Village Wines in Nashville?

I did a bunch of business with them (and Hoyt) over the years. Haven’t heard from Hoyt and his ‘specials’ list in a few months. Got a call last week from someone who said there were some ‘troubles’ going on. This weekend, a friend said the store was closed and empty. Anyone know more about this?

I have heard he is gone. No one is sure where. The person answering the phone had quite a tale. Not sure how much is true, so I don’t want to repeat. He owed us some wine so it’s going to be a credit card dispute. The gist is we were among the lucky, others are in much worse shape.

complete disaster.

Peter-if you haven’t called the store, you should. Quite a story and not a good one. I was expecting some Moreu burgs from him.

-paul

Is this a Carolina Wine Co. redux?

I heard a story from the guy who called me, looking for another claimant. Seems amazing, and seems like bad things have been going on for quite a while. Not sure if this is a ‘Carolina Wine’ equivalent, or just like Silver Spirit out in St. James NY.

For me, I got lucky (for once). I’m owed neither wine nor money. Starting over a year ago, I refused to buy anything that wasn’t available for immediate delivery.

Really sucks. A great store and a great guy while things were going on, great Burgs, etc. Just awful to see this bad ending (if the story I heard is true).

JJ it is very bad. Glad it wasn’t too bad for you guys. I was told to the tune of 2 million.I hope not. I also heard he is not in Nashville. Don’t know for sure but he’s house has been for sell for 6-8 months.

$2 million???

last I heard it was over $2.2 million. Who knows what is really going on, but even in the most charitable view, it is bad.

G

Wow. Got no words for that. $2.2mm gone? And Hoyt gone?

not gone. Still around from what I heard. They are still trying to sort it out. numbers could go up or down from here. New owner (who figured everything out) is going to send a mass email soon…

Geez that’s just unbelievable. Did he have no records, keep no lists of the wines he owed people, etc? I know I had to constantly remind him, send him old emails that he sent me, confirming certain purchases and delivery dates.

Did a drive by. The store is EMPTY.

sounds quite a bit like Carolina Wine actually.
Thank goodness I got out of there in time

Wow. An institution in Nashville for decades, and a fantastic source for interesting Burgs for quite a while. I checked CT, so much wine in my cellar from Hoyt. Lots of Chave, Coche Dury, DRC, Dujac, Leroy, Rouget, Rousseau. Got so many vintages of each, all from this store. So terrible that it ended this way…

It is sad. Hoyt has been a friend for quite some time and this is disappointing and sad. I have two or three cases pending, but luckily did not pay up front for those. Good luck to those of you who are still owed wine/money. For out of towners, if you need any local help, drop me a PM and the Nashville crew will try and help.

I arrived in Nashville in 2003 and, for whatever reason, ended up doing my business elsewhere over the years. My condolences to any locals impacted by this.

Looks like Hoyt has a new venture. Just not in Tennessee…
Prices not very attractive, I have to say…

http://world100pointwines.com/

Wow! Those are, I think, the worst prices I have EVER seen.

Yep, horrible prices. If Hoyt is venturing into the world of on-line retailing (rather than running a store in a state that doesn’t allow out-of-state shipping), he’s gonna have to learn to use both Wine Market Journal and WSPro to think about where to set his prices…