Dr. Big J is gone from WA?

In a posting on eRobertParker.com, Robert Parker has announced that Jay Miller will no longer be writing for The Wine Advocate. Parker says: “After several months of consideration, Big Jay, who has done such a thorough and professional job of bringing emerging wine regions such as Spain, South America, and the Pacific Northwest much needed coverage and attention, has decided to return to wine consulting, lecturing and wine retail.”

Sounds like confirmation of the story those emails told.

Whitewash.

The note they posted eRP was very nice and thoughtful and even rebutted the notion that Jay was stepping down to appease his critics or because of the latest events. Regardless, let’s just be classy and let him ride into the sunset. Even if I don’t agree with his take on many wines, when I met him earlier this year he was very nice and professional.

I agree with Eric. I will say this however. I am optimistic that the following can now happen:

Actual, professional coverage of Oregon wines

A more well rounded, complete job of Washington reviews, not simply “90-96”, drink through 2069.

A huge opportunity to show what Spain is truly all about

Perhaps a chance to rediscover Australian wine.

I am not dancing on the concept of his absence, but between this and Antonio, and depending on who is assigned to these regions, I may subscribe again.

Neal Martin will take over reviewing the wines of Spain, Argentina, and Chile for the publication. David Schildknecht will review the wines of Oregon and Washington.

Jay Miller may be a decent guy, he may simply be caught up unfairly in Campo’s corrupt machinations. But I had zero trust in his reviews. Martin and Schildknecht taking over Miller’s new world territory (plus new wave spain) is good news for drinkers of balanced wine. I’m interested to see what Schildknechtized rather than Millerized wines will taste like.

There has been a new article or blog post on Wine Berserkers titled ‘Jay Miller leaves the Wine Advocate’ by admin

Click http://wineberserkers.com/content/?p=980 to view the entire article. The full text is also incuded below.

Dr Vino reports on Jay Miller leaving the WA. Here is an excerpt:
In a posting on eRobertParker.com, Robert Parker has announced that Jay Miller will no longer be writing for The Wine Advocate. Parker says: “After several months of consideration, Big Jay, who has done such a thorough and professional job of bringing emerging wine regions such as Spain, South America, and the Pacific Northwest much needed coverage and attention, has decided to return to wine consulting, lecturing and wine retail.”

Miller says he will be returning part time to Bin 604, a wine store, working on a book and may start a wine blog.
Click here to read the rest.

Link to article: http://wineberserkers.com/content/?p=980

Is there specifics on who gets the areas that will be freed up by Miller’s absence? I’d love to see Schildknecht take on Spain.

Hey dork, did you read what you quoted. FAIL [snort.gif]

[rofl.gif] blush

I assumed the quoted was from someone else in the thread. pileon

Good one Whetstone.
Btw sucks to be Quilceda Creek

It shouldn’t suck, David seems plenty capable of reviewing their wines in the context of the style in which they are produced. What it means is there can be room at the table for more than one style and producers like Cadence and Seven Hills who make great wines will be on an even playing field.

Seriously “ride into the sunset”, Eric, you must be joking? Did you read his reviews at all? People on your site write better than Jay Miller. Dont sugarcoat what is obviously a poorly made decision from the beginning.

According to the quote on DrVino, nobody gets Australia…

we should all start a letter writing campaign to get it assigned to Jeremy Holmes.

Dear Robert…we would consider subscribing again…if you hire this guy…

Australia had already moved over to Lisa Perrotti Brown a few months back…

Holy shit … I’m actually starting to consider a WA subscription now. This sounds very attractive to me:

“Neal Martin will take over reviewing the wines of Spain, Argentina, and Chile for the publication. David Schildknecht will review the wines of Oregon and Washington.” >

Now, if Parker would just leave TWA … [worship.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

Like Eric, I too have also meet Jay, and he is a truly nice guy in person. People have this enternal hope that change will automatically be better (I could think of an example, but can’t make the thread political). Change is not aways better, so as a subscriber, I wait and see what the future holds, and hope that it is for the better.

Apparently I missed that, thank you for the info!

I did read his reviews. I just think the best response at this point is to applaud the decision and move on. Obviously many do not agree which is of course your right.