So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 6358
Joined: July 28th 2009, 9:21am
Location: LosAlamos, NM

So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #1  Postby TomHill » February 18th 2012, 1:23pm

Saw an interview in one of those newspaper magazines last week (Athalon Sports) that had an interview w/ Duke's Coach K. One of the questions was "What is your greatest indulgence"? He responded..."My wine collection".
So....anybody knows what Coach K likes to drink??
Tom

Advertisement

User avatar
William Segui
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: January 27th 2009, 1:36pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #2  Postby William Segui » February 18th 2012, 1:27pm

FWIW, I saw him at the Jimmy V Foundation event here in Napa last year.
ITB
User avatar
dave cuneo
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: November 7th 2010, 11:58am
Location: Wilmington, DE

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #3  Postby dave cuneo » February 18th 2012, 1:39pm

Tom,

I heard he has a Jones for Tazzalenghe, Refosco, Schiopettino, Freisa and Ruchet. [basic-smile.gif]
IMO, this is Tony Bennett at his
User avatar
Neal.Mollen
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 20241
Joined: January 30th 2009, 2:26pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #4  Postby Neal.Mollen » February 18th 2012, 1:54pm

If it is burgundy, Howard's brain will explode
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
User avatar
Roberto Rogness
 
Posts: 18966
Joined: February 10th 2009, 11:16am
Location: Santa Monica, Rio de Janeiro

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #5  Postby Roberto Rogness » February 18th 2012, 2:07pm

"I heard he has a Jones for Tazzalenghe, Refosco, Schiopettino, Freisa and Ruchet."

Yeah....but who doesn't?
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!
User avatar
Bob Wood
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th 2009, 10:30am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #6  Postby Bob Wood » February 18th 2012, 9:10pm

Seriously, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but who really gives two shits?
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983
User avatar
J. Singleton
SubscriberSubscriber
Bandz A Make Her Dance
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: January 27th 2009, 1:36pm
Location: Dallas, missing DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #7  Postby J. Singleton » February 18th 2012, 9:28pm

The real question is why isn't he a Berserker? Lord knows December to March doesn't mean much to Duke basketball. It's all about the tourney. So he should have plenty of time to complain about the Rhys price increase or whether or not his check was cashed at Marcassin. [cheers.gif]
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton
User avatar
M. Dildine
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 15680
Joined: February 8th 2009, 6:09pm
Location: Alta California

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #8  Postby M. Dildine » February 18th 2012, 9:41pm

J. Singleton wrote:The real question is why isn't he a Berserker?


Huh? We have enough problems here!
Cheers,

Mike
User avatar
J. Singleton
SubscriberSubscriber
Bandz A Make Her Dance
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: January 27th 2009, 1:36pm
Location: Dallas, missing DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #9  Postby J. Singleton » February 18th 2012, 9:46pm

M. Dildine wrote:
J. Singleton wrote:The real question is why isn't he a Berserker?


Huh? We have enough problems here!

Fiiiiine, do you want Roy Williams?
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton
User avatar
Craig G
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 8498
Joined: March 6th 2011, 11:57am
Location: Right here next to this donut

So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #10  Postby Craig G » February 18th 2012, 10:00pm

Mr. K, of course.
C. Gle@son
User avatar
C. Grimm
 
Posts: 5312
Joined: May 30th 2009, 12:49pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #11  Postby C. Grimm » February 18th 2012, 11:40pm

TomHill wrote: So....anybody knows what Coach K likes to drink??
Tom

Jeff Gordon Wines...
http://www.jeffgordonwine.com/index.cfm?method=homepage.showpage
Image
Chris
User avatar
krehberg
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: April 28th 2009, 6:16am

So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #12  Postby krehberg » February 19th 2012, 1:42am

He's not Billy Donovan so I don't care :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Κένιπ
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #13  Postby Mike Heyse » February 19th 2012, 7:21am

He collects and ages Laetner's piss. And remarkably, he doesn't dye his hair. At least according to a great book I just finished: Duke Sucks. Seriously, that's the title. And the book is simply incredible. Possibly my BOTY.

(UNC, Class of 2000)
User avatar
Jim Clary
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 304
Joined: June 5th 2009, 8:44am
Location: Scottsdale

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #14  Postby Jim Clary » February 19th 2012, 7:23am

He is a big fan of Napa cabs.
Jim Clary
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #15  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » February 19th 2012, 7:53am

J. Singleton wrote:
M. Dildine wrote:
J. Singleton wrote:The real question is why isn't he a Berserker?


Huh? We have enough problems here!

Fiiiiine, do you want Roy Williams?


He only drinks Coke...
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #16  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » February 19th 2012, 7:55am

TomHill wrote:Saw an interview in one of those newspaper magazines last week (Athalon Sports) that had an interview w/ Duke's Coach K. One of the questions was "What is your greatest indulgence"? He responded..."My wine collection".
So....anybody knows what Coach K likes to drink??
Tom


The blood of baby seals crushed to death by having Greg Paulus flop on them...
User avatar
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: May 30th 2009, 8:37am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #17  Postby Howard Cooper » February 19th 2012, 8:03am

Jim Clary wrote:He is a big fan of Napa cabs.


Figures. [snort.gif]
Howard
"That's what I do. I drink wine and I know things."
User avatar
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: May 30th 2009, 8:37am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #18  Postby Howard Cooper » February 19th 2012, 8:05am

Neal.Mollen wrote:If it is burgundy, Howard's brain will explode


I would be happy to teach Burgundy to Ratface. And politics.
Howard
"That's what I do. I drink wine and I know things."
User avatar
Roy Piper
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: January 27th 2009, 2:57pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #19  Postby Roy Piper » February 19th 2012, 11:10am

I know one Napa Cab he drinks. flirtysmile
ITB
User avatar
Chris Blum
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: October 10th 2009, 1:40pm
Location: Home of the Mayo Clinic

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #20  Postby Chris Blum » February 19th 2012, 1:31pm

Bob Wood wrote:Seriously, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but who really gives two shits?


Then why go to the trouble of commenting? Why piss in somebody's cornflakes for no other reason than to add another notch in your thread count?

I clicked, it wasn't what I thought and I clicked away. The world does not need to know what I think about every thread.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French
User avatar
Bob Wood
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th 2009, 10:30am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #21  Postby Bob Wood » February 19th 2012, 1:44pm

Chris Blum wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Seriously, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but who really gives two shits?


Then why go to the trouble of commenting? Why piss in somebody's cornflakes for no other reason than to add another notch in your thread count?

I clicked, it wasn't what I thought and I clicked away. The world does not need to know what I think about every thread.

But the world desperately needs to know what I think. newhere

Look, I don't care what Shshshshshsheffshee drinks. Neither does Howard, who hates everything DOOK and who called him Ratface. Go bust his balls for a while.
Last edited by Bob Wood on February 20th 2012, 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983
User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 14774
Joined: January 27th 2009, 7:16pm
Location: Gold Beach, OR

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #22  Postby Glenn L e v i n e » February 19th 2012, 1:51pm

I think K is a remarkable coach with an even more impressive program @ Duke. Very few celebrities I'd rather pull corks with.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA
User avatar
Bob Wood
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th 2009, 10:30am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #23  Postby Bob Wood » February 19th 2012, 1:54pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I think K is a remarkable coach with an even more impressive program @ Duke. Very few celebrities I'd rather pull corks with.

Agree 100% with all his accomplishments. I just don't care in general what celebrities drink whether it's wine or hemlock. I make an exception for you because you're so tall and I dig your Stetson. [berserker.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983
User avatar
M. Dildine
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 15680
Joined: February 8th 2009, 6:09pm
Location: Alta California

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #24  Postby M. Dildine » February 19th 2012, 2:10pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I think K is a remarkable coach with an even more impressive program @ Duke. Very few celebrities I'd rather pull corks with.


I'd rather pull a cork with Harbaugh. [wink.gif]
Cheers,

Mike
User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 14774
Joined: January 27th 2009, 7:16pm
Location: Gold Beach, OR

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #25  Postby Glenn L e v i n e » February 19th 2012, 2:48pm

He'd be fun to drink with. We could probably clear out a bar!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA
Jane Crabill
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: March 28th 2011, 12:34pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #26  Postby Jane Crabill » February 19th 2012, 2:50pm

Jim Clary has it right unless his tastes have changed--Silver Oak, Caymus Special Selection, Duckhorn and Robert Mondavi from the original winery.
I'm a Duke fan as two of my nephews are graduates (one was captain of the wrestling team) and I listed Duke as one of my choices when I took the National Merit Scholarship Exam eons ago. Got to give Duke credit for their recent comebacks against UNC and NC State!
Fayetteville, NC
Jeff Linenger
 
Posts: 35
Joined: April 27th 2010, 6:36pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #27  Postby Jeff Linenger » February 19th 2012, 9:15pm

Wasn't there a Wine Spectator article a few years back where he said that one of his favorites from his cellar was Silver Oak?
jbray23
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: September 2nd 2010, 3:56pm

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #28  Postby jbray23 » February 19th 2012, 9:49pm

M. Dildine wrote:
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I think K is a remarkable coach with an even more impressive program @ Duke. Very few celebrities I'd rather pull corks with.


I'd rather pull a cork with Harbaugh. [wink.gif]


I'd be careful with harbaugh, just don't piss him off or you would find a cork in a most uncomfortable place!
Jason, back itb
User avatar
J a y H a c k
SubscriberSubscriber
Wine Genius ;)
 
Posts: 8507
Joined: May 29th 2009, 9:59am

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #29  Postby J a y H a c k » February 20th 2012, 7:24am

As a Michigan alum, Coach K has done more to make my life miserable in the winter than Jim Tressle did to make it miserable in the Fall, but I can't seem to hate the guy. I appreciate the fact that he seems to run a relatively clean program and likes to have his players finish an education at a quality academic institution. I'm sure he's got plenty of flaws (other than me, who doesn't), but I would gladly bring a nice bottle of Cali Cab to share with him over dinner. My guess is that the conversation would not be dull and boring.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #30  Postby Mike Heyse » February 20th 2012, 7:43am

J a y H a c k wrote:As a Michigan alum, Coach K has done more to make my life miserable in the winter than Jim Tressle did to make it miserable in the Fall, but I can't seem to hate the guy. I appreciate the fact that he seems to run a relatively clean program and likes to have his players finish an education at a quality academic institution. I'm sure he's got plenty of flaws (other than me, who doesn't), but I would gladly bring a nice bottle of Cali Cab to share with him over dinner. My guess is that the conversation would not be dull and boring.


hijack.... "Relatively" is critical... Maggette should have been declared ineligible for the 1999 season after the fact, stripping DOOK of its wins and final four banner for the year. Plus Boozer's papa got a nice no show gig at Glaxo when Carlos signed on; pop's boss was a big dookie booster. Pops quit when Carlos went pro. Chris Duhon's whole family got some curious bennies, like cars and houses, when he signed on. Is every program pristine? No. Is DOOK? Absolutely not.

And they graduate about 83% of their players. Unc... 88%.

Would I have a glass with K? Sure, if he could contain the f bombs.
User avatar
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: May 30th 2009, 8:37am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #31  Postby Howard Cooper » February 20th 2012, 8:03am

J a y H a c k wrote:As a Michigan alum, Coach K has done more to make my life miserable in the winter than Jim Tressle did to make it miserable in the Fall, but I can't seem to hate the guy.


Would you like lessons? [berserker.gif]
Howard
"That's what I do. I drink wine and I know things."
Trip B.
 
Posts: 6
Joined: February 8th 2012, 10:42am

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #32  Postby Trip B. » February 20th 2012, 11:22am

He's a HUGE Jacky Truchot fan.
User avatar
K John Joseph
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: June 8th 2011, 11:55am
Location: Dallas

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #33  Postby K John Joseph » February 20th 2012, 12:39pm

Trip B. wrote:He's a HUGE Jacky Truchot fan.


I prefer Jacky Treehorn.
J0hn-J-K4ne
User avatar
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: May 30th 2009, 8:37am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #34  Postby Howard Cooper » February 20th 2012, 2:38pm

Trip B. wrote:He's a HUGE Jacky Truchot fan.


[cheers.gif] good one.
Howard
"That's what I do. I drink wine and I know things."
User avatar
Stephen Faulkner
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 157
Joined: September 6th 2010, 8:30am
Location: WV Panhandle

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #35  Postby Stephen Faulkner » February 20th 2012, 4:27pm

Mike Heyse wrote:And they graduate about 83% of their players. Unc... 88%.


But they do know how to rally from 20 points down!

Nice try, Mike, but that was just one cohort, 2003, that I am sure you chose randomly. I can cherry-pick as well: 2004 - Duke 100 UNC 89; 2002 - Duke 92 UNC 75; 2001 - Duke 89 UNC 86. And they do pretty well across the athletic spectrum according to the NCAA's latest GSR: Duke's 97 percent Graduation Success Rate is tops in the ACC, equaled by Boston College (97) and followed by Wake Forest (94), Virginia Tech (91), Miami (89), North Carolina (88), Virginia (87), Clemson (82), Maryland (82), Florida State (79), Georgia Tech (77) and N.C. State (74). Even Miami beats UNC!

I'm always amazed by the Duke hate and will never understand where it comes from. Laetner's piss? baby seal blood? It is the epitome of the American story: hard work, discipline, and a tribute to K's abilities to have built the program from nothing at a small school when no one thought much of him or Duke. Hard to believe those are things to hate. There is no perfection in this life, so there are faults, but who among us doesn't have them (except for Jay, of course!).

I'm a Duke grad, obviously a fan, always love to see them win, and especially BEAT CAROLINA. But I respect the quality of the other programs and coaches and I have no problem recognizing that Roy Williams is also a great coach with a great program.
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #36  Postby Mike Heyse » February 20th 2012, 4:47pm

Stephen Faulkner wrote:
Mike Heyse wrote:And they graduate about 83% of their players. Unc... 88%.


But they do know how to rally from 20 points down!

Nice try, Mike, but that was just one cohort, 2003, that I am sure you chose randomly. I can cherry-pick as well: 2004 - Duke 100 UNC 89; 2002 - Duke 92 UNC 75; 2001 - Duke 89 UNC 86. And they do pretty well across the athletic spectrum according to the NCAA's latest GSR: Duke's 97 percent Graduation Success Rate is tops in the ACC, equaled by Boston College (97) and followed by Wake Forest (94), Virginia Tech (91), Miami (89), North Carolina (88), Virginia (87), Clemson (82), Maryland (82), Florida State (79), Georgia Tech (77) and N.C. State (74). Even Miami beats UNC!

I'm always amazed by the Duke hate and will never understand where it comes from. Laetner's piss? baby seal blood? It is the epitome of the American story: hard work, discipline, and a tribute to K's abilities to have built the program from nothing at a small school when no one thought much of him or Duke. Hard to believe those are things to hate. There is no perfection in this life, so there are faults, but who among us doesn't have them (except for Jay, of course!).

I'm a Duke grad, obviously a fan, always love to see them win, and especially BEAT CAROLINA. But I respect the quality of the other programs and coaches and I have no problem recognizing that Roy Williams is also a great coach with a great program.


Not saying it's not a great program. Or that a 83% grad rate isn't great. It is. But you really need to read the book I mentioned above. Might be tough medicine, but it's a lot of tough truth, too. It will help you "understand where it comes from."
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #37  Postby Mike Heyse » February 20th 2012, 4:49pm

Ps, my 83% figure was from 2010. Just using the most recent data available to me.
User avatar
K John Joseph
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: June 8th 2011, 11:55am
Location: Dallas

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #38  Postby K John Joseph » February 20th 2012, 7:35pm

As a U-Texas grad and an outsider looking in, it always seems that UNC disrespects itself with the whole "DOOK" "DOOKIES" "RAT FACE" garbage. I also have a hard time believing that a Duke grad will learn a ton of tough "truths" from a book titled "Duke Sucks." I'm going to have to say that title sounds just a bit biased. It would be like an Aggie suggesting I read a book written by an Aggie about UT titled "SAW EM OFF THEM LONGHORN DICKSUCKERS!" I'm sure I'll learn tons of "truths" from a book written to lambaste and demean.

I'm all about rivalries and supporting your team, and was a Texas Cowboy at UT. What I've never understood is how acting disrespectful to an excellent program and a hall of fame coach sheds any positive light on your program. And I'm sure it's a two way street. It just doesn't seem like it to us here in Texas. But, we're a little slow down south, as you can tell by watching any Rick Barnes coached team...
J0hn-J-K4ne
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #39  Postby Mike Heyse » February 21st 2012, 4:38am

K John Joseph wrote:As a U-Texas grad and an outsider looking in, it always seems that UNC disrespects itself with the whole "DOOK" "DOOKIES" "RAT FACE" garbage. I also have a hard time believing that a Duke grad will learn a ton of tough "truths" from a book titled "Duke Sucks." I'm going to have to say that title sounds just a bit biased. It would be like an Aggie suggesting I read a book written by an Aggie about UT titled "SAW EM OFF THEM LONGHORN DICKSUCKERS!" I'm sure I'll learn tons of "truths" from a book written to lambaste and demean.

I'm all about rivalries and supporting your team, and was a Texas Cowboy at UT. What I've never understood is how acting disrespectful to an excellent program and a hall of fame coach sheds any positive light on your program. And I'm sure it's a two way street. It just doesn't seem like it to us here in Texas. But, we're a little slow down south, as you can tell by watching any Rick Barnes coached team...


While every other program in the nation wishes they had a rivalry like Dook and UNC's, they can't. It's difficult to understand, even if you have a coach who thought he could hack it in the ACC by trying to fight a 75 year old HOF coach. The book, while curiously titled, investigates from a national perspective why people hate Dook. It does an excellent job of dispelling the whole "people hate us because we win" mentality. My favorite bit is the statistical analysis of Dook's almost-total lack of true road games over the last decade. That and the impressive collection of total flops in the NBA. And speaking of flops...
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #40  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » February 21st 2012, 6:06am

Stephen Faulkner wrote:
Mike Heyse wrote:And they graduate about 83% of their players. Unc... 88%.


But they do know how to rally from 20 points down!

Nice try, Mike, but that was just one cohort, 2003, that I am sure you chose randomly. I can cherry-pick as well: 2004 - Duke 100 UNC 89; 2002 - Duke 92 UNC 75; 2001 - Duke 89 UNC 86. And they do pretty well across the athletic spectrum according to the NCAA's latest GSR: Duke's 97 percent Graduation Success Rate is tops in the ACC, equaled by Boston College (97) and followed by Wake Forest (94), Virginia Tech (91), Miami (89), North Carolina (88), Virginia (87), Clemson (82), Maryland (82), Florida State (79), Georgia Tech (77) and N.C. State (74). Even Miami beats UNC!

I'm always amazed by the Duke hate and will never understand where it comes from. Laetner's piss? baby seal blood? It is the epitome of the American story: hard work, discipline, and a tribute to K's abilities to have built the program from nothing at a small school when no one thought much of him or Duke. Hard to believe those are things to hate. There is no perfection in this life, so there are faults, but who among us doesn't have them (except for Jay, of course!).

I'm a Duke grad, obviously a fan, always love to see them win, and especially BEAT CAROLINA. But I respect the quality of the other programs and coaches and I have no problem recognizing that Roy Williams is also a great coach with a great program.


Stephen, I think the hatred comes from him being a whiny, foul-mouthed, win-at-any-cost bully, like his mentor, Bobby Knight. Between the two of them, no question that that style wins more college basketball games than any other (Boeheim of Syracuse and Self of Kansas are cuspal the same style). There are many measures of success with a bunch of 18-20-year-olds, but when was the last time you saw ESPN pan the crowd at Cameron and point out a handful of former players returning home? Ever? Two showed up for his record-breaking win? And do you seriously think that Knight would have travelled to be there for the moment if ESPN was not paying him to cover the game? (In the interest of full disclosure, I hold degrees from Virginia Tech and Florida State (among others), and I am a Tar Heel season ticket holder!)
User avatar
Bill Klapp (deactivated)
 
Posts: 5039
Joined: June 27th 2009, 12:50am
Location: Neive, Italy and Burgundy, France

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #41  Postby Bill Klapp (deactivated) » February 21st 2012, 6:08am

Mike Heyse wrote:
K John Joseph wrote:As a U-Texas grad and an outsider looking in, it always seems that UNC disrespects itself with the whole "DOOK" "DOOKIES" "RAT FACE" garbage. I also have a hard time believing that a Duke grad will learn a ton of tough "truths" from a book titled "Duke Sucks." I'm going to have to say that title sounds just a bit biased. It would be like an Aggie suggesting I read a book written by an Aggie about UT titled "SAW EM OFF THEM LONGHORN DICKSUCKERS!" I'm sure I'll learn tons of "truths" from a book written to lambaste and demean.

I'm all about rivalries and supporting your team, and was a Texas Cowboy at UT. What I've never understood is how acting disrespectful to an excellent program and a hall of fame coach sheds any positive light on your program. And I'm sure it's a two way street. It just doesn't seem like it to us here in Texas. But, we're a little slow down south, as you can tell by watching any Rick Barnes coached team...


While every other program in the nation wishes they had a rivalry like Dook and UNC's, they can't. It's difficult to understand, even if you have a coach who thought he could hack it in the ACC by trying to fight a 75 year old HOF coach. The book, while curiously titled, investigates from a national perspective why people hate Dook. It does an excellent job of dispelling the whole "people hate us because we win" mentality. My favorite bit is the statistical analysis of Dook's almost-total lack of true road games over the last decade. That and the impressive collection of total flops in the NBA. And speaking of flops...


Copy that. My favorite line in the whole book may have been, "If only the floor could slap back..."
User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
 
Posts: 2572
Joined: February 7th 2012, 2:42pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #42  Postby Andrew Kotowski » February 21st 2012, 7:23am

Wonderful to see the old, whining Carolina faces again. I picked my avatar just for you!

@Stephen - in answer to your question, UNC fans hate Coach K because he is an American hero... and they have Roy now. Coach K came from a poor, working class family, graduated from West Point (where he played for Bobby Knight), then went back and coached at West Point before moving to Duke. The hit list: 4 NCAA titles. Most Division 1 Wins in the history of men's hoops. Coach of the USA National team with a FIBA Championship and an Olympic gold medal after the program went off a cliff. Oh, don't forget they've won the ACC Tournament 10 of the last 13 years. It drives guys like Howard and Mike crazy, because they remember the legacy of Dean Smith, but now have to tune into ESPN and watch Roy Williams crying (literally), wondering why he let his team down (again) or why left his third string on the court at FSU while he took his starters and ran for the locker room. And this year? Having Duke come back from 18 points down and beating you on your own floor? Against Barnes, Zeller, Marshall and Co.? Bwahahaha!

In answer to the real question, Coach K talked about his love for Napa cabs at the grad school campout one year and that he hosted a charity wine auctions a couple of times to raise money for the Emily K Foundation. Aside from that, I know for a fact that he likes Hourglass.
User avatar
C. Grimm
 
Posts: 5312
Joined: May 30th 2009, 12:49pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #43  Postby C. Grimm » February 21st 2012, 7:27am

Man, has this thread drifted. As another ACC grad, here is my take on why people hate Duke.

1. When they win (as in basketball), it's a whole lot of "we're Duke and we're GREAT" stuff.
2. When they lose (as in football) it's a whole lot of "well, we're just this tiny school and it is hard to believe that we even compete outside of I-AA" nonsense - serious double-standard issues at Duke.

Personally, I lost a lot of respect for the program when they petitioned the NCAA to have the losses removed from K's record when they finished in last place in the ACC one season - K missed much of the season with, IIRC, back troubles. I'm quite confident that if they'd had a good season, they wouldn't have been looking to take away the wins.
Chris
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #44  Postby Mike Heyse » February 21st 2012, 7:39am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Wonderful to see the old, whining Carolina faces again. I picked my avatar just for you!

@Stephen - in answer to your question, UNC fans hate Coach K because he is an American hero... and they have Roy now. Coach K came from a poor, working class family, graduated from West Point (where he played for Bobby Knight), then went back and coached at West Point before moving to Duke. The hit list: 4 NCAA titles. Most Division 1 Wins in the history of men's hoops. Coach of the USA National team with a FIBA Championship and an Olympic gold medal after the program went off a cliff. Oh, don't forget they've won the ACC Tournament 10 of the last 13 years. It drives guys like Howard and Mike crazy, because they remember the legacy of Dean Smith, but now have to tune into ESPN and watch Roy Williams crying (literally), wondering why he let his team down (again) or why left his third string on the court at FSU while he took his starters and ran for the locker room. And this year? Having Duke come back from 18 points down and beating you on your own floor? Against Barnes, Zeller, Marshall and Co.? Bwahahaha!

In answer to the real question, Coach K talked about his love for Napa cabs at the grad school campout one year and that he hosted a charity wine auctions a couple of times to raise money for the Emily K Foundation. Aside from that, I know for a fact that he likes Hourglass.


A Dookie wants to bring up crying and whinning? Seriously?!

Image

Image

Image

And now someone who wasn't crying...

Image
User avatar
AKuehn
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 466
Joined: January 28th 2011, 8:40am

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #45  Postby AKuehn » February 21st 2012, 7:40am

Mike Heyse wrote:My favorite bit is the statistical analysis of Dook's almost-total lack of true road games over the last decade. That and the impressive collection of total flops in the NBA. And speaking of flops...

It's my understanding that the lack of "true" road games is nothing more than intelligent tournament prep. You don't usually play on the opponent's home floor in the tourney (unlike in the women's game, where this happens quite often).

I would think the number of flops in the NBA actually speaks well for Coach K's ability to coach players with slightly-less-than-top-tier natural talent. The NBA is a very head-to-head game, where the ability to break down an opponent one-on-one is arguably the most essential player skill. Most Duke players aren't that kind of player, but they play fundamentally as a team. When given the opportunity to work with top-level talent, though, Coach K seems to do just fine, as can be seen on the U.S. Olympic teams he has coached.

And yes, he can use salty language. But just as importantly, he knows when NOT to use it, too.

I'd happily raise a glass with Coach K any time.

Full disclosure: I have season tickets to Duke basketball games...the women's team, that is. The men are like top-tier Bordeaux: Great, but out of my price range.
-Adam
User avatar
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: April 28th 2010, 6:10am
Location: Baltimore & DC

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #46  Postby Mike Heyse » February 21st 2012, 8:13am

AKuehn wrote:
Mike Heyse wrote:My favorite bit is the statistical analysis of Dook's almost-total lack of true road games over the last decade. That and the impressive collection of total flops in the NBA. And speaking of flops...

It's my understanding that the lack of "true" road games is nothing more than intelligent tournament prep. You don't usually play on the opponent's home floor in the tourney (unlike in the women's game, where this happens quite often).


Hard to say, but to me, it certainly doesn't help to have avoided truly hostile environments. Yes, Duke has won 4 National Championships (UNC has won 6), and been to 15 Final Fours (UNC - 18). Again, this is something the book does a much better job of discussing in detail, but Dook tends to have some remarkably early tourney exits, possibly due to their lack of being truly road-tested other than in ACC competition.

Some stats (from the Duke Sucks book): From 2001 to 2011, Duke played a total of THREE true away games, out of a possible 250 - 300 (authors assumed that outside of ACC play, Duke plays 9 - 14 nonconference games per year). 12/6/08 - Loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor. 1/21/06 - Loss to G'town in DC. 12/8/01 - def. Michigan in Ann Arbor (Michigan's RPI at the time: 151). Compare: During a 16 day span in December 2007, UNC played at Kentucky, at UPenn, and at Rutgers. Over the same 10 year span, UNC averaged 2 per year.

Now, does this affect Duke's tourney success? Again, hard to say. The book does an excellent job discussing how Duke seems to always get a remarkably favorable road to the Final Four, every year, however (ultimately concluding that a conspiracy to actually make that happen is a bit circumstantial).

As far as the NBA, not a huge fan of the style of play, and I agree, K's ability to make sub-par players play well as a unit deserves recognition. It's still very strange, though, that a significant number of blue chip recruits go to Duke only to end up as NBA flops. Duke grads have earned a whopping 1 NBA title; and that was Danny Ferry while riding the bench for San Antonio. Not one NBA Hall of Famer. (15 UNC players/coaches have won a combined 30 titles, and none of them were bench riders; one of them was the greatest player of all-time).
User avatar
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10538
Joined: May 30th 2009, 8:37am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #47  Postby Howard Cooper » February 21st 2012, 8:16am

Mike Heyse wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:Wonderful to see the old, whining Carolina faces again. I picked my avatar just for you!

@Stephen - in answer to your question, UNC fans hate Coach K because he is an American hero... and they have Roy now. Coach K came from a poor, working class family, graduated from West Point (where he played for Bobby Knight), then went back and coached at West Point before moving to Duke. The hit list: 4 NCAA titles. Most Division 1 Wins in the history of men's hoops. Coach of the USA National team with a FIBA Championship and an Olympic gold medal after the program went off a cliff. Oh, don't forget they've won the ACC Tournament 10 of the last 13 years. It drives guys like Howard and Mike crazy, because they remember the legacy of Dean Smith, but now have to tune into ESPN and watch Roy Williams crying (literally), wondering why he let his team down (again) or why left his third string on the court at FSU while he took his starters and ran for the locker room. And this year? Having Duke come back from 18 points down and beating you on your own floor? Against Barnes, Zeller, Marshall and Co.? Bwahahaha!

In answer to the real question, Coach K talked about his love for Napa cabs at the grad school campout one year and that he hosted a charity wine auctions a couple of times to raise money for the Emily K Foundation. Aside from that, I know for a fact that he likes Hourglass.


A Dookie wants to bring up crying and whinning? Seriously?!

Image

Image

Image

And now someone who wasn't crying...

Image


Don't forget: http://totallyfunfreestuff.com/Destinat ... id=1368303

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bYcCnDn ... re=related
Howard
"That's what I do. I drink wine and I know things."
User avatar
K John Joseph
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: June 8th 2011, 11:55am
Location: Dallas

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #48  Postby K John Joseph » February 21st 2012, 8:30am

I'm fascinated by the flops argument, and the lack of truly incredible Duke players in the NBA, although I think there are some really strong talents from Duke currently in the NBA. From my perspective, Duke seems like the preferred destination for the wealthy white kid that is the best prospect in his area. Duke always seems like the white flight target for guys like Kyle Singler, Laettner, and countless others. While those guys seem to really excell in a structured team oriented game, they don't seem to transition particularly well to the NBA because many of them lack explosive athletecism. Some can still make it as an excellent shooter, though, like Laettner, Dunleavy JR, and JJ Redick. I think it is interesting, though, that Duke has almost 50% more active NBA guys (pre-lockout) than UNC, and active means currently salaried. Guys like Stackhouse don't really count, but are listed in my figures. Duke has 17 active players (pre lockout) in the NBA compared to 12 from UNC.

I also think that the current talent in the NBA weighs in favor of Duke, although 5 or 8 years ago it would be clearly in favor of UNC. At this point, I think even you die-hard UNC fans have to admit that you'd rather have a starting lineup of

Elton Brand, Luol Deng, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Kyrie Irving

over

Brenden Haywood, Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Ty Lawson, and Ray Felton


As an aside to the UNC fans, do you consider Christian Laettner to be a flop in the NBA?

(for total disclosure, my Wife's little sister currently goes to UNC, and I have absolutely no ties to Duke and generally pick them to get hosed in my March Madness brackets)
J0hn-J-K4ne
User avatar
K John Joseph
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: June 8th 2011, 11:55am
Location: Dallas

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #49  Postby K John Joseph » February 21st 2012, 8:32am

this is for the UNC guys:

Not surprise Coach K likes Napa cabs. They appear ripe when young, but can't age worth a shit and seem to fall apart after about 4 years. That's his players' MO right?
J0hn-J-K4ne
User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
 
Posts: 2572
Joined: February 7th 2012, 2:42pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: So...What Does Coach K Drink????

Post #50  Postby Andrew Kotowski » February 21st 2012, 8:37am

>> It's my understanding that the lack of "true" road games is nothing more than intelligent tournament prep. You don't usually play on the opponent's home floor in the tourney.

Exactly, which is why Duke plays a ton of games every year against Top 20 teams in pre-conference tournaments and at MSG. This year, they played 5 games in 8 days, beating Davidson, Michigan State, Tenn, Michigan and Kansas on neutral courts. Also, a lot of the venues are chosen for capacity - take Duke vs. Oregon in Portland last year. Didn't make the "TRUE away game" list, but they packed the Rose Garden for the Tale of Two Singlers. As far as the NBA players go - Grant Hill, Boozer, Battier, Deng, Maggette, Irving... all flops. Yeahhhhh.

At the end of the day, Coach K likes Napa cabs (in answer to the origial question), I'll still toast Howard if Duke loses to UNC (and then complain about the officiating) and the ACC is the greatest conference in the history of college basketball. End of story.

Return to Wine Talk

logo
Food Advertising by