Greatest Vintage of Oregon Pinot

What do you consider to be the greatest vintage for Oregon Pinot? What wines did you find to be the best?

Once we have a few opinions, I will post mine.

Not a pro on Oregon but I find there are those vintners who lean towards Burgundy and those that lean toward New World styles. 2006 produced the most wines I liked but there was an earlier vintage that introduced me to and made me enjoy Pinot Noir, possibly 2003 or 2004. My preference is new world, fruit forward wines. It’s my impression Oregon has endured a number of poor growing seasons where I find the wines austere, but producers I’m not familiar with may be producing stellar Burgundian style wines.

Preferred
Owen Roe
Sineann
Antica Terra (newer vintages)
Penner Ash
Beaux Freres
Ribbon Ridge

I have only tasted back to 2000 and my favorite mature vintage is 2002. St. Innocent Seven Springs and Hamacher were excellent this year.

We we will see where 2005 and 2008 end up down the road.

This was discussed about a year ago Clicky – starting with Post #5.

Son bitch, you think you have a fun new post and wham, all the answers are part of another post.

I’m not an expert either, and my history doesn’t go back too far, but I’ve loved every 2002 I’ve opened. The '08’s aren’t bad either.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your mileage and mine vary and I LOVE the 2011 wines, which I know you’ll despise.

Bob,

I was quite impressed with the 2010’s when I was up there a few weeks ago. You seem to be high on the 2011’s which are largely unreleased at this point. Marcus Goodfellow and John Grochau mentioned that they thought the 2011’s might be pretty special. In your opinion, what are the reasons the 2011’s might be better than the 2010’s?

Monte

A professional critic, one I actually believe in, described 2011 using words like: “ravishing”; having the “perfume and vibrancy” that one could “only wish for most years”; and an “astonishing degree of success”. Nail-bitingly late vintage. Relatively similar weather to 2010. Low alcohol. A fair bit of disease pressure. Just another high acid, thin and weedy year…kind of like Burgundy. Most will probably dislike it.

RT

Loved '02

I think Rich pretty well nailed it, Monte. If good pinot is made on the edge, it doesn’t get any closer to the edge than 2011. Extended hang time, wonderful flavors with low sugars, excellent structure, vibrant acids . . . the vintage has it all. Unless you’re Randy, of course. [stirthepothal.gif]

I was going to suggest 1999 as one of the best vintages and then clicked to the previous thread and saw that Bob Wood had it at the top of the list. I remember liking the Ponzi Pinot from that year but don’t know that it would still be drinking well if even exisiting as a library wine.

1 Like

The one I am currently selling…

Well done! [worship.gif]

I have to say the 2011 barrel samples I had with Todd H rocked!!! Just barrel samples but wow.

I like '99, 02 and 05. For tasting in recent years, 07 has been my favorite. 08s have been too young. 09s don’t seem to suit me. Nothing like 06 but just a little much for me. Maybe with a little time I’ll say different about 09s. Haven’t had enough 2010s but I really am saving for 2011.

Jason

Seems like 09-11 should work for you. With a little time 08 as well.

Personally I would say 07-11 is a mind blowing string of really good to great vintages. And unlike California, they have differences.

Jason

I picked up 8 of those orange and white 2009 bottles on Invino. Talk about over-delivering for the price. Well done, Todd [cheers.gif]

I used to be more willing to attempt to pick a “greatest.” I find it harder and harder. '99, '02, '08 are probably the recent vintages that most would gravitate around for “greatest.” Interestingly, all later harvest years where the grapes needed a little extra time and got it. Wines of good ripeness but good natural acidity. Cellar worthy. Like that. But 2011… if I could have that kind of long, slow growing season every year I’d take it. Can’t say it wil lbe the greatest vintage at all producers, or greatest for all palates, but for me I’m more excited about it than any vintage in memory. And not because it’s the one I have for sale. [snort.gif]

I sure hope so [whistle.gif]

So where is 2012 going to fit into the mix?