TN: 2010 Huët Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

• 2010 Huët Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (7/29/2012)
    If there was ever a text book case of why white shouldn’t be served too cold, this might have been one of the better examples I have come across. While I didn’t have the actual temperature numbers, it first went into the glass causing immediate condensation, smell no much taste, so so. Gave it another 10 minutes to acclimate, and now we have a Champion Vouvray Sec in our midst. The nose was still shy, but waves of maritime sea mist and yellow plum gave a good indication as to the wines origins. A bit sweet on entry, a tad lush, but once the full force was felt on the palate, waves of dry stone and an almost powdery reside of minerals washed away any semblance of rs or fat, leaving a great wave of cut and finesse. On the long finish, the plum flavors return along with a more classic green apple notes. Still an infant, but one could sense many layers of complexity in future days. Excellent. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the great note Dale.

I know I shouldn’t drink it this young, but I keep opening bottles of this. A fantastic wine.

I had no intension of drinking this last night Todd, but At $26 a pop, and pretty easy to find in the markept place, why delay gratification? Tasty indeed.

I agree. I just bought more. Again.

Dale, did you know the 2011 Bourg is now out in retail? Anyone have any perspective on the 2011 Huets yet?

Hey Frank,

I just bought a few 2011 Le Mont Secs (from Sec Wines no less!) should have them in my paws by Tuesday, plan on cracking one next weekend, will report back for sure.

D

Frank, my recollection is that 2011 was a warmer, that’s what they told us when we were there right after harvest last year. So probably more like 09 then 10. I’ve stocked up on 10s, and will probably go light on 2011.

Mr R, thank you. If the 11s are like the 09s, then that helps my strategy.

Dale. drop us a note. As a side note. I opened a 375 of the 2010 Sec Le Mont tonight, will finish tomorrow and post a note.

I love Huet, wish I could see it in Ontario. Alan, I actually quite loved the 09 version, tasted at WineFest where it was 9th for me out of 56 wines.

“2009 Huet Clos de Bourg Sec
Freshwater stones, some hay perhaps, and back-end nocci in the schnozz. Wow. This is love-ly! Melon, peach and soooo smooth. Just keeps giving with juicy orange and sweetest grapefruit. A touch of sweet peas at the back. Multifaceted and extraordinary smoothness and harmony. One of my faves today. #9

Mike, 09 is still very nice, but if you taste side by side with 10, you’ll probably find that 10 is fresher, crisper, more vibrant, while 09 is fleshier, rounder, more lush.

I hope to have that chance, Alan----I’ve heard only good things about the 10 vintage in the Loire.

Opened one tonight with dinner. Evolving at a snail’s pace. This has changed little since my last bottle years ago. Still fantastic, pristine. Stone and citrus fruits, minerals, typical RS leaning towards the demi- side of sec, crisp acidity. Fresh, no signs of pox, nor even any normal oxidative notes. One for now, and one for the ages.

Love hearing that- thanks Warren!

Thanks for the update, Warren. I drank one of these back in May, and I preferred it at this stage over the 10 Le Mont Sec, too.

• 2010 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (5/1/2017)
    Lovely honeyed texture, terrific balance with green apple, stone and zesty mango. In fact, I would say this is drinking better now than the Le Mont 2010 that I had a few weeks back. The color and aromatic of this bottle was spot on and I suspect it will continue to age well, which I’ll do with my last bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love the waxy lanolin honeyed notes of aged Chenin Blanc; my bottle would have none of that at this point! I would have guessed a current vintage if served blind.