Burgundy Marathon 2013! Lots of notes - VERY long

What a fabulous place the whole if burgundy is! Got back early in the morning this past Monday after a week+ trip to taste ‘12s and several other bottles. Myself and a couple of good friends ate and drank very well (lots of good beer also) – well enough to get me to go back sometime soon…. Hopefully :slight_smile:!

We started in Chablis and made our way to Beaune – then back to Paris for a quick stop. There are SEVERAL WINES that are missed but most are documented below as either quick impressions or formal notes. I’ve really wanted to keep my thoughts together about the wines I taste as over the past several years – will continue to do so. In short, the 2012s are fabulous in their own way. This is in comparison to the 2010s I tasted in burgundy at the same time of their development 2 years ago. Generally, the 2012s are poised wines that will surely please if not just a ¼ step behind many of the 2010s I got to taste (general statement here). I guess this means that one will need to buy 2012s if you like/want them (I’m in this camp). This also means that you should backfill with ‘10s if you’re so inclined with the lack of wine and increased prices on the way :slight_smile:! Of the 2011’s tasted, I didn’t get any of the HORRID lady bug chemical taint that plague many of the 2004 red burgundies. For some, there were definitely some cool spicy floral aromatics that would be present in wines that had whole clusters. This is in no way a detriment to the overall quality of the wine – at this point in time. In fact, natural steminess isn’t a flaw at all in these types of wines/vintages (use of whole clusters) – something to be celebrated as a part of the fabric of these wines for sure IMHO.

The week started with a trip to the wonderful Signe Chablis right there among the high rise buildings of downtown Chablis :slight_smile: - not to far from the Hostellerie des Clos (a nice place by the way!). A cool little wine shop with finger foods and a great selection of Chablis to choose/sample from. I got samples of some great whiskies that was a part of a tasting flight they had going – the Eagle Rare 17 was fabulous! We picked stuff we’d never had before and did well.

2010 Domaine Jean Collet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre: Fresh sensations here – twist of lime – kinda round is what I have written down. I think the vintage did this wine well as it’s a gulp down wine for sure! A nice first wine after traveling.

2010 Domaine Hamelin Chablis 1er Cru VauLigneau: This was super – good enough our group ended up buying more as we sat there and I purchased a case at the low price of 15E. Lovely floral aromatics – great combo of salinity and fruit density. A winner from a producer I’ve never heard of and a 1er vineyard I’ve never sampled before. Yum!

2010 Domaine de L’Abbaye du Petit Quincy Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre: Another winner but slightly behind the Hamelin for me and the others. Wafts of lime honey, salty air, and cold apples. Medium finish makes this yet another gulp worthy Chablis.

2007 Domaine Vocoret et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Valmur: This was less than exciting for me. Average at best wine that just didn’t seem to want to come together. Not bad – just not as good as the above.

2010 Domaine Hamelin Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy: Richer fruit here when compared to the VauLigneau. Good tension but doesn’t hold it’s own next to that vibrant VauLigneau.

2009 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru Les Joyeuses: This was fairly nice yet simple – touches of tart red fruits and easy going tannin structure. Fresh/easy going and went well with the steak.

2008 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots: Lively little thing. Bright nose with tart soft tannins – definitely a SlB and went well with the food.

*Visit with Sebastien Dampt in Chablis! Got to see his new egg also – pretty cool and should be coming on-line with his 2013 1er Les Beugnons. He reported that he’s down 30% in 2012 and even more in 2013.
S.Dampt and the egg.jpg
2012 Sebastien Dampt Chablis: Medium richness here with lean acidity – a lovely aoc chablis with steely notes on the finish.

2012 Sebastien Dampt Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons: I very much liked this one. Savory sensations throughout with lovely chalky minerality. Lively mouthfeel that made me want more which is always a good thing – I think! I want some of this for the summer.

2012 Sebastien Dampt Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet: Another winner for me – right with the Vaillons in 2012. Perfumed nose – savory lime, minerality, touch of lavender maybe (lovely herbs). Austere at first in the mouth but with a few minutes in the glass and another sip it really seemed to perk up. Powdery cold fruits is what I have written down for the finish.

2011 Maison Dampt Chablis Grand Cru Bougros: A wine Sebastien makes with his brother – opened 2-3 days prior – neutral oak used. Very good concentration here is what I have written down. Wonderful perfumed scents of cold orchard fruits and lime zest. Long powdery finish – medium+. A well put together Chablis for sure!

2011 Maison Dampt Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: Touches of soft rosemary and saline drenched meringue. Balanced acidity for sure – dialed back when compared to the 1ers. To tell you the truth – this is a lovely wine but the quality and precision of the 1ers from Sebastian are true values!

2012 Sebastien Dampt Chablis Grand Cru Valmur: Didn’t get to taste but I have written down that I need to buy this :slight_smile: – for whatever reason!

*Visit with Nathalie at Domaine Nathalie et Gilles in Fontenay-Pres-Chablis. A nice tour and selection of wines were awaiting us – there’s a great view from the tasting room down the valley. She reported that they’re down 40% in 2012 and 50% in 2013 when compared to a “normal” vintage.

2012 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis (Marcel et Blanche): Overall, a touch more richly fruited in style here compared to the S.Dampt stuff. Flashes of savory grapefruit aromas and flavors throughout. Lovely aoc!

2012 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume (Marcel et Blanche): Balanced fruit here – there a freshness with a combo of nice acidity that is quite pleasing (less acidity than the ’11 version). I really liked this one for its overall quality and charm – would go really well with chicken piccata is what I have written down. Will need to try this out one day!

2011 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis 1er Cru Vaulorent (Marcel et Blanche): 15% new oak here – I have three check marks next to this one because I must have really like it! Lime cream, sea salt, floral perfume, savory acidity – medium++ finish really rounds this wine out nice. A great little Chablis 1er that would/could make anyone happy!

2011 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu (Marcel et Blanche): Both the Fourchaume, MdM, and the Vaulorent are winners – there’s more body with this wine though. Well balanced with flashes of pink grapefruit, lime cream, and savory chalk – this is what I wrote down. Will be fun trying these side-by-side at some point. Both are values if you do the math!

2011 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses (Marcel et Blanche): Around 30% new oak here. I have three check marks next to this one also which again means that my first impression with this wine stuck! Flashes of lime cream, iodine, jasmine, and cold pear fruit. A nice package here – liked it.

2010 Domaine Nathalie et Gilles Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses (Marcel et Blanche): Less precise when compared to the 2011 version but still quite lively – chalky personality. Loved the energy in the ‘11 – the ’10 is a step behind this day IMHO.

*Visit with Laleure-Piot.
2012 Domaine Laleure-Piot Bourgogne Blanc Les Galtieres les galtieres: several plots make this wine from spots all over the Cote de Beaune. Hints of vanilla cream, lovely meursault flavors of rich pear and honeysuckle. A medium finish makes this lovely.

2012 Domaine Laleure-Piot Pernand-Vergelesses: 25% new oak here or thereabouts. I have two check marks next to the wine which is a good thing – depending on price! Steely fruit, honeysuckle, touches of cold peach flavors. A unique wine – quite refreshing personality.

2011 Domaine Laleure-Piot Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru “Creux de la Net": No production of this one in 2012 due to yields. Definitely a step up in richness when compared to the aoc – but – I just loved the 2012 P-V more because of it’s overall package.

2012 Domaine Laleure-Piot Chorey-les-Beaune Les Champslongs: Flashes of bright black cherry fruit, smoke, really lively fruit profile here. Seemed to lack a bit of the bright spectrum of flavors that nose had on the palate.

2012 Domaine Laleure-Piot Beaune 1er Cru Les Tuvilains: A definite step up in complexity here when compared the previous wine. Earthy aromas of lilacs, mushrooms, touches of powdery cherry scents. Finishes appropriately in the end – would buy depending on price.

*Visit with Chantelle at Pierre Amiot in MSD. Liked the wines overall – seemed to be a more delicate style of burgundy.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Morey St. Denis: Soft spoken wine here with straight forward cherry and earth flavors. Clamps down on the palate – ends with creamy tannins is what I have written down.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Aux Charmes: Soft tobacco leaves on the nose, earthy cherry, flashes of dark cherry and earth. Chalky soft tannin profile here – interesting wine for the midterm I think.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Millandes: 160 cases of this one made I think. Perfumed nose of spiced earthy berry fruit, cherry cavendish, with hints of smoked meats – this is what I wrote down at least :slight_smile:. More acidity here on the palate with a medium to medium+ finish. Lovely mid range wine in the making.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots: Decidedly darker in fruit profile here when compared to the Millandes – smokey dark cherry fruit, earth driven tannins which are a bit clamping at the moment.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes: Immediately got the gevrey character after tasting the MSD wines above. Broad dark earthy cherry scents, cold stones, and more GC earth. Overall soft mouthfeel and presence – easy going personality here.

2011 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Clos de la Roche: 15 barrels produced or thereabouts – from 5 different plots in CdlR. Not bigger than the previous wines but surely more balanced and charming! Touches of spicy plum fruit, black cherry, smoke, earthy mushrooms. The longer spiced finish on this one separates this wine from the 1ers – ending is braced by palate extending acidity. Would love to see this one add weight in the bottle as it ages.

*Visit with Jeremy at Dujac in MSD. Thanks Jeremy for guiding us through your beautiful wines! Pretty sure we tasted one of the 2012 village+ wines but I didn’t get a chance to write down a note. Either way, I’d buy any of these when/if offered!

2012 Domaine Dujac Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Gruenchers: Airy fruit profile here for me – lovely range of fresh blue/black fruits with hints of spiced cherry. Structure galore here with a lovely tannin structure – velvet like. Seems a bit stern at the moment for me; however, this will please with time!

2012 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: Soft spice here – balanced creamy red cherry – classy fruit is what I have written down. Slides a bit toward the darker berry fruit profile – nice mix. I can really see this one getting better in bottle and hope to see for myself if I can get my hands on an ample supply to last me 20 or so years!

2012 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes: Earthy dark berries here, soft black cherry, smoke. Lovely tannin structure here again with balancing acidity – loved this one!!

2012 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: Becoming one of my favorite 1ers – will need to confirm this over the years to come. Delicate broad shouldered wine with plenty of elegant spices, savory earth, creamy cherry, floral anise. Again, more savory palate presence with lovely notes of underbrush – medium+.

2012 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux: Dark wine – shows great structure. Not sure if the there isn’t just a touch of oak influence here clamping down. Dark fruits and lots of earth with hints of savory plum and black cherry. Not from Vosne for sure – will be a lovely Echezeaux in time!

2012 Domaine Dujac Charmes-Chambertin: I’m liking this CC more and more as I get to taste them from Dujac. Somewhat hidden due to reduction? Uplifted aromas of soft red berries, perfumed blackberry compote, lovely IMHO. Hard to read the palate presence of this one when I tasted it – seemed promising of course.

2012 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: I was just a wee bit disappointed at how this showed for me – the CSD seems to always be my favorite of the Dujac GCs with age. There is an underlying layering here full of cool fruits and earth – structure. I can’t wait to taste this again in bottle as it will surely show better for me!!

2012 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: The best of the range this day for me at least. Flashes of sweet spiced cherry, undertones of soft raspberry, perfumed earthy spice. Follow through with savory and long tannins. Lovely stuff here!

2012 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares: Refined wine here. I got an airy soft fruit profile leaning toward soft cherry, roses, and blue fruits – infused by granite. It’s hard for me to explain but it seems to be the same sort of layered silky mouthfeel I get from wines that come from the top of Hermitage Hill – this is a pinot of course [wow.gif]. Anywho, layered and pure flavors here full of power. Would love to try this one again in 10 years time!

2010 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Monts-Luisants Blanc: High levels of acidity here – close enough to be called a riesling per Jermemy. Lemon zest, chalky minerality, perfumed zesty stone fruit. Super refreshing mouthfeel that really perked up everyone’s palate.

2011 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: Spicy profile here again with flashes of savory red berries. There a nice fine spine of minerality here with soft acidity to compliment. Flashes of underbrush and fresh herbs that add a nice touch to the fabric of this wine. A nice enough wine for sure!

2010 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: A nice treat! A step up in density and dry extract here – not dense at all with more minerality and a cool airy spice. Lovely and balanced and almost as perfect as a Malcs could get if I had to choose a style.

2008 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: If you don’t know already – the 2008 Dujac wines are rockstars and this one is no exception. This wine is marked by all the great VR characteristics with a super savory acid spine – all seem to be in balance. I was similarly blown away by an ’08 Dujac RSV not to long ago! There are some real gems from ’08 out there if you pick wisely.

1996 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: Super nice of Jeremy to pull one of these – I have some in the cellar I guess from a recent release. Very 1996 with a sappy acid laced profile – this one has more than enough spiced earth fruit to pull it off perfectly. Drinking great now and one can see many more years of enjoyment from this one.

*Visit to Vincent Dancer in Chassagne-Montrachet. I really liked his wines!
Vincent Dancer.jpg
2012 Vincent Dancer Bourgogne Blanc: A fine and airy showing for this wine – soft structure with soft tannins. A nice enough Bourgogne – 2 barrels made.

2012 Vincent Dancer Chassagne-Montrachet: Hard to read this one as the cellar was super cold this day. Creamy fruit with enough buffering acidity to make this nice enough.

2012 Vincent Dancer Meursault: A step better than the Chassagne for me – lovely fruit here leaning toward the classic meursault profile – rich and balanced.

2012 Vincent Dancer Meursault Les Grands Charrons: A somewhat flat showing for me – I’m still wondering if it was because the cellar and weather was so cold that day! An obvious step up from the aoc with sensation of mouth filling balanced pear fruit. Would love to try this again from bottle at some point.

2012 Vincent Dancer Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Romanée: This had much cooler orchard fruits throughout and a nice backbone of minerality. I wrote down that this was very well balanced at the end of my note. Another one I’d love to try out of bottle if I could.

2012 Vincent Dancer Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Tete du Clos: Another step up in quality for me – from vines planted in 1954 in the highest part of the vineyard. Saline tinged stone fruits and a lovely rich palate feel. Medium+ finish – a lovely 1er that perked right up as I attempted to warm this up with my hands.

2012 Vincent Dancer Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: This is a Meursault Perrieres I’d love to get my hands on. Rich chalk filled fruits, plenty of dry extract, with a lick of saline laced minerality toward the end and a touch of creamy oak which is very well integrated. Classy stuff IMHO.

2012 Vincent Dancer Chevalier-Montrachet: I’d love to cellar a case of this stuff but I’m afraid this will be impossible to find – one barrel made in 2012. Chiseled and floral throughout – touches of sappy fruit, chalk, and balanced minerality. I wrote a big heart next to this tasting note!

2012 Vincent Dancer Chassagne-Montrachet rouge: A mix of plots. Tight, tight, tight – clamped down on me.

2012 Vincent Dancer Pommard 1er Cru Les Pèzerolles: This is an elegant rendition of Pommard – lacy earth driven fruit, leather, dark fruits. Elegant and poised is what I wrote down.

*Visit with Andrew Nielsen at Le Grappin! Super cool dude that is now making wine in the old Fanny Sabre facility there in Beaune – thanks for spending time with us Andrew. Got to pretty much taste everything that Andrew has in the works and my notes started to lack a bit after about 5 minutes of tasting. I wanted to soak up the time with Andrew so he’ll have to fill in the blanks below. He’s going to start up a cool disposable keg of rose program – a perfect summer sipper if I’ve ever had one! I have written down that the rose is from 60yo vines in SlB?

2013 Le Grappin Savigny-lès-Beaune rouge: High toned smoky cherry infused fruits up front with a tight and elegant mid palate – lovely tannin structure here showing a bit tight at the moment.

2013 Le Grappin Savigny-lès-Beaune blanc: Flashy cold orchard fruits with undertones of savory citrus – this is what I wrote down quickly. Liked it!

2013 Le Grappin Santenay Gravieres: I have three check marks next to this one – liked it I guess and wonder how much will make it to the US? Rocky earth, black cherry toned fruit, savory – this is what I wrote down quickly.

2013 Le Grappin Beaune Greves Blanc: Chalky toned pear fruit, touches of fruity cold apple and stone fruits. Would love to try this in bottle – 2012 was the first vintage of this per Andrew.

2012 Le Grappin Savigny-lès-Beaune rouge from bottle: More weight here – from time in the bottle or vintage? Lovely balanced fruit – medium colored and balanced wine. Yum.

2012 Le Grappin Beaune Boucherottes: Some whole clusters used here – touches of spiced cherry – a pretty wine and easy to drink. This is what I quickly wrote down….

2012 Le Grappin Savigny-lès-Beaune blanc: 2 barrels made per Andrew: Lovely stuff – the charms of the 2013 with a softness that treats this wine well. Liked it!

*Fabulous visit with Michel Mallard in Ladoix! Overall, 50% down in 2012 and 30% down in 2013 – only one barrel of Corton Charlemagne in 2013.

2010 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Côte de Nuits Villages: A great little village wine IMHO with nice freshness – a nice sipper!

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru La Corvée: I was generally impressed with the Corvee bottlings and the ’11 is no different. There was silkiness of fruit here that really pleases, open knit middle weight flavors that seemed to all be in balance.

2010 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru Les Valozières: Very much more masculine in structure and flavors when compared to the Corvee bottlings - no bad! This seemed a bit closed to me right off the bat – wish to sample this at some point in the future again.

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Aloxe-Corton 1er Cru La Toppe au Vert: More GC in quality for me is what I wrote down. Fabulous nose of violets, soft cherry aromas, medium+ minerality and balanced extract. Would like to taste this again as it seemed more open knit at this time.

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Maréchaudes: The Marechaudes from these wines stood out to me as my favorite for it’s elegance – the ’11 is balanced and pleasing. 50% stem inclusion is what I have written down – nose shows perfumed cherry and elegant notes of very well integrated oak. In balance and elegant is what I wrote down.

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Rognet: 50% whole cluster here. Masculine profile here throughout – bigger notes of smoke, denser red fruit profile here.

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Renardes: Deep cherry, masculine and balanced and needs time. This seems to be the winner right now with it’s nice vein of minerality throughout. Liked it!

2009 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru La Corvée: 1st vintage for this cuvee I believe. Very much like the bright red currant and savory cherry fruit profile here. Lovely drinker!

2010 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru La Corvée: Another winner but just a bit shy when compared to the ’09 at this point. Well balanced wine here with tighter tannins – plenty of fruit to open this one up if a bit warmer. Would love to try this again in 2-3 years.

2012 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru La Corvée: A really nice vein of smoked cherry compote, lavender scents – tight plate presence right now though. Promising!

2010 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Renardes: I wrote down that this was very much like the ’11 in stature – great to taste the two vintages close together and make note. This has more structure – one can sense this.

2005 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Maréchaudes: Served blind by Michel. Again, the elegance of the Marechaudes vineyard showed through for me. Soft color – sneaky power – elegant finish. Yum!

1992 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Maréchaudes: An off vintage?? What? Only slight browning at the edges - soft aromas of mushrooms, undergrowth, soft smoky cherry scents. Tannins show themselves at the end but the fruit here is still balancing. Michel hadn’t tasted this one for a while also – he was also impressed….

2010 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Bourgogne Blanc: Lovely easy drinker!

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Ladoix 1er Cru Les Gréchons: 50% new oak – comes from clay and chalky soils with stones – top of the hill close to CC. Touches of soft cold pear fruit here – elegant and powerful. What a lovely blanc – one that will please!

2011 Domaine Michel Mallard & Fils Corton-Charlemagne: Cold stones, flowers, pear spice, and a touch of cold custard cream – lime zest. This is what I wrote down as my first impression. Lovely and long – a very good CC IMHO.

*Visit with Mark Haisma! Thanks for spending time with us Mark – can’t wait until next time. An super cool Aussie in Burgundy (stays only north of NsG :p) – who knew…. Loved sharing a beer (or three…) with Mark and visiting the Madame at the truck stop for lunch! See the 3:05 mark on this Anthony Bordain No Reservations Burgundy Clip - - YouTube.

2012 Mark Haisma St. Romain Le Jarron: Neurtal oak. Steely bright acidity, medium length, lemon cream and more balancing acidity + traces of chalk. I wrote down that this would go great with Chicken Picatta! Hmmmm – there is probably a reason why I made Chicken Picatta a couple of nights ago. Haaaaaa

2012 Mark Haisma Bourgogne: 6 barrels made. Showed tight this day – flashes of bright cherry fruit showed through though.

2012 Mark Haisma Volnay (Poisots?): I think this is the second year for this? Definitely Volnay in the glass here – touches of herbs (complimenting!) and cool blue/black fruits. There’s a sense of muscularity here. From a plot close to RN74.

2012 Mark Haisma Gevrey-Chambertin La Croix des Champs: Made since 2007. Touches of truffle, ripe’ish earthy black fruits. Elegant bones here – nice levels of acidity and tight tannins right now. Would love to sample again at some point!

2012 Mark Haisma Nuits St. Georges aoc: First vintage for this one. Lighter color here with tinges of purple at the edges – semi electric. Lovely soft energy here – a very nice sipping wine!

2012 Mark Haisma Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Chaffots: This was a GREAT wine when I tasted it – sweet earth, spicy earth driven cherry core of fruit, powdery yet giving tannins. Lovely and well put together wine! I’m getting some of this one. 2 barrels made.

2012 Mark Haisma Bonnes Mares: The flagship – 75% whole clusters used. Touches of wood spice are buffered by classy truffle laced blue, thyme, and soft berry fruit. There’s a nice vein of minerality here – powerful yet soft. Powdery tannins here – lovely!

2011 Mark Haisma Cornas: Yep – from the Northern Rhone! This one was great to taste at the end – lovely dense blackberry fruit, earthy asphalt aromas, bing cherry. Density of syrah = lovely – nice savory acid profile also.

2012 Mark Haisma Cornas: Liked the ’11 better – this seemed larger scaled and less refreshing for whatever reason. Judgment reserved.

*Great visit at Vogue! I can still remember tasting the 2010s at the winery 2 years ago and these are just as pleasing. I truly love the wines from Vogue! The Musigny blanc vines are getting close to becoming a true Grand Cru wine – a couple of years maybe. I liked these overall just as much as the 2010s – liked the Amoureuses more in ’10 and the Bonnes Mares more in ’12.

2012 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny: Good equilibrium here with great flashes of bright blue fruits, stones, lavender. Lovely village wine :slight_smile:!

2012 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru: Flashes of purple at the edges of the glass here. Crunchy spices here – airy soft cherry, soft pomegranate with long palate extending flashes of tart acidity. Savory!

2012 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses: Wow is what I have written down. Flashes of acid drenched red currants, pomegranate, soft smoke and layers of minerality throughout. Full of energy – makes me smile!

2012 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares: I can’t wait to try the ’10 version of this again from bottle – this 2012 showed great this day! Red velvet cherry, sappy blue fruits, flashes of blueberry. You get more of the Bonnes Mares flare in the mouth – great density of fruit and minerality. Lovely!

2012 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes: Darkest wine of the bunch – dense elegance is what I first wrote down. Savory minerality, spices, smoke, flashes of airy spiced blue fruits. Poised wine – showing a bit more masculine than the ’10 showed at the same stage.

*Marathon tasting at Jadot. This is by far the best way to taste a vintage – such a range of wines treated the same way for the most part. I tasted the ‘10s at the winery in the same fashion. I may have missed a few but did my best to get good notes down as we went.

2012 Louis Jadot Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru En Caradeux Clos de la Croix de Pierre: What a classy little wine this is – if priced well buy! This is what I wrote down…. Over this trip I found myself liking several red and white Pernand-Vergelesses!

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Theurons: I like this bottling generally – went through lots of ½ bottles of the 2002 of this one. This one seemed tight when tasted this day – shame, judgment reserved.

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Le Cras: 2nd vintage for this one and Jadot. More violet ladened red fruits here – cold crushed rocks is what I wrote down. Liked this the most out of all the Beaune 1ers.

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Chouacheux Domaine Gagey: Just a so-so showing here. There was some nice earthy truffle aromas here but the palate shut down. Judgment reserved.

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune Cent-Vignes: My first time tasting this from Jadot for whatever reason. I wrote down that this was my pick for a value wine depending on price of course. A nice balanced Beaune.

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Boucherottes: A taught wine – giving flashes of flashy currant scents and smoky cherries. Plum fruit throughout – dark. Liked this one.

2012 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Ursules Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot: This one seemed to have a nice spine of acidity that really complimented the fruit here. Savory cherry, earthy truffle spice, a wee bit lean on the palate which left me wanting more body. A pretty wine for me with sneaky tannins.

2012 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Santenots: Another one I don’t think I’ve ever sampled from Jadot. Well balanced and a nice change from the previous Beaune wines. Airy pure soft cherry fruit here – balanced tannins. A nice package if you ask me – easy drinking.

2012 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Barre: A nice wine for sure – liked this maybe 2-3 points more than the Santenots. Riper dark berries here, purple stuff, nice spine of acidity and medium tannins. I’d buy this!

2012 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Clos de la Commaraine: A feminine version of pommard here IMHO – lovely earthy red fruits, dark earth, touch of mint. Balanced throughout – liked this. Leaning toward the elegant side of the spectrum.

2012 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot: I still have a few ‘90s of this – still going strong. Powdery black fruits here, stones, mint, flashes of black raspberry – nice. I noted more energy here than anything prior – lovely.

2012 Louis Jadot Corton-Grèves: x4 barrels made of this. Small black fruits and more earthy blackberry here – tannins are fine and savory. A nice wine but I’ll give a slight edge to the Pougets for my tastes.

2012 Louis Jadot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots Domaine Gagey: Blue fruits, touch of thyme is what I wrote first. Broad shouldered wine – even handed delivery of fruit and nice follow through. A good value!

2012 Louis Jadot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots: 3 barrels made. I’ve never thought the Suchots from Jadot was close to being the best out there – but – this one is ultra refined and classy juice. Flashes of spiced raspberry dominate with more dark berries. There a finesse here that shows through – showed well from barrel.

2012 Louis Jadot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: 2 barrels made. Darker personality – black currant, all spice. Tight in the mouth as there seems to be more extract here even though the color seems about the same ruby jewel color as the Suchots. Would like to sample this again in the future to see what happens.

2012 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées: I’ve never had a Fuees from any producer that has caught my attention. This is a nice enough wine but just didn’t distinguish itself to me. Flashes of chunky red fruit and a touch of menthol is what I have written down as my first impression.

2012 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes Domaine Gagey: I really can get that this one is a scaled down Bonnes Mares - nice levels of extract here, cool fruits, balanced yet somewhat tight - the cellar is cold! Just like in '10 - I’ll want to get a few of these.

2012 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Petite Chapelle: I have a yes next to this one – one that I liked apparently. There was some nice flashy high toned cherry fruit here buffered by nice notes of savory heme and truffles. I liked the nose – the palate flowed well from the nose. Would love to try this again from bottle.

2012 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques: 3 barrels made. A touch of toast here on the nose to start – quickly integrates with savory earthy licks of black berries, rocks, and truffles. My quick note had two checks next to this one – liked it I guess.

2012 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: 14 barrels produced. An almost yearly purchase for me – the ’96 of this one is drinking great now. Elegant as usual – understated earthy components of silky black currant, cherry infused minerals, lovely palate extending structure. Liked this!

2012 Louis Jadot Grands-Echezeaux: 4 barrels produced. The grand cru room at Jadot was painfully empty because the ‘11s had been moved out and there is so little of the ‘12s. There’s an immediate step up in density – tight truffle scents, dark black earthy fruits, touches of wood spice. Dense in the mouth – dark.

2012 Louis Jadot Echezeaux: This was a tight sucker to read – tighter and more unyielding than the GE. Judgment reserved.

2012 Louis Jadot Clos de la Roche: Wow – this was the best CdlR (young or not) I’ve sampled from Jadot. Immediately, spiced earth jump out – savory heme infused black fruits and black raspberry. Nice levels of bracing acidity from start to finish – seems like this will please.

2012 Louis Jadot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: Fine and elegant – more tart fruits here – less spice than I was expecting but the fruit is true and pure. Wonder if this will add some nice weight in bottle – would love to find out!

2012 Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis: More savory meat components here – smoke, underbrush, blackberry, flashes of savory cherry – touch of menthol. The nose says “dense” but the palate is very well balanced and fine. I actually very much liked this one – CSD is one of my favorite grand cru vineyards and I haven’t had many from Jadot.

2012 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot: Muscular and tight is what I wrote down. Not yielding much to me that day. Judgment reserved.

2012 Louis Jadot Mazis-Chambertin: 2 barrels made. Airy blue fruits to start – touch of oak spice. I needed more time with this one to coax out more but that wasn’t going to happen – onto the next wine :slight_smile:.

2012 Louis Jadot Griotte-Chambertin: I have several checks next to this note – guess I liked it. Darker cherry scents – elegant throughout with a really nice perfume to the nose. There’s a nice spice of minerality here that really compliments the wine. Liked.

2012 Louis Jadot Chapelle-Chambertin: Lighter style here – less umf when compared to the Griotte-Chambertin is what I wrote down first. Soft tannins give a nice lasting impression of this wine in the mouth. Different style – still nice.

2012 Louis Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Bèze: Really nice spice is what I wrote now first. The nose is complete with layers of interesting stuff going on. The palate was a bit tight but everything is there and in balance. Lovely stuff!

2012 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares: Blackberry, granite, powerful earth is what I wrote down first. Continues with soft red berries – such a refreshing lick of minerality on the palate. Fine and powerful.

2012 Louis Jadot Musigny: 2 barrels made. Lovely touches of clove, perfumed spice, blueberry, aromatic – lots of underbrush and cold berry aromas. Fills the mouth – creamy yet tight tannins for me. Seems like this would age nicely for years!

2012 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses: Touch more dark here – darker than I expected. Dense red berry profile with flashes of tart cherry. I immediately compared this one to the ’12 Vogue Amoose in my head – different style for sure with the Vogue winning out for me with its piercing minerality.

2012 Louis Jadot Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru En Caradeux Clos de la Croix de Pierre Blanc: Bright acidity and savory goodness – I can’t tell you how good this tasted after sampling all the reds!!! I could have gulped this down. Anywho, this is a value buy!

2012 Louis Jadot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Flashes of cold pear fruit, salty cold almonds – middle weight heft in the mouth with a touch of wood spice – impressed me!

2012 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Clos de la Chapelle Domaine du Duc de Magenta blanc: Broader wine – like a Chassagne should seem to be. I liked it but didn’t write down anything specific.

2012 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières: 3 barrels made. More elegant profile here – soft savory stone fruits, touch or orange blossom, nice acidity. Seemed to be a complete wine – wouldn’t mind sampling this one again.

2012 Louis Jadot Corton-Charlemagne Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot: Touches of creamy oak here – leads a broader fruit profile – flashes of lime cream, cold pear. The oak on the nose didn’t translate to the palate – savory middle weight palate presence.

2012 Louis Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles Domaine des Héritiers Louis Jadot: 5 barrels made. Lots of checks next to this one for me. Thinking back to tasting the ’10 version of this – this ’12 version is stacked with a more saline tinged fruit profile. Loamy minerality, perfumed touches of meringue, cold lime cream. Well integrated and complete white burgundy – would love to get this in my cellar.

2012 Louis Jadot Montrachet: This showed very well – lightly salted cold custard, creamy mineral ladened honeysuckle, touches of crème caramel (had this a lot as a dessert on the trip), rich poached pear, anise. Really long and mouth filling! Lovely.

*A fabulouse visit with Louis-Michel at Comte Liger-Belair right there in the middle of Vosne Romanee. We had a couple of pretty cool tasting partners there that day – fun! These wines are the stuff of my dreams…. One thing is apparent when tasting the wines of Comte Liger-Belair – there’s a wonderful backbone of minerality in all of these wines that provides such energy and freshness. Lovely stuff! Only problem is that there is so little of these wines due to the vintage.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos des Grand Vignes Blanc: Yep, a white wine from L-B – super cool. Meursault style here with wonderful freshness. Touches of balanced ripe fruit throughout with great balance – a nice surprise to start out tasting such a great set of wines.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée: Blend of 12 different parcels throughout Vosne – mostly clay soils. Wonderfully fresh dark berry flavors and soft tannins – cool and airy personality. This is a village wine I could really love!

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée La Colombiere: No whole cluster here but I got a slight touch of floral aromatics on the nose to start – adds the overall fabric of this wine IMHO. Red currants and soft medium+ savory cherry flavors. Medium density in the mouth – AOK showing for me.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Château: Deep long nose of mixed vosne spices here – this was great to draw in a full nose after a few quick swirls I the glass. Quite floral to me that really follows through to the palate – lovely. Can’t wait to cellar some of these so I can follow it!

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Brulees: 2 barrels of this one produced – or thereabouts. Cooler mouthfeel here – nose is filled with notes of earthy spice, truffles, savory plum, and silky tannins – so long. A wow wine and a great Brulees.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos des Grand Vignes rouge: Bright notes of savory cherry, red currants, loamy earth. This is a well but together wine for sure but I long for the Vosne wines! Still, I’d buy all I could get of this if offered :slight_smile:.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Petits Monts: 2 barrels produced. This was the first wine I got a quick waft of gingerbread spice to start which quickly morphed into spiced cherry compote and other soft Vosne spice components – wow! Elegant wine with plenty of personality and charm. Quite possibly the best Petits Monts I’ve ever tasted.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Aux Cras: I have limestone written first – more for the texture I believe. Savory bright berries on the nose with bright notes of truffles and earth. Medium+ body – I wouldn’t kick this one out of bed!

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots: Sexy beast is what I wrote down first! Elegant style here with plenty of mineral ladened power in the background. Layers of flavorful black fruits, spice, flashes of gunpowder. A complete wine for me and would love to have cases of this to follow – not going to happen.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux: Darker personality – perfect touches of oak spice and earthy cherry. Flowers, red currant, great palate presence. A stylish Echezeaux that could stand up to the best made IMHO.

2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanée: Just about perfect – layers of soft berry fruits floating on the palate, earthy layers of spiced blackberries, so long with just enough perfectly placed acid laced minerals. I drank my whole sample – sorry LM [cheers.gif].

2009 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots: Broad structure here where I think the bright spine of minerality that shows in these wines did this wine well. Floral aromatics with bigger notes of black cherry and violets. A good showing and a wine I’d love to own.

2006 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux: I’m so glad that LM opened this one – I do think many ’06 red burgs will please for years to come – this is no exception. Long limestone infused red cherry fruit, savory floral components, more earth driven minerality through the end. Lovely stuff here.

2007 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanée: Pop – just another La Romanee poured for our benefit flirtysmile. Elegant and pure with a great spine from start to finish. Cooler fruit profile here when compared to the 2012 – to tell you the truth this is better drinking now! Purple spiced “stuff” throughout, flashes of acid laced cassis, refreshing finish with savory tannins.

WINES WITH LUNCHES AND DINNERS! Several are missing but these are the most memorable……

2004 Jacques Lassaigne Champagne Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs Millésimé: I think we had this decanted – this went down quick! Frothy bubbles that really got the nose going – lots of chalky minerality here. Yum.

2006 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: A great showing – cool orchard fruit, lush minerality throughout, medium+ bodied wine that pulls it off with great balance. A very good ’06 white burg.

1998 Domaine J. Chamonard Morgon Le Clos de Lys: What a nice surprise! Slight browning at the edges, smoky cherry, touches of leather spice, fresh tobacco.

2010 Lucien Le Moine Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges: Bigger style here – seems to be soaked in spices – broad shouldered. Still, plenty of underlying density in there to give hope.

2008 Hubert Lignier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes: I had never had a Baudes from H. Lignier before – interesting to sip on. Yet another ’08 red burg I like – acid laced black fruits and earthy loam. Like.

2009 Maison P-U-R (Cyril Alonso and Florian Looze) Côte-Rôtie En Coteau: Bright blue label on this one – a Cote-Rotie was needed at this time of night. Blackberry compote with a nice layered approach with savory acid and heme. This is a winner!

2009 Jean-Pierre Grossot Chablis 1er Cru Les Fourneaux: Sure – a 2009 Chablis? This was AOK with ripe chablis salinity throughout – enough acid to make this pleasurable.

2007 Vincent Dancer Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Loved this one – touches of custard, cold lime twist, honeysuckle, wafts of savory pear. Maybe lacking a bit of acid on the palate but other that that I remember this being good.

2010 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Blanc: No reduction here – nice balance of savory orchard fruit and heady mineral components. Not a true blockbuster but drinks like a super good 1er from almost anyone else. How do they do this at C-D???

2009 Benjamin Leroux Volnay 1er Cru Les Mitans: I own some recent vintages of the Lafarge Mitans but have never sampled one in bottle. B.Leroux is making interesting wines IMHO so I ordered up this. Dense fruit here – savory flashes of cassis and bing cherry – spiced. Darker for sure with just a flare up of etoh on the end of this. Still, a nice wine.

2010 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny: Another airy and nice village wine from a super vintage – priced accordingly unfortunately. Nice showing with airy chambolle blue fruits and savory acidity – quite refreshing.

2004 Coche-Dury Meursault: Rich and refreshing at the same time – this is what I call balance.

2006 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault Les Tessons Clos de Mon Plaisir: A wee bit disappointing for me. Just seemed a bit flabby.

2007 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux: These next two wines went with the lunch of the trip – and – with the perfectly puffed potato disks! This wine was quite charming – loved it actually like many ’07 white burgs I’ve come across recently.

2011 Domaine Maratray-Dubreuil Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Iles des Vergelesses: This was quite pleasing and went really well with my beef bourgogne :astonished:).

2011 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet: Ultimately a fresh and pleasing wine – a touch of mint, savory cold orchard fruits – touch of smoke. Lovely.

2011 Domaine Ramonet Puligny-Montrachet: Richer profile here – touches of cream here which added to overall experience. Wonderful texture here – nice village Puligny.

2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot rouge: A cool wine to taste – hadn’t had a Ramonet C-M rouge so young before. Smoky black cherry, limestone, wet rocks, savory underbrush. Interesting stuff and would love to try this after some time in bottle.

2010 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Gevrey-Chambertin Roncevie: Ordered at a wine bar so it may have been shook up a bit. Dark, dark, dark – tart earthy fruits – tight.

Oh yeah – some really nice pints of beer! The one below was especially refreshing [cheers.gif].
Beer.jpg
THE END!

Hi Jon, gold medal for the most notes but with really useful info. 2012 sounds really good and I am a buyer. Loved the entire post. Great read… champagne.gif

Cheers Brodie

Thx Brodie! Just wait until I add my copious notes on the mid year 2013 vintage beers we consumed - Yummy :slight_smile:. Hope all is well!

When I make my first trip to Burgundy…I want you as my tour guide! You do it right!

[worship.gif]

Jonathan, thank you very much, amazing to be able to capture all this information in real time at tastings. Like Brodie, I am also looking forward to 2012 offers, unfortunately it is such a small vintage (and here I’m being told to expect 30-40 % price increases on 2011 prices).

Howard

Well done Jonathan, some great addresses there. Where were some of the places you ate?

Best Regards
Jeremy

Jonathan, epic. Did you have relationships already to get the appointments, or did you get introductions etc.?

Thanks for all the notes and taking one for the team - I hope your liver is still in fine shape!

Bravo, Jonathan. Thank you. [cheers.gif]

Caves Madeline is one of my favorites! Had a great lunch with the Madame at the truck stop near MSD - see the 3:05 mark during the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations Burgundy show (- YouTube) [drinkers.gif]. The table wine wasn’t all that bad - didn’t include any note [wow.gif]. Seriously Jeremy, if you haven’t been there - it’s worth a trip or two…

Cave des Arches was on point this trip!

Have you been to Auberge La Miotte in Ladoix-Serrigny? The potato disks are to DIE for - perfectly salty fluffy disks of potato goodness flirtysmile. The escargot isn’t all that bad either.

Is this trip to burgundy before or after you make it to Berns with me??? [cheers.gif]

I felt like asking the same question at all my visits - “where are you hiding all the barrels full of wine?”. They just aren’t there - kinda depressing!

Relationships mostly. I really liked my visits!

Ahhhhummm. 2012 Comte L-B? neener

The man himself below - he’s only 2 months older than me!
LM L-B.jpg

Yep, the potato disks with duck confit and a nice bottle of red Burg. You are making me hungry.

Now we’re talking!!

damn impressive! wish I were (or was) in burgundy! great notes.

Great notes! Got to bookmark this thread as a reference as 2012 offerings start coming next month!

Very nice Jon.
Some great notes.

Bravo!