TN: Vieux Donjon, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2001

Drink up boyz: it’s not goin’ get any better, and may even be in declining mode. Maturing color of maroon with tawny edges, a mature nose of decaying plums, prunes, leather books. Sour plums, prunes, cherry pit, a gamy-saline finish. Delicious old-school 'neuf and at peak I’d say. A-

I’m surprised to read this. I would think this traditional producer would have made a long lived wine from this vintage. As I have several bottles, I need to pull one out.

hmmm…I’ve got almost a case so also need to try one.

I sorely doubt this wine is in any danger of going over a cliff any time soon.

1 Like

To many variable to make conclusions about one bottle. It depends on how you like them, how they were stored, how was the cork, etc. Still, it seems if you have more than 3, its probably worth drinking one. It should be very good.

I’ve recently had many bottles of this wine. About half (all from the same source, a well-known “grey marketer” FWIW) were flawed (microbial, way beyond brett) and completely undrinkable–bitter, yeasty/leesy, with chemical flavors. The other half (from a traditional US importer) are outstanding, but are definitely mature and at peak. I understand that some simply prefer their wines more “mature”, and may want additional age on these, but to me they are right now at a point where the tannin is resolved, there is still fruit, and tertiary character adds plenty of complexity, so for my taste they are “ready”, although I am sure they will be perfectly nice over the next 6-8 years as well. I personally don’t think they’ll be very nice beyond that timeframe, and plan to finish mine up by then.

While there are always exceptions (and personal taste comes into play), I personally don’t think CdP is generally ages well beyond 20 years, and I personally think the vast majority reach peak maturity about 8-9 years after the vintage…So I don’t know why anyone should be surprised that 2001 V.D. is now approaching maturity at 12 years of age.

Approaching maturity and in decline are two different things. I would not be surprised to find this wine drinking very well (indeed that’s just what I found last year). I would be surprised if it isn’t still drinking very well at age 15 to 20. Alas, I don’t have any 94 VDs, but the 94s I have from CdPs that age (and pre Cambie VD was one of these), are still drinking beautifully. And although, along with 99, 94 was a very underrated year, no one would have held it up as a long aging vintage.

I had a bottle of this tonight, from regular import channels, held since release. It’s singing perfectly. I like my CNDP on the long end of the curve though. Lovely orange / grand Marnier notes, bricking at the edges, and a glorious nose. We sent the last glass to the bartender who came over and commented on it. I don’t think they were being insincere or anything, but they seemed genuinely impressed with it. Of course 15 years of patient cellaring works well on these old school Rhones.

Had a bottle of this a couple days ago and it was singing. Just perfectly aged CDP and it could still go a few more years easy. Of course this was a perfectly stored bottle so I’m sure that helped.

1 Like

Agreed. Had it in August. Tannins resolved but fresh and fabulous.

I’m taking the over here as well for me. Having had this and the '98 recently, they make the most of runway and to David’s point is not “going over a cliff any time soon”.

That said, your palate’s are telling you its in a good place, certainly enjoy. Good wine is good wine. And Thank You for the notes.

Well lucky all of you guys. I’m glad my last bottle was gone years ago. Had a bottle of Pegau 01 this year and thought that was probably better earlier, so I guess my palate likes them on the younger side of maturity.

1 Like

Drink up boyz: it’s not goin’ get any better, and may even be in declining mode. Maturing color of maroon with tawny edges, a mature nose of decaying plums, prunes, leather books. Sour plums, prunes, cherry pit, a gamy-saline finish. Delicious old-school 'neuf and at peak I’d say. A-

Agree drink now. It was rocking two years ago.

2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/22/2018)
Stunning at this stage of the game. Nice funk, Garrique, subtle fruits and stones. Medium plus finish and good acidity. This is in a great place and should be consumed now for maximum enjoyment. (93 points)

If you have a case of this what are you waiting for? If looking to resell that is one thing but a case and you have not tried one?

Check the post dates

Just opened a bottle an hour ago for tonight’s dinner. So far it’s more about the beautiful aromatics than the palate, which is a bit of a ghost. We’ll see if it fleshes out with some air.

But oh the aroma!

I just went down and looked. I’m still sitting on 3 of these, 3 bottles of the Cuvee du Vatican Sixtine, and a half a case of Clos des Papes. It’s a birth year for one of mine, so I held a few back.

From my note from 2 months ago:

Color and clarity were like a Burgundy.
Side by side with that funk was an admirable purity of Grenache-ness. Not quite Rayas but pretty far in that direction. Tannins fully resolved.
I have a few more of these, my instinct is to not tarry in drinking them, but in reviewing my notes I’ve been saying the same thing since 2013[the year this thread was started].

1 Like

is to not tarry in drinking them,

Realized tarry means covered in tar. Learned a new word. You mean not to hurry I think.

To delay or be tardy in action