Best iPhone wine apps?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Best iPhone wine apps?

Post #1  Postby John Morris » November 17th 2011, 11:07am

I finally broke down and bought an iPhone -- a 4S.

What wine apps should I consider getting?

I see that Wine Searcher has one, which would be logical. But is it any good?

Are there any label-scanning apps that are good?

I welcome all thoughts.

John
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated

Advertisement

Uwe Kristen

Re: Best iPhone wine apps?

Post #2  Postby Uwe Kristen » November 17th 2011, 11:15am

Smart Bordeaux is free and scans (Bordeaux) labels surprisingly accurately.
Der Kellermeister - Riesling and
Bill H
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #3  Postby Bill H » November 17th 2011, 11:22am

John Morris wrote:I finally broke down and bought an iPhone -- a 4S.

What wine apps should I consider getting?

I see that Wine Searcher has one, which would be logical. But is it any good?

Are there any label-scanning apps that are good?

I welcome all thoughts.

John

Especially if you're on CellarTracker, Cor.kz is cool
Bill Heffron
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby John Morris » November 17th 2011, 4:54pm

I'm not on CT. Would it be any use apart from that?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
Joe Hauck

Post #5  Postby Joe Hauck » November 17th 2011, 5:11pm

John Morris wrote:I'm not on CT. Would it be any use apart from that?

I would say no. I'm on CT and still don't use it much.

WE NEED GOOD WINE APPS!!!!!!!
One of the few good things about
JKim
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #6  Postby JKim » November 17th 2011, 5:43pm

None. But on the iPad, I like CellarVU. But even then, I usually go to CT.
Joe
SteveG

Post #7  Postby SteveG » November 17th 2011, 5:59pm

Admittedly, I am on CT, but even if you are not, I assume you can search the wine and read tasting notes, etc. Otherwise, since registration is free, why not give it a try. Will also scan barcodes to ID the wine and bring up notes and cost, FWIW.
steve gurevitz
P. Jarich

Post #8  Postby P. Jarich » November 17th 2011, 8:00pm

Funny. I just posted a similar question (http://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=56587).

I don't care so much about scanning or reviews, I'm more interested in something to take notes, help me recall what I tasted and maybe even get some recommendations. My searching, however, has come up with nothing much that's good.
Josh Shields
ContributorContributor

Post #9  Postby Josh Shields » November 17th 2011, 8:35pm

Cor.kz for the following reasons: syncs with CT which you say you dont currently use but may some day. If you don't load your cellar via CT, you still have access to the database of notes. Pricing is at your fingertips when shopping local or if you want to buy online. It's honestly the only way I can keep my cellar current by adding and removing bottles with it. It has an option to show 4 vintages side by side of an individual wine. Regular updates to functionality.

If a better one exists I'm all ears.
Bob Agler
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #10  Postby Bob Agler » November 17th 2011, 8:39pm

Josh Shields wrote:Cor.kz for the following reasons: syncs with CT which you say you dont currently use but may some day. If you don't load your cellar via CT, you still have access to the database of notes. Pricing is at your fingertips when shopping local or if you want to buy online. It's honestly the only way I can keep my cellar current by adding and removing bottles with it. It has an option to show 4 vintages side by side of an individual wine. Regular updates to functionality.

If a better one exists I'm all ears.

+1
Steven Miller
ContributorContributor

Post #11  Postby Steven Miller » November 17th 2011, 8:59pm

I primarily use cor.kz to figure out what's good on a wine list full of wines I don't know well. I've tried it to post quick comments, but think the interface could be better... I end up going back later to fix it.
tread lightly
dbailey

Post #12  Postby dbailey » November 18th 2011, 5:19am

Atlas vins for maps of all the vineyards in burgundy.
Dan
Brandon T.
SubscriberSubscriber

I just got one too.

Post #13  Postby Brandon T. » November 18th 2011, 7:49am

I also nominate corkz even though I don't have my cellar loaded onto cellar tracker. Wine Spectator has a free vintage chart that is convenient. Wine searcher has a mobile website that is easier to read. Tapatalk runs this board on your phone in a very nice format. I'm interested to hear about any others myself.
B r a n d o n
T u l e y
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #14  Postby John Morris » November 18th 2011, 8:23am

FYI, there's another parallel thread, not limited to the iPhone.
Matthew Kershaw

Best iPhone wine apps?

Post #15  Postby Matthew Kershaw » November 18th 2011, 8:35am

Tapatalk! It's a forum reading app. It's how I consume and post to Wine Bezerkers.
AndrewH

Post #16  Postby AndrewH » November 18th 2011, 9:58am

Steven Miller wrote:I primarily use cor.kz to figure out what's good on a wine list full of wines I don't know well. I've tried it to post quick comments, but think the interface could be better... I end up going back later to fix it.

I started using cor.kz a couple of weeks ago, and while not without its flaws does seem to be the best game in town, particularly for integrating with Cellar Tracker.

I suppose the original question could use more precision- what precisely do you want to achieve with the iPhone apps? Cor.kz and CT are pretty good if you want to manage cellar inventory. But if you don't care to do that, they have less value. Wine Spectator's site is pretty worthless on a mobile device (not much better on a browser) for searching (without getting into a debate over whether you would find the information a search provide to be valuable).
Andrew H e i m e r t
Brady Daniels
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #17  Postby Brady Daniels » November 18th 2011, 10:39am

Out of interest, what do y'all do with Cor.kz integration with CT, that isn't better done on the new CT itself?

Thanks.
-Brady (Brady D on CT)

2014 Favorite wines:
1958 Haut Brion
1998 Roumier Bonnes Mares
1993 Engel Clos Vougeot
1978 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle
2010 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zinfandel
C Fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Best iPhone wine apps?

Post #18  Postby C Fu » November 18th 2011, 10:59am

Brady Daniels wrote:Out of interest, what do y'all do with Cor.kz integration with CT, that isn't better done on the new CT itself?

Thanks.

ct isn't optimized for mobile. Cor.kz is just a stop gap currently as the inability to add wine with locations is annoying!
Ch@rlie Fu
AndrewH

Post #19  Postby AndrewH » November 18th 2011, 12:08pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Brady Daniels wrote:Out of interest, what do y'all do with Cor.kz integration with CT, that isn't better done on the new CT itself?

Thanks.

ct isn't optimized for mobile. Cor.kz is just a stop gap currently as the inability to add wine with locations is annoying!

Really helpful at least to scan in the wines down by the cellar, and then correct info on CT.

And it's not as if CT has the most user-friendly interface. I realize you get what you pay for.
Andrew H e i m e r t
M Hudson
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby M Hudson » November 18th 2011, 12:26pm

I use corkz all the time when shopping. If we see a bottle in a store I can quickly scan it and see pro reviews (assuming you subscribe to the newsletter and link that sub to ct). And read ct user tasting notes. It also links into wine searcher pro do I can compare prices.

I use it to add bottle to my cellar and remove them.

I rarely use my pc anymore
M@rk

There's indecision when you know you ain't got nothing left
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby John Morris » November 18th 2011, 1:39pm

A. H e i m e r t wrote:I suppose the original question could use more precision- what precisely do you want to achieve with the iPhone apps? Cor.kz and CT are pretty good if you want to manage cellar inventory. But if you don't care to do that, they have less value. Wine Spectator's site is pretty worthless on a mobile device (not much better on a browser) for searching (without getting into a debate over whether you would find the information a search provide to be valuable).

I'd definitely like to have Wine Searcher capabilities when shopping. A label scanner function that would tie into some database would be nice.

I hadn't really thought about inventory management because I now use Excel, but perhaps cor.kz could be an incentive to switch to CT.

I was really just trying to find what cool stuff is out there. The app store and Google were not very helpful on that.
Ivan T

Post #22  Postby Ivan T » November 18th 2011, 2:53pm

M Hudson wrote:I use corkz all the time when shopping. If we see a bottle in a store I can quickly scan it and see pro reviews (assuming you subscribe to the newsletter and link that sub to ct). And read ct user tasting notes. It also links into wine searcher pro do I can compare prices.

I use it to add bottle to my cellar and remove them.

I rarely use my pc anymore

+1. I really like that corkz gives you wine-searcher prices after the CT reviews. Makes for a quick on the go buying decision. [welldone.gif]
I V A N T U R K E N I C H
Luis DeCubas

Post #23  Postby Luis DeCubas » November 18th 2011, 3:58pm

Cork.z is the best wine app currenty available. I like that it is linked to cellartracker.
Luis DeCubas
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby John Morris » November 18th 2011, 4:02pm

M Hudson wrote:I use corkz all the time when shopping. If we see a bottle in a store I can quickly scan it and see pro reviews (assuming you subscribe to the newsletter and link that sub to ct). And read ct user tasting notes. It also links into wine searcher pro do I can compare prices.

Anyone have any opinions on how this compares to Wine Searcher's own app?
Steven Miller
ContributorContributor

Post #25  Postby Steven Miller » November 18th 2011, 5:40pm

I'd rather use their mobile site. The APP isn't worth the 99 cents I paid for it.
tread lightly
Uwe Kristen

Post #26  Postby Uwe Kristen » November 23rd 2011, 9:00am

Personally, I prefer Freisa to Barolo so I haven't downloaded it yet but I just read this article about a new Barolo iPhone app:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a201111174.html
Der Kellermeister - Riesling and

Return to Wine Talk