Drop the Puck! Mike Smith joins with Jimmy Fox to make a Pinot

Jimmy Fox, former NHLer and Los Angeles Kings player and currently the color commentator for Kings hockey, is now releasing his 2011 vintage of a new wine called patiné.

avoir patiné in French means to have skated, very appropriate.

Mike Smith( Myriad, Carter, 12C etc) is making this wine-a Pinot sourced from Gap’s Crown vineyard.

Gap’s Crown Vineyard is situated directly east of and overlooks the Sangiacomo Vineyard on Roberts Road near Cotati at an elevation of 300-800 feet above sea level. This is an extremely rocky site and a group of LA area winos joined Jim and his wife Susie at their house for a tasting last night.

The wine is very good, full bodied and lush, sure to improve with age.

Looks like they are off to a great start. I have had Sojourn Pinot from Gap’s Crown as well but not sure who else is making Pinot from this vineyard.

Cool label as well- resembles a hockey puck.

Photos here

https://plus.google.com/photos/111654597322225465100/albums/5863868512156192737?banner=pwa&authkey=CMKU3vvno-nQcQ

I’m a big Kings fan and hope his venture is successful

Would love to have a taste of this pinot…

Very cool. Thanks Ki!

Jason

Ha! Good stuff… will definitely try it. GKG!

no kidding-GKG!

Ki, thanks for the report as well as the shots(photo, not slap) [basic-smile.gif]

Best,

Kenney

Kosta Brown makes a Gaps Crown

Huge Ducks fan and still wish him well! LGD!!!
Btw… Its because of hockey that I have a wine biz…

Mike is my favorite.If he makes it… I will come!!!

Ki, you would be the G if you got foxie to put up a post here. Wine aside, he shaved his head and I am mourning. That hair was legendary, man. Love the photos of you and Marshall. When you can blend puck, Foxie and pinot…hum ruhnnn! Thank you.

Agree! And on another note, the Kings outplayed the quacks most of the night but the quacks managed to steal a point in the travesty known as a shootout.
If it wasn’t for these “extra” points, the Kings would have a better record (21 ROWs vs. 20) [scratch.gif]

Another 3 point game, D. Crazy schedule, crazy year and let’s just get to the playoffs and forget this 48 game thing…and I still want to see Jim Fox post here.

Ki, get 'er done.

Don’t think Foxy is on any boards but his partner Dean may be able to Chime in FMIII! Great game last night…Ducks are for real. I still think there is an east coast bias to how many good teams there are out west. Kings played well, just came up short in the shootout. Love the intensity of the hockey now that we are down to 9 games left.

It’s the officials fault. Fox bitched about the tying goal (Kings 2 men down) in Minnesota for a week. He conveniently overlooks the lack of success in shootouts. When you work with Bob Miller, it rubs off on you.

Ki… totally agree with you. Stanley Cup champs will come from the Western Conference. Get any east coast team, that mind you, have not had much in the way of cross-country trips this year, to make 3 roundtrips to the west coast in a span of a week or so and we’ll see how refreshed they will be. I guess the exception will be if Chicago is in the cup final… and let’s hope that doesn’t happen :wink:
-Dave

I have never had a Mike Smith wine I didnt like. He makes great wines and it is hard not to buy as he and Leah are class folks…