Virginia Wine: The National Stage?

Over the past several hours I’ve read through quite a few threads on here, dating back two to three years, which focused on the evolution of red Virginia wine. For the most part there was criticism, even shock that VA had the “nerve” to ask so much for several bottles. I also read the Weygandt tasting and the many comments from a number who passionately represent the industry. Several who were also in the industry simply couldn’t believe that VA was capable of producing a “drinkable” red wine.

Last night I took a friend and former associate (I am retired) out to dinner. We went to Red Hen near 1st and Rhode Island, N. W. which is a superb restaurant with great character (stone, brick walls, wood beam ceilings, much lighting from candles, an open hearth, outstanding food worthy of Beard consideration and an ebullient sommelier who just happen to have '09 RDV Roundezvous.

I had a case of each of the '08 RDV and Roundezvous that I’ve been sampling every couple of months. I know that only now-with two years in bottle - has it really opened up. Fruit forward, mouth coating and satiny (yes, satiny) this big, smooth wine tasted $75, tasted California, to be honest. I also knew to pour it in a decanter and let it open for over an hour before tasting. And when we did taste we used fishbowl sized glasses, frequently swirling the wine high up on their sides. Last night we opened the '09 Roundezvous and gave it two hours. Similar to the '08 it exploded in the glass to a jammy, rich, lucious wine that seemed to approach 15% alcohol.

My friend, from Vancouver couldn’t believe this.

Over the past several months I have spent far more than I expected on VA wine. With a thousand or so bottles my focus had been WA state (esp. syrahs: K Vintners, Reynvaan, Sheridan, Cayuse, Leonetti cab-all put away for several years. Bergevin Lane Moonstar is an excellent $25 cab for '10 but the top end WA syrah is among the best in the world. But it wasn’t always that way. I remember the early '90’s when leonetti and Quilceda Creek were a tough sell. Just as RDV, Glen Manor, Linden, Delaplane and several individual wines currently may be in D. C.

Since retiring my wife and I have now visited perhaps 75 or more VA wineries and a few in MD (Black Ankle, twice and Boordy). We’ve developed real opinions on a number of actual national class bottles coming out of VA that visitors should be considering trying to find. Just as Washington state was “discovered” by the WS with its groundbreaking cover issue on Leonetti calling it America’s best merlot, so will VA . We just need a front page WS cover story to get it off the ground. But it will happen. There are too many seriously good red wines to overlook of dismiss. VA will be discovered in its own way in part because of the '10 vintage for red, the ascension of petit verdot and learning how to structure a wine that may go 15 or more years and continue to improve (eg. 2001 Octagon was superb in the spring of 2013).

Glen Manor Hodder Hill '10 may be better than the '09 which won the Governor’s Cup. (His 2009 Petit Verdot-long gone may have been the best of all!). Jim Law makes an extraordinary '10 Boisseau which is not even listed on his website yet. There’s not a lot of it and he’s still aging it in the bottle-but it’s going to be released sometime over the winter. As will Glen Manor’s '10 Petit Verdot. Both of these are up there, 15.0+ per cent alcohol, lush fruit, jammy, moan inducing-well worth resting one’s nostril squarely over the middle of the fishbowl and inhaling as deeply as possible. A nose like several of these on VA wine is not an everyday event.

Delaplane makes a very good Williams Gap '10 that is almost sold out. Worth every penny of the $52 just as the '10 Boisseau is worth its $40 and '10 Hodder Hill is a bargain at $48.

I am generally not a fan of Breaux but they make a legitimately excellent Nebbiolo from 2007 that sells for about $60. Only at the winery. (Most of these are only at the wineries-and you may have to beg for several of them but that 's a slight price to pay for the true excellence that several have now achieved in Fauquier and Front Royal. Back in Loudoun, west of Hillsboro is the Hillsborough Vineyard which is a Tuscan like several centuries old stone cottage tasting room halfway up a hillside, surrounded by vines. Very good wines for the price point. Seriously consider $32 for Onyx which is a tannat. With your bottle when you walk out on the patio you’ll swear that it is Panzano or Greve across the road from you. With a few sips you’ll wonder how the foothills of the Blueridge could feel so much like Tuscany and yes, now taste so much like Tuscany in the glass.

Delaplane is half way up the side of Lost mountain-it is the ONLY other winery on Lost Mountain beside RDV. Coincidentally Jim and Betsy Dolphin grow most of their own grapes right outside of their panaramic tasting rooms which have heartstoppingly beautiful views looking down over the expansive valley in front. Ask for Williams Gap or Left Bank Reserve, both from '10. Don’t be cheap-you’ll spend $48 but you’ll drink among VA’s best.

Do the same at the exceptionately beautiful Glen Manor which backs to what looks like steep Austrian countryside in back of the tasting room. At the top of the 2000+’ tall mountain is Skyline Drive and a group of hang gliders who use arn upper area as a base to fly down the side of the mountain. Absolutely fascinating site to spend an afternoon sipping Hodder Hill or Petit Verdot and watch. Very good petit manseng, too.

Back at Linden, Jim Law is the common denominator for much of this: Rutger worked for a summer at Linden as did Jim Dolphin from Delaplane; Jeff White was once Jim Law’s winemaker! And there is also a connection with Chester Gap and perhaps more. But Jim Law has his own signatures ready to be sampled. Like RDV, give the Linden wines at least an hour open and decanted, drank in large glasses: Boisseau 2010 which is 15.8% alcohol and a huge, huge fruit forward wine that I think is one of the best ever made in VA. I look forward to giving it about two years in the bottle and trying it. Fantastic potential. Avenius and Petit Verdot are drinking exceptionately well, too. And then there is the $50 Hardscrabble Red which seems that it is much tighter, that it will take a couple or more years to evolve but blossom to a fantastic signature red for Virginia.

All of these are outstanding. All of these are only at the wineries. All of these are expensive, i.e. 40-95. And all are worth it. If you go when you order have a taste of something else for at least 30 minutes. Give these wines time to open. Even a number of hours is not too long-there is real aging potential here.

Sorry for the length of this but VA is taking its first steps on the national stage. Absolutely gorgeous countryside,among the most beautiful in the U.S. And now, with 235 or more wineries in the state who want to serve the fantasies and taste of so many who will come out from D. C. and drive from elsewhere to discover them.

As Napa is worth the trip from the East Coast so are now the foothills of the Blueridge for a couple of days perhaps basing one’s self at either the Ashby Inn or the new Salamander in Middleburg.

Then, we have to talk about a drive to Charlottesville…

Joe, nice passionate post. It reads like a professional persuasion piece about the viability of Virginian wines. Very well researched.

It almost reads as if you represent the Virginia wine industry. Well done.

Joe, nice piece, but you live there.

I too lived in va for 44 years and drank the local cool aid. Now that I live in Reno and spend time in wine country, I can say va more compares to the wines I find in the foothills here.

The issue and my only issue really is price. I can drink (on average) equally good wines from amador at held the price of va.

Thanks for the very interesting post, Joe. Sounds like the basis for some exploration!

Very interesting post Joe. Thanks for sharing your views. A couple of things

First, this is a real name board. You need to include your full name, at least in your signature. Brady’s post hints at one reason. Such a lengthy, articulate and passionate defense of VA wines may be seen (likely will be seen) as a PR piece by someone connected with the industry, especially coming from someone with a total of 3 posts. It looks like an industry shill. If that isn’t the case – if you aren’t in the industry, married to the industry, or best friends with those in the industry – your post would be more effective if people knew that. If it is true, the post would still have value, but people would then be in a position to take it with whatever quantity of salt they might choose.

Second, some of those posts you refer to in earlier threads are likely mine. I have lived in VA all my life. I am happy to see the industry grow and prosper. The wines aren’t for me. First, while we can both name exceptions, I think it is the rare bottle of VA wine that can compete with the best comparably priced wines from elsewhere. And if the best one can say is “this wine is roughly in the same league as the ones you currently buy from elsewhere,” then it doesn’t really give me an incentive to buy. To move people from their established buying habits, you have to be better or cheaper or both. VA wines in my view are neither. I’ll go so far as to say no VA wine is both, at least in my experience.

Finally, as your post suggests, the target for most VA wineries is “as good as CA.” That doesn’t thrill me, because few CA wines thrill me. To seduce me, VA is going to have to change the target. VA does not have CA’s climate and cannot reasonably expect to produce the sun-dappled wines that Napa or Sonoma produce (“jammy, rich, lucious wine that seemed to approach 15% alcohol”) unless they manipulate the hell out of them, which is utterly unappealing to me.

If VA were serious about producing the best wines the climate will support, they would aim someplace else. Someplace much cooler and wetter.

Welcome aboard.

I know Joe from the DC-centric board, DonRockwell.com. Yes, he’s very passionate about Virginia wines, but he’s not in the wine business other than the buying and consuming side of things. He’s actually turned me on to more Washington State gems than Virginia wines over the years.

Glad to see you posting over here, Joe, this community will be better for it.

Well VA isn’t cool - its hot (probbaly too hot) at the height of summer but with a shorter growing season than a Mediterranean climate. Its also horribly humid, with low diurnal temperature variation. The long and short of it is that VA, with its subtropical, humid climate is not a good place, climactically, to grow vinifera, and that’s why the wines are not (and will never be) very good and are very expensive.

I disagree with almost all of this. Virginia is not subtropical, and the Appalachian areas where most of the vineyards are are decidedly untropical. Maybe you’ve never been to Front Royal or Albermarle. It isn’t hotter than Napa in the summer; indeed, I think high temps are probably on average materially cooler. It has a shorter growing season and, as I said, is wetter. There are other places that get hot and are humid that grow fine wines. Saying VA wines are not and never will be very good is a judgment, and I can’t question your own palate, but every critic who has tasted the state’s current offerings disagrees with you.

They are not, however, cheap, and they are not better, and they have to be one or the other for the industry to grow beyond their current curiosity or “tourist prop” stage.

I agree with almost all of this,but until VA wines,such as the aforementioned 2007 Nebbiolo for $60, are more reasonable/realistic in price,the quality is going to have to be much,much better.
I hope that day comes.

You and I come out at the same place Bill. They are expensive and while some of them are good, they aren’t good enough for what they charge

Well Neal,I know we enjoy the same place.See photo at left.

Neal,
I was in Charlottesville last weekend and drank through 10 years of Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Octagon at Barboursville (I didn’t spit, and that’s 30 wines, so my judgement may have been a bit clouded.) IMHO, about half of these wines were as good, if not better than comparatively priced Bordeaux.

You may argue that point, because you know Bordeaux very well. I however have not had any luck finding value in Bordeaux, so I might be a good target for the VA wine industry. VA’s largest distributor of Bordeaux is Total Wine, and you are probably familiar with what they carry in the $35-$60 range. VA’s best wines in this price range are qualitatively better than what Total Wine stocks in this range (Bordeaux). I think this environment helps VA wineries if they can sell through locally, but to the OP’s point, doesn’t help at all on the national stage.

I’ve lived here most of my adult life as well - it has been fun watching the industry grow. No doubt wine quality has improved among established wineries (except Horton - I threw up in my mouth a bit with just about everything I tasted). To your point though, the wines are expensive for the winery’s top wines. When I’m in the mood for the VA flavor profile, I’d prefer to spend $40 dollars more for something like poyferre, lynch bages, etc. To me, a $90 Barton is a QPR whereas a $60 Octagon is not.

Love it. Actually, we’ve rented a house at Hatteras for the week after Christmas this year. New Years at the beach!

You disagree with me because you are don’t know from climate science, and I have a masters in climatology. Virginia - particularly the wine growing regions - is humid subtropical under the Koppen classification. The only wine-growing region of Europe that I’m aware of that is also classified as humid subtropical is Piedmont, which is materially cooler than Virginia throughout the growing season. Furthermore - and more significantly - while Piedmont gets a lot of rain for a top wine region, August-October are relatively dry (though still wettter than in a true Mediterranean climate); whereas those are very wet months in VA.

The killer combination of a hot, short summer and excessive late summer/early fall rains is fatal to wine quality. That’s why with enough money, you can squeeze out something mediocre in VA, but never something great. Why waste your money chasing the impossible, when $50 in a region thats, you know, actually climatically suited for growing wine can get you something terrific? Virginia wine is a waste of time, money, and effort, though I do admire Sisyphean endeavours because in the end, we are all fighting against the impossible.

I will add some of my comments and thoughts on the topic. Virginia has come a long way. In the 25 years that I have been in the wine/rest biz I have seen them go from a place that has some natural beauty with a few wine makers trying and stumbling around to a fairly well oiled machine. And one that can turn out an occasional good wine. But Virginia will never consistantly compete with California, Oregon or Washington. Not on the wines and not on the prices. And when you are losing the price battle to California, you know it is not good. So we are looking at 4th place. And if you focus on whites, NY might be equal or better. Not even going to bring the rest of the world into the talk. Waste of time. Big push going on in Virgina to put the wines on a level that they are not. Nothing wrong with making some good wines and having a nice tourist industry. They need to be careful. It’s a big world and it’s not safe out here.

As a side note. Two or three months ago a group of us opened both RdV wines. Six or seven people. All wine people from consumer, wine rep, wine buyer etc. One of the group is involved in the Gov cup and such has over 40+ years of wine experience. The Rendezvous was so uninteresting that it almost didn’t deserve a second taste. Mediocre wine and not worth the $50 retail. The Lost Mountain was better. If only because it didn’t have much choice. A few interesting notes in the wine, mostly from the winemaking and styling. At $90 retail a serious waste of money. In fact, it lost out to a $22 retail Bordeaux. But I am happy you enjoyed the wine. You can have all you can afford.

No I suppose I “are don’t know from climate science,” and I won’t question your credentials, but the nifty little Koppen maps on wikipedia show VA and much of Italy as being the same lovely shade of pistachio.

As for the adjectives like “mediocre” and “great,” again, I won’t quibble with your word choice or your tastes except to repeat that you seem to be mostly alone. All those non-climatologist-wine-writers seem to think better of the product than you.

Finally, we agree (as I thought I made clear) that the value proposition in VA wine is not attractive, and that is why I think I have one bottle in my cellar, and it was a gift.

A typo on the internet!! NOOOOoooooo!!! You got me! Right in the heart!

Also, note that the rest of my post distinguishes the humid subtropical climate of Piedmont from that of Virginia, isolating the key differences (namely, higher temps and more late-growing-season rain in VA).

Welcome to WB, Joe! I hope you enjoy this place.

I assume RDV is Rutger de Vink, the winery that Jancis R. likes. Haven’t had that myself, but it sounds very interesting.

Re climate and potential, clearly some at least good, and probably better, wines are being made in VA. So the question is how good they can get. IMO the “science” of winemaking depends a lot on experience with a particular site, something that is being developed there–which grapes do best, how to treat them, etc. So who knows how good they can get? After all, it Burgs and Bdx took centuries to reach the heights they are capable of.

Joe - great post! I have to admit that I did wonder if you were coming in as someone in the biz, but I am glad to hear that you are just that passionate about VA wine. I agree with most of the posters here that VA does make “good” wine. Sometimes it’s really good, but for every one of those, there are a bunch of not-so-good ones. The consistency simpy isnt there…yet. Therefore, I also agree that the pricing can be out of line with the quality, comparitivly speaking. I personally think the VA wine tourism industry is great - it introduces many new people to the romance of wine, and it’s just fun.

BTW - blind tastings of VA vs WA/CA/FR can be fun, if not humbling. Check out the thread regarding Domaine DC if any of you want to make this happen one Sat afternoon.

I lived in Virginia for 8 years, including in Charlottesville for 3. I now live in the SF Bay Area. Based on my anecdotal experience, Virginia is much hotter in the summer, particularly at night. But don’t take my word for it. According to Wikipedia, the average highs and lows in Napa are:
Highs Lows
May: 76.2 49.6
June: 81.2 53.4
July: 82.9 55.1
August: 83.0 55.0
September: 82.9 53.2

The average highs and lows in Charlottesville are:
Highs Lows
May: 75.7 54.4
June: 84.0 63.2
July: 87.5 66.9
August: 86.0 65.4
September: 79.3 58.3

The difference in the nighttime temperatures is particularly striking; Charlottesville ranges from 5 to almost 12 degrees hotter at night during the summer. Then when you take into account the rain and humidity…

I’m another person who always hoped that Virginia wines would improve to fill a niche someday among the world’s fine wines. Instead what happened is the prices went way up and quality improved marginally. I’ve tried them all; just this summer we went back to Barboursville. My wife and I were once again disappointed and would have been if the prices were half what they are charging.

I love Virginia and hope to move back someday. Virginia wine country is beautiful, and I’ve been to a lot of great weddings and similar events at several wineries, mostly in Albermarle and Orange Counties. The wine is good enough to enjoy at a wedding or similar event. But I still haven’t found any that is worth buying for personal consumption, and given the climate issues and real estate values, I doubt I ever will.