I don't drink Pinot, but . . .

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Paul Flynn
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1  Postby Paul Flynn » September 10th 2011, 4:59pm

I don't drink much Pinot Noir. AFAIK, it's overpriced and rarely delivers unless you're willing to pony up tons of money. I was in my local wine store tonight and I had salmon queued up for my evening meal so I grabbed a bottle of 2009 Loring Pinot Gary's Vineyard. I'm drinking it now post meal.

Wow! This definitely won't be to everyone's taste but this is one tasty mouthful of wine. It's fruity, smooth and ultra rich. It has what I consider to be a classic Cali Pinot nose but in the mouth this is incredibly unctuous without being alcoholic or hot. It's ready to go now but there's so much fruit here I dare say it might evolve for a few years. This is a real eye opener for me. Not that it matters but I'm going to call this 92 points, which is about 5 points higher than I've ever rated a Cali Pinot.

Bravo Brian!
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Advertisement

Bob Wood
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: I don't drink Pinot, but . . .

Post #2  Postby Bob Wood » September 10th 2011, 9:04pm

Paul Flynn wrote:. . . ultra rich . . . unctuous . . .

I've met Brian Loring. I've barrel tasted with Brian Loring at Shea, Bergstrom and Beaux Freres. I've had lunch with Brian Loring (and a few others). I like Brian Loring.

That said, for me, "rich" and "unctuous" are not words I would associate with a well-made pinot noir. I guess my biases are showing.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983
Jason Hagen
(Online)

Post #3  Postby Jason Hagen » September 10th 2011, 9:25pm

Brian is a stud and a class act. Like Bob, this wine probably would not hit my wheelhouse. I generally skip Garys' vineyard which I find simple and boring (not that there are not some fine wines made from there from time to time). And I am in the minority with many tasters I respect with regards to Garys'. I'd recommend dancing around more Cali pinot producers considering how much you enjoyed this. Or just more of Brian's wines.

Have you had other Loring wines before?

Jason
Nate Simon
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby Nate Simon » September 10th 2011, 9:38pm

I really enjoyed meeting and talking with Brian at Pinot Days this year. I had not tasted his wines before, and I certainly found them to be like Paul describes, definitely well-made, albeit in a different style from some Pinots. I ordered an assortment of his new releases, and I look forward to trying them. Really, why not judge his (and most all) wines by whether they are enjoyable, not whether they match some imagined archetype of their variety?
Berry Crawford

Post #5  Postby Berry Crawford » September 10th 2011, 9:59pm

Nate Simon wrote:Really, why not judge his (and most all) wines by whether they are enjoyable, not whether they match some imagined archetype of their variety?

Well, typicity isnt really imagined is it? When someone buys say a white bordeaux they can be pretty sure of some general parameters on what to expect. Still, there is certainly room for idosyncratic wines but people will usually comment when it breaks typicity to alert others.
gene keenan

Post #6  Postby gene keenan » September 11th 2011, 2:38am

Jealous.

Bravo for you.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private
Scott Butler

Post #7  Postby Scott Butler » September 11th 2011, 6:44am

Great note Paul, I had the 2007 Loring Garys' a week ago, and found it equally enjoyable.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
Scott Butler

Post #8  Postby Scott Butler » September 11th 2011, 6:46am

Nate Simon wrote: Really, why not judge his (and most all) wines by whether they are enjoyable, not whether they match some imagined archetype of their variety?

Well said. [cheers.gif]
Brian Tuite
SubscriberSubscriber
River Rat

Post #9  Postby Brian Tuite » September 11th 2011, 7:53am

Scott Butler wrote:
Nate Simon wrote: Really, why not judge his (and most all) wines by whether they are enjoyable, not whether they match some imagined archetype of their variety?

Well said. [cheers.gif]

There's a place for everything. This Loring Gary's has pleased us this summer. Pairs well with spicy food. Great acidity and a mouthful of fruit.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

I Taste Becklyn

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2017 WOTY...
2014 William & Mary Cab Sauv
NV Jacques Selosse Les Carelles
Frank Drew
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #10  Postby Frank Drew » September 11th 2011, 11:46am

Jason,

I haven't had a chance to try Brian's wine, but have you had an Arcadian Garys' Vineyard (I'm particularly thinking about the 2001)?
brigcampbell
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby brigcampbell » September 12th 2011, 7:52am

I really enjoy the Capiaux Cellars spin on Garys'.
Jason Hagen
(Online)

Post #12  Postby Jason Hagen » September 12th 2011, 8:09am

Frank Drew wrote:Jason,

I haven't had a chance to try Brian's wine, but have you had an Arcadian Garys' Vineyard (I'm particularly thinking about the 2001)?

Yeah, many times. I have my own stash and that bottle seems to pop up lots in these parts. There is certainly some variability with the bottles but I would say different 01 Arcadians would fill the top 5 slots of my favorite Garys'. Those bottles mainly caught my attention because they were Garys'. Had they been from a vineyard outside of SLH I probably wouldn't have been as fascinated.

Jason
Chris Presutti
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #13  Postby Chris Presutti » September 12th 2011, 11:03am

Brian's latest offer includes the 2010 Keefer and Garys' also in the 375ml format at a very reasonable price.
Bob Hunnicutt

Post #14  Postby Bob Hunnicutt » September 12th 2011, 11:17am

Paul Flynn wrote:I don't drink much Pinot Noir. AFAIK, it's overpriced and rarely delivers unless you're willing to pony up tons of money.

Only slightly OT but I have to agree with that. The last several years at the Sonoma County Harvest Fair (three days, hundreds of wines) I've started my days concentrating on Pinots and came to this opinion also. Typical PN is $45 and up and there's no guarantee. Finding the good under $40 ones is a treat. Last year's BTW was Bennett Valley Cellars Bin 6410 at $28.

I don't find this problem with other varietals and actually Cab & blends seem to be the ones that deliver consistently. Zins are fine too if I stay away from most of the high alcohol fruit bombs (don't like that style).

I believe the local Pinots are improving -- probably because of all the newer Sonoma Coast fruit coming online.
(Not Hunnicutt Winery BTW)
Brian Loring
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #15  Postby Brian Loring » September 12th 2011, 11:21am

Paul Flynn wrote:Bravo Brian!

Thanks Paul! [cheers.gif] Not to discount the other great recommendations already listed, but I take it from your note that you liked the bolder aspect of our 09 Garys'. If that's the case, I'd recommend you consider trying some Pinots from Siduri, AP Vin, Roar, and Lucia. All reasonably priced and basically in the same, general style of what we do. I might also add that you should consider looking at their Santa Lucia Highlands and Sta Rita Hills bottlings. Pinots tend to get bigger, bolder, and richer as you look south from Sonoma. There are exceptions, but that's a fairly safe rule of thumb. [berserker.gif]
Loring Wine Company
brigcampbell
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby brigcampbell » September 12th 2011, 3:34pm

Pinots tend to get bigger, bolder, and richer as you look south from Sonoma. There are exceptions, but that's a fairly safe rule of thumb.

Brian, why do you think this is the case? Temperatures cooler up north or stylistic preference of the winemakers?

Nature versus nurture so to speak.
Brian Loring
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #17  Postby Brian Loring » September 13th 2011, 9:09am

brigcampbell wrote:
Pinots tend to get bigger, bolder, and richer as you look south from Sonoma. There are exceptions, but that's a fairly safe rule of thumb.

Brian, why do you think this is the case? Temperatures cooler up north or stylistic preference of the winemakers?

Nature versus nurture so to speak.

Latitude. The farther north, the more daylight hours during the peak growing time. Fruit there tends to get ripe sooner, with less hang time. Fruit in the south needs more time on the vine to accumulate the same daylight hours to get the fruit ripe. That extra time on the vine leads to bigger wines.

The effects of latitude are difficult to overcome. That's why IMHO, I think attempting to replicate Burgundian style wines in Cali, especially as you head south, is a risky pursuit.
Loring Wine Company
Sean Moore

Post #18  Postby Sean Moore » September 13th 2011, 9:15am

Berry Crawford wrote:Well, typicity isnt really imagined is it?

Of course not, but much like genotype, it doesn't tell the full story.

Incidentally, I was expecting the title of this thread to be followed with a "when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."
Scott Butler

Post #19  Postby Scott Butler » September 13th 2011, 10:03am

Sean Moore wrote:
Berry Crawford wrote:Incidentally, I was expecting the title of this thread to be followed with a "when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

Dang, how'd I miss that opportunity!?!?
Howard Cooper
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby Howard Cooper » September 13th 2011, 10:25am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Nate Simon wrote:Really, why not judge his (and most all) wines by whether they are enjoyable, not whether they match some imagined archetype of their variety?

Well, typicity isnt really imagined is it? When someone buys say a white bordeaux they can be pretty sure of some general parameters on what to expect. Still, there is certainly room for idosyncratic wines but people will usually comment when it breaks typicity to alert others.

Berry,

It depends. Who is typical in Alsace, Zind Humbrecht or Trimbach? And, isn't California Pinot really too new to figure out what is typical?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister
Merrill Lindquist
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby Merrill Lindquist » September 13th 2011, 1:18pm

Frank Drew wrote:Jason,

Frank - I had my first Arcadian a few weeks ago (and posted a TN here, along with a couple of other wines). Here is a copy of my TN on that 2001 Gary''s :

Next up was a 2001 Arcadian Gary's Pinot. I was not familiar with this bottling, but my friends were excited for me to try it, and I can see why. A bit of earth on the nose, and a light color perhaps indicating its age. The palate was pure Pinot, not candied or overtly rich but with light spice - subtle yet complex, improving with each pour. In a very, very nice place right now: if I owned this wine, I would be drinking it up as (for me) this is in a perfect place. Enjoyed with our mid courses of risotto with chanterelles.

And as to the OP, you are probably headed down the same slippery slope I have gone down. I used to not like Pinot at all, and then I had one I liked, and another, and another....
Merrill Lindquist
EMH Vineyards - "Black Cat" Cabernet
merrill@emhvineyards.com
Frank Drew
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #22  Postby Frank Drew » September 14th 2011, 11:38am

Thanks for re-posting your note, Merrill, and it pretty much mirrors my impression of the wine -- very Pinot Noir, complex and very well balanced.
Arv R

Post #23  Postby Arv R » January 22nd 2017, 9:10pm

Brian Loring wrote:
Paul Flynn wrote:Bravo Brian!

Thanks Paul! [cheers.gif] Not to discount the other great recommendations already listed, but I take it from your note that you liked the bolder aspect of our 09 Garys'. If that's the case, I'd recommend you consider trying some Pinots from Siduri, AP Vin, Roar, and Lucia. All reasonably priced and basically in the same, general style of what we do. I might also add that you should consider looking at their Santa Lucia Highlands and Sta Rita Hills bottlings. Pinots tend to get bigger, bolder, and richer as you look south from Sonoma. There are exceptions, but that's a fairly safe rule of thumb. [berserker.gif]

Enjoyed a 2014 Siduri [Santa Lucia Highlands] the last couple of nights with Norwegian salmon, and then later a ginormous caraway see crusted pork chop with red cabbage. These remain good PN for those who don't 'get' the grape as much as others do. Medium bodied, very food friendly, and lots of fruit. It was better on the second night if anything.
R_@_0
Kirk.Grant
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Kirk.Grant » January 23rd 2017, 4:04am

Maybe these are gateway Pinots for some that are in the more modern camp? I think of this maybe like I think of the 2006 Bergstroms that got me into Pinot in a big way...not wines I drink now. However, they were exciting enough back then to encourage me to book a trip out to Oregon where I met Jim Anderson and the wines from Patricia Green Cellars.
Last edited by Kirk.Grant on January 23rd 2017, 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant
Brian Tuite
SubscriberSubscriber
River Rat

Post #25  Postby Brian Tuite » January 23rd 2017, 6:27am

Way to dig into the archives and revive a thread Arv. I read from the beginning and when I saw Bob Wood's post I a chill ran up my spine.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

I Taste Becklyn

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2017 WOTY...
2014 William & Mary Cab Sauv
NV Jacques Selosse Les Carelles
Scott Butler

Post #26  Postby Scott Butler » January 23rd 2017, 6:48am

Yeh, the search function seems to be getting some love, the thread called "Favorite California Pinot Appellation?" is also a revived 2011 discussion.
Todd Hamina
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #27  Postby Todd Hamina » January 23rd 2017, 6:51am

Brian Tuite wrote:Way to dig into the archives and revive a thread Arv. I read from the beginning and when I saw Bob Wood's post I a chill ran up my spine.

+1. Bob is unstoppable.
Bruce Rudman
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #28  Postby Bruce Rudman » January 23rd 2017, 6:54am

If you told me ten years ago that my cellar would be 40% Pinot (350+ bottles), I'd say you would have been nuts. It grows on you and it goes with just about everything (yes a Steak too). And Loring is not only a great wine, but Brian is a great guy. Their 15+ bottling run the gamut from fruit forward to elegant. Try a Keefer Ranch and those Anti-Flavor elite guys will change their tune.
Bruce

Post #29  Postby Arv R » January 23rd 2017, 10:30am

Brian Tuite wrote:Way to dig into the archives and revive a thread Arv. I read from the beginning and when I saw Bob Wood's post I a chill ran up my spine.

We all need to do our part to save the planet: recycle our styro shippers, reuse chatboard threads, etc.
R_@_0
Bryan Carr

Post #30  Postby Bryan Carr » January 23rd 2017, 1:51pm

Bruce Rudman wrote:If you told me ten years ago that my cellar would be 40% Pinot (350+ bottles), I'd say you would have been nuts. It grows on you and it goes with just about everything (yes a Steak too). And Loring is not only a great wine, but Brian is a great guy. Their 15+ bottling run the gamut from fruit forward to elegant. Try a Keefer Ranch and those Anti-Flavor elite guys will change their tune.

Pinot just shot up into the #2 position in our cellar from a distant 5th after we got back from a trip to Sonoma last week. Syrah is still by far the king of the hill and our favorite wine to drink but Pinot is creeping up.
CT: the_lovenest
T. Melloni

Post #31  Postby T. Melloni » January 23rd 2017, 2:29pm

brigcampbell wrote:I really enjoy the Capiaux Cellars spin on Garys'.

Nice to see Sean Capiaux getting a shout out. I like his wines - they do tend to be on the lighter side of the Cali-Pinot equation. Not sure if that is that he picks earlier or his wine-making techniques.
Limit of 32 characters; I am #33

Return to Wine Talk

logo
Food Advertising by