TN: 1995 Domaine Philippe Naddef Fixin (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Fixin)

• 1995 Domaine Philippe Naddef Fixin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Fixin (10/11/2011)
    Dinner at La Noce (La Noce, Valley Point): A beautiful Burg from an unknown maker and an unfashionable village - rare as it is, I am bowled over every time we find gems like this one. It had a beautiful nose, all lovely floaty flowers, luscious yet lifted scents of strawberry and cherry and a little touch of earth and sous bois - a glorious nose, classic Burg. With a super-impressive, knock-your-socks-off bouquet like this, you would almost half expect the palate to disappoint, but this really lived up to its billing. Beautifully developed, it danced across the mouth with a caress of silky tannins, leaving a trail of red cherries and strawberries in its wake. Not the most complex, but certainly not simple, this was very pretty and perfectly balanced by little dollops of acid. While ever so elegant, the whole wine was still underpinned by a firmness of structure and, in spite of the silk, a steely, stony almost stern minerality - just enough austerity to it for us to guess it as a 1995. Still tight at the edges then, but very together and very integrated and just brilliantly enjoyable. This was a lovely Fixin that was punching at the level of a 1er Cru from one of the more famous Cote de Nuits villages. Perfectly fine to drink it now, although I think it will happily go on for a few more years, even improving a little. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just had the 1997, and it also showed beautifully marred only by a slight hardness in the finish. Not a maker I know but a lovely wine punching way above weight given terroir and vintage.

They keen a pretty low profile but I’m planning to visit this year. They have some Mazis-Chambertin as well as a nice portfolio of Gevrey & Fixin crus.

Older bottlings of theirs for some reason tend to show up relatively frequently (given that I’ve never seen in a recent one). On other burg-related pages, they get similarly positive feedback, fwiw.

Been a while since I’ve seen Naddef, but I recall liking the mid-90s vintages I tried from Fixin and Gevrey. They were definitely structured for the cellar.