Drinkward-Peschon fans, What is drinking well?

I’m thinking of introducing it to a friend (a newbie who is planning first trip to Napa). I only have one bottle of '05 remaining so it will need to be '06-'10 vintages.

05 is probably drinking the best and i love the wine. I think I am down to 2. Perfect timing as I had several friends over yesterday and wanted to pull DP to show them but ended up going with an 01 Heitz Trailside( very good and still young) and 06 Larkmead Salon ( terrific and in a great spot)

I’ve loved the DP 07 every time I’ve tried but it’s been awhile. I will pull an 06 this weekend and post results.

Btw, I think you can taste at Behrens but they don’t really host visits. Wish they do because they are one of my favorites.

Had the 05 last weekend and thought it was a little more fruit forward than I remembered. It was still good, but I remember it being better, more complex, with previous bottles. My wife loved it.

We have visited Robin at Behrens several times (and have sent several friends to see her).
Sometimes she has the DP available.
I really hate to open my last '05…

I have recently popped the '04, 07, 09 and 10. The '07 and '09 are showing spectacular right now. '10 needs more time IMHO. I think I am in agreement with others on the thread that I would go with the '05. I personally feel like the '04 that I opened had seen better days and wish that I wouldn’t have held it so long. I imagine that the '05 is aging better, but might as well crack it.

Just had the 07 and it is drinking beautifully but still has a long life.

I know you don’t have it, but the 03 I popped last weekend was flamboyant but tasty.

Recently finished my last '08 and thought it was in a great drinking window.

Interesting note on the '04. I had one earlier this summer and thought it was exceptionally good. In contrast, a recent '03 was good but had probably seen better days.

Goodness the 05 drinks so nicely.

Had the 08 today after several hours of slow ox. It was terrific. So layered and silky. My favorite behind the 07. I really love their wines and think they are a great value.

Wish I knew. The shipping cost keeps me on the outside looking in.

Scott- what did you end up opening ?

Had the 06 today after a few other wines. Needed about 2 hours in the decanter. Solid wine and in line with DP style. Great balance and Napa fruit but a bit restrained. As with most of my 06’s prefer the 05, 08 and 07 vintages but very nice.

Just opened and poured a small glass of the 2010. Will give the rest 20 hours slow ox. Will report back tomorrow.

Kyle- how was the 2010 ?

Fred, thx for the update on the 2006 – would you say it’s worth sitting on longer or better to open more in the near term?

The 2010 was fantastic. Loads of dark chocolate-covered cherries and espresso. It’s got a lot of weight, but more like a fully stuffed down pillow. The tannins are exceptionally smooth but firm. It’s going to be hard to leave the other bottles alone.

Kyle- the 2010 sounds great. Thanks for the update.

Alex- I don’t think there is any risk on letting the 06 sit longer but I’m not sure it will develop further. I think it’s just starting to hit a good drinking window thought so i don’t think there is any rush and if i had more I would give it 1-2 more years.

I opened a 2008 earlier this month and it exceeded my expectations for the vintage. Its a lovely wine thats on par with the 2005 and 2007. You really cant go wrong with any of the recent vintages, however I have been rewarded by waiting a year of two after release as these wines typically have firm structure. My friend reported that the 2009 is drinking great already

No need to wait on the 2010 to let it settle down, but also no reason to not let it sit. It will be a fun wine follow, but will not disappoint baby killers…