Which vineyards do you like so much that you will buy irrespective of producer?

Original thread question: “vineyard or producer? Which is more important?”
Feel free to break-down your answer by region, variety, or however you feel is necessary to give the best answer. [cheers.gif]

EDIT: after some thought and consideration, I’ve decided the more interesting question is “Which vineyards do you like so much that you will buy irrespective of producer?”

Knee jerk reaction - producer. In almost all cases I can think of.

The good ones tend to work together.

That’s like asking what’s more important - profitability or market share… There’s great cases for both, but the best case is when they work together.

One can make bad wine from good grapes but can’t make great wine from bad grapes. So if talking about those special wines than I would vote vineyard.

this
vineyard

Producer no question. I buy Meo Bourgogne rouge by the case every year cuz it’s delicious.

PRODUCER!!! [winner.gif] [bow.gif]

Jason

That’s a fair point. After thinking about this a bit further, I think the combination of vineyard / geography and producer are important. One without the other won’t guarantee a good result.

Though…if I had to choose, I’d still go with producer. I’d rather take a risk on a bottle from a favorite producer and unknown geography (putting myself at the mercy of a producer’s judgement, trusting that they will produce something that is in stylistic harmony with the rest of their portfolio) than I would go experimenting with an unknown producer from a familiar geography.

I generally feel the same, but two examples immediately leap to my mind where the vineyard is of much more importance to me than the producer (i.e.: I’m willing to buy on the strength of the vineyard, even if I’ve never heard of the producer):
White Hawk vineyard in CA for Syrah
Wehlener Sonnenuhr in the Mosel for Riesling

Maybe that would have been the more interesting Thread topic: Which vineyards do you like so much that you will buy irrespective of producer?

Because I can, I’d like to drift this thread in that direction, and will change the title to reflect said drifting.

Good Producer + great vineyard = great wine.

Good Producer + mediocre vineyard = decent wine.

Bad Producer + great vineyard = bad wine

Responding to the revised question - none, though White Hawk…that’s a very interesting point!

None (answering the revised question).

If you reduce it to absolutes then the real comparison would be
Good Producer + Bad Vineyard
Bad Producer + Good Vineyard

I agree with Brian. You must have top fruit to have the truly special wines.
(in the hands of a special producer of course [snort.gif] )
Obviously both are inportant.

Well and succinctly put [cheers.gif]

two of the White Hawk Syrahs I’ve had have come from producers I’ve never heard of:
Parkmon
Cordon

both were excellent wines.

La Tache [snort.gif]

RC…

Damnit Poppy, you beat me to it.

[welldone.gif]

Not always

Even a blind pig finds an acorn from time to time

Weak producer = big year to year quality swings

Strong producer = good year after year