Sad news from Burgundy

Daniel Johnnes posted this on Facebook:

Everyone please join me in praying for my dear friend Patrick Bize who suffered heart attack, car accident and now coma. Not good

Prayers are with him.

I just bought some of his Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru today…

Oh gosh. Terrible.

Tragic doesn’t begin to express it.

I hope he can recover. My thoughts are with him and his family.

That’s horrible news. He was so gracious when I visited during the extremely trying 2003 harvest. I hope he can make a recovery.

big prayers tonight

That’s terrible!! Patrick is a really great guy. Very sad to hear and I will keep hoping he makes it through.

What horrible news. Prayers for him and his family.

This is beyond sad news… What a nice man who also happens to be an amazing winemaker.

The prognosis is not good. He lost a lot of blood in the crash after his heart attack and his brain was starved of oxygen. We won’t know the true extent until he comes out of the coma. Being my first patron in Burgundy, it makes me very sad indeed. Send all your best thoughts to Chisa, Hugo & Nazca.

best wishes for a full recovery.

Sorry to learn this: he’s a champion. Best wishes and thoughts to friends and family.

Absolutely horrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

I visited with Patrick less than 9 months ago and instantly fell in love with his wines. He was the gentlest and kindest producers we tasted with on our trip. The group was large and yet after tasting wine from cask, he opened a very old magnum and walked it around, sharing. The thing that set that tasting apart from others was that while everyone was professional, Patrick set the mood to feel more relaxed and social and casual of a tastings than the more typical tasting where everyone is quiet and it feels like you are in a library. There is no wrong and no right with how one should present there wines but it just sat well with me and thinking back, brings joyful memories of the day and of him. The wines were incredible and you could taste his heart and passion in each one. I am very sad to read this news and my prays go out to him and his family.

Very gloomy. I guess the heart attack caused the crash, but Burgundy seems to be a singularly inauspicious place in which to drive a motor car. Let’s hope for a miraculous recovery.

Sad to hear this. I remember visiting him in 2011 and having to wait almost 15 minutes for our appointment because he was socializing with and making a donation to some local nuns. Yes, he makes great wine but he is also a great guy. As someone else mentioned, he is very relaxed and low-key yet quite open and friendly. It was a wonderful visit with a wonderful guy and his wonderful wines. Thoughts and prayers to Patrick and his family.

Horrible but not unexpected news. He passed away. Way too young.

What terrible news! RIP, Patrick. Condolences to his family.

I will miss Patrick very much. A very funny and generous man, always quick with a joke, I am proud to have had him as my patron. I’m very sad indeed.