First-time visit to Bern's - recommendations?

About a month ago I was happy to learn that I need to go to Orlando for work in late July. I’ve been wanting to visit Bern’s Steakhouse for years now, and it’s just a few hours away from Orlando. I’m arriving a day early, renting a car, and making the pilgrimage to Tampa.

I was wondering whether anyone has recommendations about which regions / parts of the list are especially good at Bern’s.

I’m looking for wines that are in their prime drinking window and have 20+ years of age - wines that I would not be able to come across at your typical restaurant/retailer. My favorite wine regions are the Loire, Burgundy, Beaujolais, and Austria, but I’m willing to explore anything that’s not too new world.

I’ve heard that Bern’s is especially good for older CA Cabs. I don’t have a lot of experience in this category. I have a few CA Cabs I’ve enjoyed in the past (Mayacamas, Corison, Ridge Monte Bello), but I wouldn’t know what to look for in a larger list. Any producer / vintage recommendations in this category?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Bern’s Advice Needed: Bern's Advice Needed - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

The sommeliers are your friends. Email ahead (the addresses are on the website), tell them what kinds of wine you like (or that you would like to be surprised), give them a budget, et voilà! I like to deal with Eric, others prefer Brad or Michael; it probably doesn’t matter.

Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you not try to digest the list and order on your own. Not only is it overwhelming, but you have no way of knowing which wines are showing best right now. The sommeliers know. Plus, some of the best wines (and bargains) are not on the list.\

Enjoy!

P.S. I think Champagne is the only real weakness on the list.

What Bob said.
Best, Jim

+1

I have had great experience with Eric. You can email the Berns Sommelier from their website and let them know when you are coming, how many in the party, what your wine budget is approximately and how old you wish to go. Let the sommelier decide for you, you are likelty to be very happy. The old bdx are the deepest part of the cellar but there lots of others to choose from.

Don’t post about your experience please!
thnx Brodie