can hold his own against the best of this board. It should be fun.

Please note the dates have changed, as Clark will have BerserkerDay offers on his book, and some wines that would merit discussion when he is our Special Guest

What music should we be playing while reading his replies?

That Old Black Magic?

Touché!

Are these WineSmith wines or anything that may be limited production and sell out?

I’m interested in tasting the wines that would be discussed, but am worried they may disappear in a BerserkerDay frenzy while I’m busy with the day job.

Wine Smith currently has a sampler case for $350 and an automatic discount of 36% so the price is about $214?
http://www.winesmithwines.com/buy-wines

Pot stirrer.

It seems crazy, but I think it might be fun for them. I am sure it would be fun for us. I believe that the two of them have debated/discussed before.

I’ve been known to do that from time to time, Mary.
Actually, I thought Clark was quite gentle & even-handed in his treatment of Alice in his book. He doesn’t have much
respect for the “natural” wine movement, but he’s not “Klappy” (new adjective added to the lexicon here) about it.
Tom

I certainly would enjoy it, Andrew. I think it would be quite civilized & educational. I haven’t seen anything in Alice’s blog about her thoughts
on Clark’s book & ideas.
What I would like to see, and haven’t yet seen to my knowledge, is a discussion of Clark’s thoughts & ideas by some
of the other winemakers. I noticed in a recent interview w/ PaaulDraper, Paul referred to their winemaking at Ridge as being
“pre-industrial rather than post-modern”, which I view as a comment (but not a slap in the face…Paul wouldn’t do that) on Clark’s ideas.
I’d very much like to hear Paul’s thoughts on Clark’s ideas.
Tom

Should I reach out to Alice and see if she’s game for it?

Absolutely, Todd. It would be an amazing/exciting battle of wits. Alice will, of course, come unarmed.
Tom

Clark Smith has a wine up for sale today on Wine Woot. He fully participates in the discussion there, so if you’re interested in getting a feel for what he is about you may want to check it out.

No luck with Alice Feiring, folks. Perhaps we can get her as our Special Guest another time.

Bummer I missed theism but will definitely grab his BD offer.