2005 Vintage Assessment and Premox Check Dinner No. 1-Feb 5, 2013 at Spago Beverly Hills

Part I – February 5, 2013 at Spago Restaurant, Beverly Hills CA
26 top-rated Chablis, Meursault and Corton Charlemagne from the 2005 vintage

As most of you already know, each year I host a series of Vintage Assessment and “Premox” Check Dinners in Los Angeles at which we comprehensively taste a single vintage of white burgundies at 7.5 years of age over three nights. We usually taste 60 to 65 of the very top wines of the vintage from the Chablis and the Cote de Beaune. This year, the eighth consecutive year for these dinners, we’re tasting the 2005 vintage whites.

The first installment of our 2005 Vintage Assessment dinners was held at Spago Restaurant in Beverly Hills on Tuesday February 5, 2013. This was our first return to Spago since our February 2011 retrospective 1990-2000 Chablis dinner. Once again we were dazzled by the food and artistry of Chef-Owner Wolfgang Puck, Executive Chef, Lee Hefter, Chef de Cuisine Tetsu Yahagi, Pastry Chef Sherry Yard and sommelier Chris Miller. Trust me when I say that the food tasted every bit as good as the photos below make it appear. The appetizers here are always fun. Each course was fabulous and, with a minor quibble here and there, matched very well with the wines in each flight. Wolfgang stopped in himself to say hi to everyone and make sure we were enjoying the food.

On night two, which will be held at Valentino Restaurant in Santa Monica on February 20, 2013, we will taste 26 or more grand crus from the hyphenated Montrachet vineyards. On our final night, February 27, 2013, we will hold the annual “Mostly Montrachet” dinner at Melisse Restaurant.

These dinners are always huge undertakings, both in the organization and the execution of the event. For example, here’s Spago’s Sommelier Chris Miller preparing all of the glasses and the wines for the dinner:

This photo and the ones below were taken by Andrew Gavin, one of the attendees. Andy has several more photographs of the event on his own blog site, All Things Andy Gavin: Spago – 2005 White Burg part 1! :: All Things Andy Gavin)

Appetizer Course
Hors D’oeuvres-Steak Tartar, Spago falafel with creme fraiche, Puff pastry with bacon, Spago Salmon Pizza

The Steak Tartare appetizer

1996 Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru Vieilles Vignes Champagne (2 x 750ml)
Medium gold color; a slightly nutty and citrus, slightly oxidized style very much like Krug; this was a really nice champagne with a mix of green apple, citrus, toasty/nutty elements, nice balancing acidity and a really long somewhat minerally finish. A very, very nice Champagne to start us off. 95

Spago’s famous “Salmon Pizza” as an appetizer

1996 Pol Roger Gran Année Champagne
This was intended solely as a backup bottle but we ran out of champagne due to staggered arrivals and so we tried this with the appetizers. Very youthful light yellow-green color; light clean citrus and leechee fruit aromas; very youthful, light green apple/citrus flavors, seems thin and angular compared to the Egly-Ouriet. 91

Flight One - - Chablis

Chirasi Sushi: Blue Fin Tuna, Hamachi, Salmon Pearls, Sea Urchin

#1 2005 Raveneau Chablis Montee de Tonnerre
The initial bottle opened was badly corked. We had planned on not serving it, but Ron Greene had brought a backup bottle, so we used that one. Thus, this was the only wine which wasn’t served single blind. Bright yellow color; light gooseberry and lime aromas; light buttery texture-quite surprising for Chablis; some lemon-lime fruit and a lot of elegance; an unusual mix for a 7.5 year old Raveneau wine. Group Rank: Tied for 9th, 7 pts (0/0/0/3/1) 92

#2 [2005 Fevre Chablis Preuses]
Very light yellow color; light floral and citrus aromas; on the palate, this was fairly light, borderline dilute with green apple flavors with some glycerin background and a very modest stony element but not really much minerality. Pretty disappointing for grand cru Chablis from a major producer. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 90

#3 [2005 Raveneau Chablis Valmur]
Another wine with a very light yellow color; gooseberry and pear aromas; a slightly fruity (green apple/pear) mid-palate and very modest minerality on the finish with good acidity and a sense this could improve slightly. But this is clearly not classically-styled Chablis. Group Rank: Tied for 14th, 4 pts (0/1/0/0/0) 92+

#4 [2005 Fevre Chablis Clos]
Very light yellow color; aromas of white nectarine and gooseberry; on the palate this had the same white nectarine fruit and at least some modest minerality. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 92

#5 [2005 Dauvissat Chablis Clos]
Light gold color; pear and white flowers with a whiff of pineapple; on the aromas and the palate this was distinctly closer to Puligny than Chablis – pear fruit, with a much richer texture and more depth than the first four wines; no minerality at all here. Nice wine, but I’d never identify this as Chablis. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 93

#6 [2005 Raveneau Chablis Clos]
Medium yellow color, almost gold; some slightly toasty, smoky, and odd elements in the aromas I can’t quite place – a couple of tasters suggested it was reduction, but I don’t think so because there’s no sulfur apparent; this aroma dissipated somewhat with time but it was never quite right; but on the palate, this was a very charming wine – fat, forward, green apple fruit with surprisingly good acidity despite a glyceric texture and some minor minerality in the finish. If the aromas here are atypical, this bottle could actually improve with additional age. Group Rank: Tied for 12th, 5 pts (0/0/1/0/2) 93+?

#7 [2005 Dauvissat Chablis Preuses]
Medium yellow color, almost gold; distinct white flowers aromas; some light green apple fruit but underlying richness, decent acidity and some real oyster shell minerality here – albeit with much more fruit than usual; this was at least recognizable as Chablis (the only wine in the flight for which this was true), but it was a richer style than usual. Group Rank: Tied for 9th, 7 pts (0/1/1/0/0) 94

[N.B. I’m a Chablis fan but I found this flight extremely disappointing. Don’t let anyone tell you there’s the slightest comparison between 2002 and 2005 Chablis.]

Flight Two – Meursault Charmes and Genevrieres

“Uova da Raviolo” with Ricotta Cream, Parmesan, Black Truffle

#8 [2005 Colin-Morey Meursault Genevrieres]
Light yellow color; aromas of white honey and white nectarine; on the palate this was somewhat tight with good acidity, white nectarine flavors and some notable minerality and spearmint in the finish; this tasted younger than most of the wines in the flight. Excellent. My number 7 wine of the night. Group Rank: 7th, 10 pts (0/2/0/1/0) 94

#9 [2005 Mikulski Meursault Genevrieres]
Between light and medium gold color; beeswax and light sherry on opening, but the sherry character just kept on expnanding and ultimately made this undrinkable; on the palate, it was quite rich, but with a sweet/sour fruit and some sherry/whisky flavors. Strong consensus that this is completely oxidized. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts [N.B. I had selected this wine based on good ratings from the critics and assurances from an MW friend in the UK that he’s never experienced an oxidized bottle of Mikulski. What’s worse, this bottle came directly from the Importer – Fine Vines in Chicago.] DQ-oxidized

#10 [2005 Henri Boillot Meursault Charmes]
Light gold color; clean green apple aromas; bright but relatively simple green apple flavors with some light minerality in the finish. Group Rank: Tied for 14th, 4 pts (0/1/0/0/0) 92

#11 [2005 Lafon Meursault Charmes]
Light gold color; green apple/pear and somewhat toasty aromas; on the palate this had some tart lemon-lime elements with some oddly advanced buttery elements mixed with minerals on the finish. Strong consensus that this wine was advanced. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 91-Advanced

#12 [2005 Roulot Meursault Charmes]
Light gold color; white flowers aromas; a richer, more concentrated Meursault with some lemon-lime flavors, some grilled nuts and lots of minerality; this was really massively concentrated wine compared to the rest of the flight; very nice long minerally finish. I’m guessing Lafon Charmes. Group Rank: 11th, 6 pts (0/0/0/2/2) 93

#13 [2005 Henri Boillot (Domaine) Meursault Genevrieres]
Light gold color; pear and citrus aromas; bright, pear and key lime with lots of minerals both on the mid-palate and the finish. Laser beam focus here. Truly outstanding wine. My number 3 wine of the night. Group Rank: 3rd, 21 pts (3/0/1/1/1) [N.B. In prior vintages this was bottled as Domaine Jean Boillot wine] 95

Flight Three – Meursault Perrieres

Black Bass with Crispy Scale, Littleneck Clams, Herb Coulis, Garlic Purée

#14 [2005 Matrot Meursault Perrieres]
Light gold color; very little detectable aroma – after considerable swirling some light pear hints; bright lemon custard fruit with modest minerals but a very odd, slightly hot alcoholic finish with some distinct bitterness; very strange for MP and obviously made from overripe grapes. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 88?

#15 [2005 Colin-Morey Meursault Perrieres]
Very light yellow color with hints of green; exotic aromas of lime citrus and a hard to place fruit ester; a very clean palate impression with lemon-lime fruit and a slight swell in breadth in the mid-palate and nice clean lemon custard and minerals finish. Very nice. My number 6 wine of the night. Group Rank: 2nd, 27 pts (1/4/2/0/0) 94

#16 [2005 Le Moine Meursault Perrieres]
Medium gold color; an odd brown spice aroma – almost cinnamon, like spice cake, and a peppery element; on the palate this had some citrus elements, buttery texture, good acidity and some modest minerals in the finish. There was essentially universal agreement that this wine was advanced. Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 91?-Advanced

#17 [2005 Roulot Meursault Perrieres]
Very light gold color; brilliant pear and citrus aromas that burst out of the glass; tight lemon-lime fruit with intense, dominant minerality on both the mid-palate and the finish; the lemon-lime and minerals finish seemed to go on endlessly. A true WOW wine. My clearly favorite wine of the night. Roulot? Group Rank: 1st, 44 pts (5/3/1/2/0) 96

#18 [2005 Lafon Meursault Perrieres]
Between light and medium gold; oddly subdued aromas; on the palate this had some slightly tropical pineapple and buttery flavors in a rich style but with good acidity; a long slightly sweet citrus/pineapple finish; a very oddly styled wine for an MP [and a huge disappointment once this was revealed.] Group Rank: Tied for 19th, 0 pts 93?

Flight Four – Corton Charlemagne

Trio of Veal–Loin, Cheek, Tongue, Oven Roasted Maitake Mushrooms, Apple-Celery-Vanilla Purée, Confit Lemon Sauce

#19 [2005 Bouchard Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; citrus and fresh coconut and hints of toasty, oxidiative elements; sweet green apple fruit with a good degree of concentration and a very long fruity finish with light minerals. There was consensus that this wine was somewhat advanced – a shame because it is a powerfully concentrated Corton. Group Rank: 16th, 3 pts (0/0/1/0/0) 93-Advanced

#20 [2005 Jadot Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; sweet white flowers and green apple aromas; very rich green apple flavors, if a bit homogenous; long sweet apple flavors on the finish Group Rank: 8th, 9 pts (0/0/3/0/0) [NB This wine somehow avoided the usual oxidation problems that the post-1999 Jadots seem to suffer from] 93

#21 [2005 Girardin Corton Charlemagne Quintessence]
Light gold color; perfumed aromas of apple blossoms and midori liquer; immensely concentrated sweet green apple flavors but not so sweet as to be cloying; very long sweet fruit and minerals finish. The concentration here clearly exceeds everything else in the flight – reminiscent of Coche-Dury Corton, so I’m guessing that this is the Girardin Quintessence. My number five wine of the night. Group Rank: 6th, 12 pts (0/0/2/1/4). 94

#22 [2005 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; aromas of pear and green apple; the first impression is acidity and then some light green apple, but there doesn’t seem to be much depth here; simple green apple finish. Group Rank: 18th, 1 pt (0/0/0/0/1) 92

#23 [2005 Le Moine Corton Charlemagne]
Between light and medium gold color color; pear and green apple aromas and some more developed pastry elements; decent acidity; some rich apple pie flavors but the finish shows some definite alcohol. Despite the decent acidity, this seems fully mature and should be drunk up now before the alcoholic finish begins to dominate. Group Rank: Tied for 12th, 5 pts (1/0/0/0/0) 93

#24 [2005 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; minerally, lemon zest and green apple aromas; medium weight pear and green apple flavors with fabulous acidity and minerality; extremely long minerally finish. Impressive. My number 2 wine of the night. Group Rank Tied for 4th, 14 pts, (1/1/1/0/2) 95

#25 [2005 Montille Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; aromas of white honey and pear; definitely the lightest concentration in this flight with modest green apple/pear fruit and good acidity; nicely made, but to me this wine lacked the necessary weight/concentration to be a grand cru Corton and I’m pretty open to stylistic differences in Corton. (Group Rank: 17th, 2 pts (0/0/0/1/0) 92

#26 [2005 Colin-Morey Corton Charlemagne]
Light gold color; green apple aromas; this had notably dense green apple flavors with good acidity and a subtle layering in the mid-palate and a very minerally finish. Excellent. My number 4 wine of the night. Group Rank: Tied for 4th, (2/0/0/2/0) 94

Dessert Course

Passion, Pineapple, Mango. Rum Baba Boules. Passion Fruit Frozen Kumo. Oven Roasted Pineapples.

2001 Chateau De Fargues
As usual at these dinners, I didn’t pay enough attention to the dessert wine. This one had some carmelized pineapple and blood orange, considerable density/sweetness and good acidity. It worked extremely well with the dessert. My general impression was 94-ish.

Postscript statistics and comments:
Corked - 1/27 4% (Corked bottle of 05 Raveneau MDT replaced)
Oxidation -1/26 4%
Advanced -3/26 11.5%
Oxidized or advanced - 4/26 15.4%

If you’re a classical Chablis fan, you’re NOT going to like the 2005 Chablis vintage. With due respect to Steve Tanzer and Allen Meadows when they reviewed the Chablis back in 2007, they clearly overrated the 2005 Chablis. You have to work hard to find any of the usual markers of Chablis even among the handful of very top wines of the vintage. In 20/20 hindsight, it’s a vintage which, with maybe one or two exceptions, I wish I had not purchased because I don’t care for this style of Chablis.

A couple of things seemed pretty clear to me about the Cote de Beaunes. There is a good deal of sweetness in the fruit on these wines. You might even say that’s the most notable take away from the evening. The second thing was that the 2005 vintage is probably the most forward/ready to drink of any we’ve tasted in the last eight premox series. While the wines had adequate to good levels of acidity to balance the sweetness, the fruit tastes mature (and in a few cases past its prime). There wasn’t a single bottle from Meursault or Corton Charlemagne that I thought needed more time or would improve further with more time and there were a number of wines that were at or past or their peaks most of which I know had perfect provenance. It appears that Premox levels will be just as significant for this vintage as they were for 2002.

Thusfar, 2005 also appears to be a very producer-driven vintage. The wines from Boillot, Colin-Morey and Roulot were all excellent. The wines from Lafon and LeMoine were disappointing. I’m looking forward to night two.

Thanks for this report, Don. I always look forward to your annual reviews.

Thanks Don.

Were you not able to find a bottle of '05 Coche CC prior to the tasting?

Also, glad to see your review of the '96 Egly as their have been numerous reports that the release is over the hill at this point.

Patrick

Don – What was your reaction to these figures? The premox/advanced levels don’t seem so bad:

Corked - 1/27 4% (Corked bottle of 05 Raveneau MDT replaced)
Oxidation -1/26 4%
Advanced -3/26 11.5%
Oxidized or advanced - 4/26 15.4%

I found the Egly advanced; I am not a fan of the oxidation. The ravioli and truffle dish would have been a great red Burg pairing, more so than the whites with which it competed. The Corton C flight was of uniform high quality, much more Corton Charlemagne than the Chablis was Chablis. The Chablis were not recognizable as such.

I look forward to the hyphenated Montrachets (BBM, BM, and Chevalier). As for the lack of Coche, I am sure it was a cost issue, Patrick.

alan

Are expectation levels now so poor that 30% oxidised/advanced for 7 year old wines is considered not bad? I think that’s an abominable percentage and reinforces my approach of not buying white Burgundies at all unless at deep discount (modest/early drinking wines excluded).

Phil - It’s 15.4% total as I read it – 11.5% + 4% with rounding.

Thanks Don. I always look forward to your report. An indispensable resource for burg lovers.

Great dinner, glad to be a part of it.

I wasn’t as enamored by the Roulot Perrieres as everyone else was. I just thought it was too heavily reduced on the nose and wasn’t really giving much on the palate. To me the winner of the night was Henri Boillot as all their wines showed magnificently to me. The dog of the night to me Lafon. The charmes tasted really advanced and the perrieres was an oak bomb.

But I do agree with Don in regards to the forwardness of the wines. They are very “round” and ripe. This led the Chablis not to be very “chablis” like.

Looking forward to 2007 :smiley:

Patrick:

The Coche Corton (and usually the Leroy Corton) get included in the Mostly Montrachet dinner each year. I do have a Coche Corton in hand for that dinner (and someone else is bringing the Coche MP and Genevrieres). I’m still hoping someone will offer the Leroy Corton as I don’t own one in 2005. That dinner will be held on February 27 at Melisse.

The 1996 Egry-Ouriet Vieilles Vignes came out of my cellar. Both bottles were superb. I wish I’d purchased more.

I have some 05 Lafon Meursault Goutte d’Or. The oxidation rate has driven me crazy. 15% is unacceptable rate of advanced bottles I would think.

I’ve had multiple bottles of '96 Egly (virtually all from the same source) & it’s quite variable. Some have seemed advanced & shown a fair amount of oxidation. Others have been bright & youthful. When it’s on, it’s a delightful Champagne in a bigger style. At the current tariff, the variability has made it an easy pass for me.

John:

The above numbers, if they hold through all three nights, will be the highest experienced since the 1999 and 2000 vintages. See the table below.

But I will add the caveat that over the the years I think we’ve dialed in the definitions a little better. I now ask everyone to try to distinguish between truly oxidized wines (i.e. those having the true aroma and/or flavor markers of oxidation – the traditional sherry or cheerios aromas and flavors vs. wines that are merely “advanced,” meaning that they taste obviously more mature than they should be and/or are exhibiting some hints of say toast points in the aromas.)

1996 vintage – 5/28 oxidized to some degree (18%) [tasted at 10 years of age]
1999 vintage – 10/44 oxidized to some degree (23%)
2000 vintage – 6/41 oxidized to some degree (15%)
2001 vintage – 4/43 oxidized to some degree (9%)
2002 vintage – 6/64 oxidized to some degree (9%)
2004 vintage – 8/63 advanced or oxidized (13%) and 1/63 (1.6%) permanently reductive

Don

I agree. That’s one of six bottles at only 7.5 years of age. I’m sure that if we did a similarly structred tasting of the same wines at 10 years old the premox percentages would be much higher.

Unfortunately, Lafon has a very high incidence of premox and he’s one of those producers who essentially refuses to acknowledge that he’s got a problem. I’ve already experienced one advanced and one oxidized bottle of 2008 Lafon MP and one very advanced bottle of 2007 Lafon MP – and these are from bottles that were bought on release from suppliers in Europe who got the wines direct from the domaine and then were shipped under ideal conditions door to door. Whereas many of the high premox incidence producers began using more SO2 or made other changes beginning with the 2007 vintage, Lafon’s wines seem to be getting worse rather than better. As much as I love his wines when they are correct, I’ve concluded his wines are too unreliable for me to cellar. So except for buying a bottle or two to cellar for these tastings, I’ve quit purchasing Lafon.

Goodness, what an excellent report. Beautiful food as well.
Interestingly enough, I’ve spoken with quite a few caviste here locally which have said they are starting to back away from certain domaines because of a high rate of advanced wines. Many of these domaines will do nothing about wines being presented locally being shown to have issues. I find this interesting as some propose an issue of storage while shipping to be a leading possible explanation.

So…you guys didn’t have any reds on the evening? How you guys do it, I’ll never know. :wink:

Don, as always, thank you for all the great services you do for the wine community.

Don’t read too much into those percentages Don. You don’t have enough wines tasted to come anywhere close to being able to achieve statistical significance with your percentages. Clearly, in every vintage you’ve sampled, there are a fair number of flawed wines. To say, however, that the '99 vintage was “worse” than the '02 vintage is not possible with those numbers…

Yes, I didn’t read carefully enough!

Todd

The problem is that no one’s liver could handle drinking enough bottles at one sitting to have true statistical signicance.

However, I can state with certainty that the 1999 vintage has a much higher oxidation rate than does 2002. I’ve owned 300+ bottles of both vintages, and 200+ of all of the others on the list. What the chart above shows (based on a one shot tasting at 7.5 years – except for 1996) is largely born out by my real world experience. Of the post-1994 vintages, the incidence of premox was by far the worst in 1995 (approximately half of the bottles I opened), and then 1999 was the second worst with approximately 30% to 33% of the wines opened between ages 7 and 11 being either notably advanced or oxidized. 2002 has been around 15 percent (but I owned a lot of BDM and BDM is consistently among the worst premox offenders – and shows no evidence of either winemaking changes or contrition).

2000 has the overall best track record for me – less than 10%. However, there are a few producers whose wines, even in that vintage, are consistently oxidized such as Jadot, Fontaine-Gagnard, and Colin-Deleger, and some of the usual suspects (e.g. Bonneau du Martray and Matrot) had about 20% oxidation instead of their usual much higher percentages). If I hadn’t owned any of the above-named wines, my percentages for the 2000 vintage would be shockingly low.

I have little doubt that my own experience with premox percentages from wines in my cellar will decrease after the 2004 vintage – and not just because of the increases in SO2 usage and changes in winemaking that began occurring mostly with the 2007 vintage. It’s because I’ve made a concerted effort to learn from these tastings and similar white burgundy tastings to completely avoid cellaring the historically-worst offenders (i.e. Guy Amiot, Blain-Gagnard, Bonneau du Martray, Colin-Deleger, Coutoux, Droin, Fontaine-Gagnard, Gagnard-Delegrange, Jadot [starting with 2000 vintage], Jouard, Juillot, Matrot, Montille [prior to 2005 and subsequent changes in winemaking], Tessier and Verget.) I’ve also identified the producers who have little or no oxidation (i.e., Raveneau, Coche-Dury, Roulot, Leflaive, Leroy/D’Auvenay and DRC) and where my budget will permit, I prefer to buy those producers’ wines. I’m also relatively confident that some of the historically poor premox performers who have made serious efforts to change their winemaking to avoid premox (e.g. Sauzet, Jacques Carillon, Montille, Jean-Marc Pillot, Girardin) will succeed and I’ve again been buying all of those producer’s wines.

Thanks for the thorough response Don. That makes more sense.