NYTimes: Asimov on 2010 RedBurgs

In today’s NYTimes:
Asimov:2010 RedBurgs

Asimov joins the elitists and pseudo-intellectuals as he deftly navigates the minefield of RedBurgundy. He asserts that Burgundy “has achieved a far higher level of consistency among good producers than many other vaunted regions”. Whatever.
Tom

Ha. I liked the article. Next time we get together Tom, I’m bringing Burgundy.

2010 is a great vintage in Burgundy. I realize Tom that you don’t really like Burgundy, and that is fine, but winemaking there is better than it ever has been. Right now, there are a lot of really good producers, many of whom are under the radar, and, with the last poor vintage being 2004, there are a lot of good Burgundies out there right now.

Eric has a very good palate. Nice article.

I chuckled at his line “The worldwide demand for Burgundy is going up, which means the supply can only go down.”

I know what he meant to say, but doesn’t anybody take economics in high school anymore?

Nice to see a Drouhin negoce Gevrey do well.

Marc Roy coming in 2nd is no surprise to me.
This estate is a consistent overachiever!
Too bad they don’t have access to more prestigious vineyards… [cry.gif]

TTT

Managed to wrestle the last 3 bottles of 2010 Dujac MSD from Wine House LA 2 weeks ago (lost bottles, found after 30 minutes of searching). Glad I did [cheers.gif]

Tom,
Pity, pity. You are off the invite list for the next fox hunt.

neener

Not sure where Tom stands on Burgundy as a general proposition, and the “whatever” may well apply to Asimov (I would apply that word to most of his writing) rather than to Burgundy. However, the nasty words “elitists”, “pseudo-intellectuals” and “minefields” are not Tom’s at all, but rather, those of the blue-collar, All-American, (Flannery’s 45-day-aged) meat-and-potatoes palate of the man from Monkton. Could be a bit of the old tongue-in-cheek here…

Wow Bill. Your weird obsession with Parker is really out of control. Do you have a secret crush ?

Awwwwwww…Ray…cut me some slack. I’ve had plenty of good/great RedBurgs over the yrs. But spending $40-$80 for a village Burgundy that sometimes is pretty good, sometimes pretty dull??
I’m just not too inclined to spend big $$'s kissing a lot of frogs to find that rare prince. For me…it is a minefield out there. I’ll sometimes go back to Vol.1 of my TN’s (they were long/boring even
back in the '70’s, by crackey) and look at the glowing terms I used, and then look at the prices and shake my head in bewilderment. So I pretty much gave up on RedBurg for that reason…unless it’s on
somebody else’s $. Same thing, pretty much, for Calif Cab and RedBdx.
And give that poor guy huddled there on the floor who made that good catch a glass of great RedBurg so that he, too, can become
an elitist and pseudo-intellect. And then quadruple his salary so he can afford it and doesn’t have to drink that ScreamingBeagle crap!!! :slight_smile:
Tom

Liked your first post better, Ray. But whatever.
Tom

A couple of thoughts…

First, I think it is undeniably true that Burgundy has achieved a high level of consistency, one that seemed somewhat unimaginable (at least to my narrow mind), back when I started in retail in the late 1980s. The 1960s, 1970s and even early 1980s were not all that kind to Burgundy and that led to the common perception that greatness was sometimes achieved, but inconsistency was a hallmark. That certainly isn’t the case today.

Second, was Matt Kramer just ragging on such consistency? Hmm… [stirthepothal.gif]

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Well, Bill…I was pretty sure everyone knew those were not my words and, thus, didn’t bother to put them in “”.
I just thought it was sorta amusing that Asimov used the word “minefield” and that it was no accident…that he knew where the term was coined in reference to Burgundy.
Tom

Why do u dislike Robert Parker so much; I seem to see you going out of your way to bash the guy every chance you get. I’m not saying this as a criticism, but more out of general curiosity. I have no feeling about the guy one way or another…he likes fruit forward wine is about the extent of my knowledge. Beyond that, I don’t really pay much attention to him other than to note that his ratings have a huge effect on the wine market.

Elaborate, if possible, your vitriol. Thanks.

Not to worry Adam. It could be a while before Pommards, Vosnes and Chambolles all taste the same. Consistently good is not usually a problem, unless the alcohols reach 15.2%.

RT

More an issue of English than of economics, I’m guessing. All he had to do was put the word “relative” before supply. It’s unlikely he thinks changes in demand affect changes in actual supply.

Wow Bill. Your weird obsession with Parker is really out of control. Do you have a secret crush ?

I have all sorts of responses, but I have to eat them to not risk crossing the line into politics! [cheers.gif]

As an aside, the 2010 Burgs are pretty special things. The balance is beautiful. There is plenty of fruit and the better wines are thrilling. Eric did a pretty nice job with this piece even if it doesn’t fit everyone’s palate. Alexandrine Roy is producing some stellar juice FWIW.