Michel Rolland to consult Figeac

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Panos Kakaviatos

Post #1  Postby Panos Kakaviatos » March 29th 2013, 9:35am

Just spoke to Michel Rolland: he has signed on to be consultant with Château Figeac with the mission to make it a premier grand cru classé A in Saint Emilion's classification which is revisited every 10 years... Does it need to be said that the two estates promoted last year to that coveted status (Angélus and Pavie) both benefit from his consulting? Details coming later.

Advertisement

Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #2  Postby Todd F r e n c h » March 29th 2013, 9:42am

Panos Kakaviatos wrote:Just spoke to Michel Rolland: he has signed on to be consultant with Château Figeac with the mission to make it a premier grand cru classé A in Saint Emilion's classification which is revisited every 10 years... Does it need to be said that the two estates promoted last year to that coveted status (Angélus and Pavie) both benefit from his consulting? Details coming later.

Well, the style of the wine will certainly change, and while the latter two are not my preferred style, Figeac as it is now is quite enjoyable, so that's unfortunate.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Panos Kakaviatos

Post #3  Postby Panos Kakaviatos » March 29th 2013, 10:03am

It be interesting to see how the wine will evolve, having so much Cabernet, it is not a typical Saint Emilion... Certainly Parker numbers are expected to rise.
M. Dildine
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby M. Dildine » March 29th 2013, 10:15am

I've always liked Figeac, it's one of the few Bords I still hold.

The move doesn't please me, but I'm not buying Bordeaux anymore, so my vote is irrelevant.
Cheers,

Mike
Keith Levenberg

Post #5  Postby Keith Levenberg » March 29th 2013, 10:29am

Yitgadel v'yitkaddash...
D. Zylberberg

Post #6  Postby D. Zylberberg » March 29th 2013, 10:38am

Cute joke, but April fools is next week.
--David Z.ylberberg
David M. Bueker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #7  Postby David M. Bueker » March 29th 2013, 11:07am

This is a disaster for all fans of Figeac.
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013
Art Rose

Post #8  Postby Art Rose » March 29th 2013, 11:33am

agreed, most unfortunate.
Panos Kakaviatos

Post #9  Postby Panos Kakaviatos » March 29th 2013, 11:34am

No joke... I rather like Figeac the way it is now. Here a video from the not so distant past, from a vertical dinner in January 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z7bTALo3ms
ehrlichdy

Post #10  Postby ehrlichdy » March 29th 2013, 11:36am

Keith Levenberg wrote:Yitgadel v'yitkaddash...

On the bright side, I wouldn't be buying any new releases anyhow so it's already dead to me. It really only makes sense to back fill Bordeaux this point.
David Ehrlich
Jeff Leve

Post #11  Postby Jeff Leve » March 29th 2013, 11:56am

This is sort of old news. It was announced a while ago. But regardless, at least to me, today, and probably dating all the way back to 1982, or earlier, Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion. This can only be good news for the estate. FWIW, Figeac is also now receiving advice from the team that produces La Conseillante.

I'm curious... Of all the people in this thread extolling the virtues of Figeac and excoriating Michel Rolland, how many of you actively purchase Figeac?
loren.grossman

Post #12  Postby loren.grossman » March 29th 2013, 12:05pm

Too funny.
"what's missing in many peo
ehrlichdy

Post #13  Postby ehrlichdy » March 29th 2013, 12:08pm

Jeff Leve wrote:This is sort of old news. It was announced a while ago. But regardless, at least to me, today, and probably dating all the way back to 1982, or earlier, Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion. This can only be good news for the estate. FWIW, Figeac is also now receiving advice from the team that produces La Conseillante.

I'm curious... Of all the people in this thread extolling the virtues of Figeac and excoriating Michel Rolland, how many of you actively purchase Figeac?

I buy older vintages at reasonable prices when I can find them.
David Ehrlich
salilb

Post #14  Postby salilb » March 29th 2013, 12:10pm

*raises hand*

I'll be a little less cavalier opening them now, seeing as I fear the Pape Clement route for them (another estate whose wines I love - from a certain era - and find undrinkable today.)
Maybe I should put that '95 back in storage.

Jeff Leve wrote:This is sort of old news. It was announced a while ago. But regardless, at least to me, today, and probably dating all the way back to 1982, or earlier, Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion.

If you by any chance have some of those boring wines in your cellar that you're not interested in drinking, whether a '98, '95, '90, '86, hell, pretty much any vintage, I'll be happy to take if off your hands so that you don't need to drink those bores, and can focus your energy on more exciting wines.
B℮n℮gaɭ
Panos Kakaviatos

Post #15  Postby Panos Kakaviatos » March 29th 2013, 12:11pm

Jeff, it happened last week; not so old I would say. And I certainly would not call Figeac boring. In any case I respect the work of Rolland without loving everything he does. And I have bought Figeac, including bottles from the excellent 2001, 2004 and 2005 vintages. I would be interested in seeing how Rolland will advise the estate because of its high Cabernet Sauvignon content. In any case I am hardly alone in appreciating the freshness coming from Figeac wines. Not to say there have not been missteps. I wonder about the 2000 vintage, which I also purchased. But there is no question that Figeac can be very exciting and certainly unique.
Last edited by Panos Kakaviatos on March 30th 2013, 4:41am, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby Nick Ryan » March 29th 2013, 12:12pm

Every time I try Figeac I wonder why they're bottling and labeling a $20 Loire Cab Franc as a $200+ Bordeaux.
Jeff Leve

Post #17  Postby Jeff Leve » March 29th 2013, 12:18pm

salilb wrote:

*raises hand*

I'll be a little less cavalier opening them now, seeing as I fear the Pape Clement route for them (another estate whose wines I love - from a certain era - and find undrinkable today.)
Maybe I should put that '95 back in storage.

Jeff Leve wrote:This is sort of old news. It was announced a while ago. But regardless, at least to me, today, and probably dating all the way back to 1982, or earlier, Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion.

If you by any chance have some of those boring wines in your cellar that you're not interested in drinking, whether a '98, '95, '90, '86, hell, pretty much any vintage, I'll be happy to take if off your hands so that you don't need to drink those bores, and can focus your energy on more exciting wines.

Sal, I exchanged them already with a friend that loves their style of wine. Else I would gladly have worked something out with you. The key to a good cellar, is having it filled with wines you like.
Eric LeVine
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #18  Postby Eric LeVine » March 29th 2013, 12:19pm

Snicker...
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Panos Kakaviatos

Post #19  Postby Panos Kakaviatos » March 29th 2013, 12:28pm

Oh come on. The wine hardly tastes like $20 Cab Franc from the Loire (although I agree that pricing since 2009 is nutty, but Figeac is hardly the only "culprit" here). The aforementioned 1986 is great, as has been the 1982. And recent vintages like 2009 and 2010 are excellent. But the pricing that the estate introduced with the 2009 vintage, without the support of high Parker numbers, seemed ill advised. It certainly did not lead to a promotion in 2012. Rolland said that his specific goal is to achieve Premier A status for the château. It is no mystery that Parker likes Rolland's winemaking, which will no doubt lead to more points ... with the hope for greater sales and the coveted A status next time around. So there you have it, the reasoning sans doute behind the decision to have Mr. Rolland as consultant.
Last edited by Panos Kakaviatos on March 30th 2013, 4:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Latuchie
SubscriberSubscriber
Tooch

Post #20  Postby Matt Latuchie » March 29th 2013, 12:36pm

sad news.
Alan Strauss

Post #21  Postby Alan Strauss » March 29th 2013, 1:01pm

Eric LeVine wrote:

Snicker...[/quote

יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁא.

funny yes...but I'm not so sure its true..
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #22  Postby Howard Cooper » March 29th 2013, 1:03pm

I agree.
Howard
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby Howard Cooper » March 29th 2013, 1:05pm

Jeff Leve wrote: Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion.

Jeff,

It is incredible how predictable you are.

But please explain this. Why do you seem so much more reasonable and rational in person?
Last edited by Howard Cooper on March 29th 2013, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Howard Cooper » March 29th 2013, 1:06pm

salilb wrote:[seeing as I fear the Pape Clement route for them (another estate whose wines I love - from a certain era - and find undrinkable today.)

86 Pape Clement is quite good; the 2001, not so much. I think my tasting note included the word abomination.
Howard
salilb

Post #25  Postby salilb » March 29th 2013, 1:08pm

I could not drink the 2001 Pape Clement. It is an atrocious wine. Abomination is a pretty apt descriptor too.

I'm glad you say that about the '86, I have a bottle standing up in my cellar. (Though my '88 and '90 are both buried offsite.)
B℮n℮gaɭ
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #26  Postby Howard Cooper » March 29th 2013, 1:11pm

salilb wrote:I could not drink the 2001 Pape Clement. It is an atrocious wine. Abomination is a pretty apt descriptor too.

I'm glad you say that about the '86, I have a bottle standing up in my cellar. (Though my '88 and '90 are both buried offsite.)

My thoughts on the 2001. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25920&p=342486&hilit=pape+clement+latour+montrose#p342486
Howard
Charlie Carnes
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #27  Postby Charlie Carnes » March 29th 2013, 1:22pm

I guess they have gone from boring to completely the same as about fifty other wines around the world. The good news if you can't afford Figeac you can buy a bottle of Long Shadows Pedastal and get the exact same flavor.
I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it." I don't know what kind of soldier I'm gonna make, but I want you guys to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat... I'll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way.
DaveP
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #28  Postby DaveP » March 29th 2013, 1:30pm

Alan Strauss wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:

Snicker...[/quote

יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁא.

funny yes...but I'm not so sure its true..

Have we achieved a minyan yet?
Save a leg... save a life!
-Dave Pougatsch
Christian G.E. Schiller

Post #29  Postby Christian G.E. Schiller » March 29th 2013, 1:46pm

With the change in the management team a few weeks ago, it was clear that something like that would happen. I was at Figeac the day the new St. Emilion classification was announced last year. They were very depressed about not being promoted.
Paul Jaouen
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #30  Postby Paul Jaouen » March 29th 2013, 2:20pm

Figeac IMO has been underperforming for years but I doubt this is the right answer.
Best,
Paul Jaouen
Alan Rath
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby Alan Rath » March 29th 2013, 2:23pm

M. Dildine wrote:I've always liked Figeac, it's one of the few Bords I still hold.

The move doesn't please me, but I'm not buying Bordeaux anymore, so my vote is irrelevant.

+1

Recently tasted 2009 Angelus. Not impressive at all.
Jeff Leve

Post #32  Postby Jeff Leve » March 29th 2013, 4:16pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote: Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion.

Jeff,

It is incredible how predictable you are.

But please explain this. Why do you seem so much more reasonable and rational in person?

Howard, I would make the exact same observation in person. No doubt, Figeac has its fans. I would think you would enjoy the wine, a lot more than I would. Does everyone need to like the same wines?
M. Meer

Post #33  Postby M. Meer » March 29th 2013, 4:40pm

Jeff Leve wrote: Does everyone need to like the same wines?

No, which is why we like Figeac the way it was [snort.gif]
Mar.kus
Jay Miller
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #34  Postby Jay Miller » March 29th 2013, 4:47pm

Darn Sephardim, mispronouncing everything...

Howard Cooper wrote:86 Pape Clement is quite good; the 2001, not so much. I think my tasting note included the word abomination.

1998 was, IMO the turning point vintage and the last one (though already moving towards an undeniably modern style) that I enjoyed.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
Brad England
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #35  Postby Brad England » March 29th 2013, 7:15pm

Jeff Leve wrote:This is sort of old news. It was announced a while ago. But regardless, at least to me, today, and probably dating all the way back to 1982, or earlier, Figeac is has been producing one of the most boring wines in St. Emilion. This can only be good news for the estate. FWIW, Figeac is also now receiving advice from the team that produces La Conseillante.

Message retracted. My mistake and apologies.
Last edited by Brad England on March 30th 2013, 6:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Secretary of Defense

Return to Wine Talk