TN: Saxum 2010 Red Blend, "Paderewski Vineyard", Paso Robles

A fascinating wine from a fascinating vineyard. Paderewski vineyard was planted in 2004, west of Paso Robles by the Armstrong’s on the site of an legendary old vineyard planted by Ignacy Jan Paderewski. While the varieties are not interplanted, they replicated the varieties of older historic vineyards including Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Counoise, Zinfandel, Tempranillo, Marsanne, and Viognier. As translated by Justin Smith, this wine is 35% Zin, 26% Mourved, 19% Tempranillo, 11% Syrah and 9% Petite Sirah.

Exceedingly deep, dark, rich and long. Saxum has made spectacular versions of Rhone blends, this one is an excellent homage to a traditional California field blend. I like the concept and love the wine.

Sort of makes you wonder what this vineyard will be like when it is 100 years old.

Tom

I just located my bottles a few days ago. Can you comment on whether you felt short changed by drinking it so young? I am very tempted.

Jay, these Zin blends often age amazingly well. That said, the extraction/flavor concentration in this one is extreme and it is 16% alcohol. I’d say drink over the next 18 months or so, although I’d like to see Justin’s take on this.

I just located my bottles a few days ago. Can you comment on whether you felt short changed by drinking it so young? I am very tempted.[/quote]
+1
Has anyone popped one of the 09s?

+1
Has anyone popped one of the 09s?[/quote]

No, for some reason I popped a '10 before my 09s.

Just so we don’t hear screams of anguish from wounded AFWEs, these wines are all about power and concentration. They are about as subtle as the cute little birdy on the label!

The AFWE can’t complain about Saxum. It’s like buying a Hummer and complaining about gas mileage. You know what you’re getting into. Although I’m pretty intrigued to see the '11 JBV since the term graceful has been used by Justin and Galloni seemed to be feeling the same based on the Vinous report.

We opened one inaugural Paddy (was this the 09?) and thought it needed time still.

No, for some reason I popped a '10 before my 09s.

Just so we don’t hear screams of anguish from wounded AFWEs, these wines are all about power and concentration. They are about as subtle as the cute little birdy on the label![/quote]
Maybe I will force myself to take one for the team and open an 09.

Found this bottle nearly impenetrable last night with a 2-hour decant. Loaded but tightly coiled. Finish long already but wine still has a purple-ish tone and needs more time. Decant for 6 hours, slow ox a day, or revisit in 2022.

Wine may just be a 20-year wine. Large format will outlive me I’m guessing.
image.jpeg

Saxum used to make wines that were wonderful to drink young - 3 or so years old -(the 2003’s to the 2006’s). Now not so much. The turning point for me were the 2007’s. SQN, however, still makes red wines that can be enjoyed young thank goodness.

When I asked Elaine Krankel about drinking window, she said that either drink them young or give them some age,as she said they go to sleep in middle age.

7 years after vintage is middle age?

Thanks for the TN Mike.We are in the moving process and I packed a few of these away and was wondering if I should pop one . Next weekend with a good decant.

Man, I’m REALLY happy you posted this note Glenn, as I have a single bottle of this one and was debating whether or not I should pop it soon. Looks like I have my answer and this will head to the back of the line.

This is the one Saxum that failed to meet my expectations. I almost think there is TOO much going on. Your results may vary.