Parker signed wines????

Maybe the Asian market will eat this up but, cereally?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/06/new-move-for-parker--signed-wines

So much for complete independence and consumer advocacy…

Wow, that’s really over the top. So much for independence of WA.

Parker’s signature has been all over many southern Rhones for the best part of 2 decades!

Perhaps a name change to Wine Industry Advocate is in order.

Good one Jeremy! [cheers.gif]
I must admit that I agree with SOME of his recommendations there.
Please don’t ban me

The article says that Pujol “said it does not involve a commercial transaction.” Any idea what that might mean? The WA got no money for this? Why would they do it? Promotional only?

So, if these multiple wineries (industry members) paid no money to use Parker’s name and scores, why should any other industry member pay for the new industry subscription rate?

“So much for independence”

Can anyone explain to me how this move is somehow undermining The Wine Advocate’s independence?

Best,

Kenney

By offering and endorsement, they now have an interest (supposedly not financial, but at least for their reputation) of specific wines selling. This is counter to just recommending wines to consumers.

Smells like a definitional game to me. Note that a few lines later the article references that Uncle Bob loses his name rights for “commercial purposes”.

Regardless, even if it is just promotional opportunities over cash, TWA receives consideration for this deal, and thus profits from its scoring of wine. Total conflict.

Does Parker still review wine professionally?

champagne.gif [rofl.gif]

Sad.

Sad indeed. Power corrupts. Even if he doesn’t get any money for it, he is allowing that appearance. Not much left of the consumer advocate, is there?

This is the only time in three years I regret not being able to post over there. Of course what I have to say would be removed immediately as “nonsense without substance.”

Alex R.

« J’ai traité avec les nouveaux propriétaires du “Wine Advocate”, à Singapour, et en direct avec Robert Parker », précise Bernard Pujol. « Je n’ai signé aucun chèque, il n’y a eu aucune transaction commerciale, mais j’ai un deal avec eux », complète le négociant, souhaitant rester discret sur ce dernier point.

“I dealt with the new owners of WA in Singapore, and directly with RP”, explained Bernard Pujol. “I did not write a check, there was no commercial transaction, but I have a deal with them,” he said, remaining discrete about the last point.

OK guys, have at it! [cheers.gif] [snort.gif]

Wouldn’t that last bit be “wishing to remain discrete…”?

:wink:

Another nail in the coffin of what used to be an honorable, tradition based art- fine wine .

Appropriate that this guy’s name is Pujol. Another Pujol was the world’s greatest farter. he could blow out candles at 10 feet. He peformed at the Moulin Rouge, outgrossing Sarah Bernhardt.

Does he have no shame? Doesn’t he feel at all sheepish about autographing something he did nothing to create?