Bern's Advice Needed

Never been to Bern’s. Will be in Tampa next week for work and made a reservation.

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of a Bern’s experience flying solo?
The website has some interesting wines by the glass but did not see any older red Burgs. Are there a lot of half-bottles?
Would a cellar tour request be laughed at? If not, whom should I ask?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Last time I looked at the list, they were giving the aged Beaujolais away almost free. That’s where I’d start for sure.

Edit: sorry, that didn’t really answer your question, but if I were there alone, I’d drink two bottles myself.

Brad or Eric can point you to a great bottle of burgundy. Bill B is our regular waiter and also knows the list very well. Have not looked at the by the glass list in quite a while. It is extensive but have never seen older burgs on it. Plenty of aged Cali cabs though.

Great Cali Zins from the 70’s and Rhones from the 60’s are also terrific finds on the list.

You might want to put together a group so you can try several different bottles… If not splurge on the Burg and use a taxi…

Cellar tour is no issue either.

Plenty of 375mls to choose from. Cellar tours are routine - they’ll probably offer even if you don’t ask.
I think the best buys off the list are in the Rioja section.
Finish up with a glass of Madeira in the dessert room.

Just put yourself in Eric Renaud’s hands. Tell him what you like.

Everyone has a favorite somm. there but all are helpful. We always ask for Brad. He’ll steer you to some well aged beauties for sure. See my recent TN thread.

Steve - I would suggest you email the sommelier. You can get the email address from their website. Explain when you are coming and what you want to drink. Give them a price range and style and age preference. They will be able to give you plenty of suggestions. There are older burgs on the wine list but nothing like the range of older bdx. As someone else said the cru beajoulais from the 1970s and1980s are sold for $20-$30 a bottle. There are more than 6500 bottles in the wine list.

They have 3 sommeliers and they deal with guys like us all the time. Good luck

Brodie

Steve –
I was there in June by myself and had a great time. I did what Brodie suggests, and Eric had picked out '55 Bordeaux for my first night and '64 Burgundy the second, a bottle and half-bottle of each. (By long-standing tradition, I won’t describe them.) He had to try second bottles on the halves, which are more variable in their development, but I ended up with some wonderful wines. It’s strange how the restaurant divides up between people having graduation parties and wine fanatics, but if you are the latter and make some preliminary arrangements you will not be disappointed.

David

[quote=“Mark Mason” but if I were there alone, I’d drink two bottles myself.[/quote]

Yup, that is what cabs are for!!

We always take a cab from the beach. About $120 or so round trip. Last year we had a third bottle in the bar for dessert.

Yup, that is what cabs are for!![/quote]

I’ll stick to burgs and rhones…

Here’s a copy of my post on my most recent visit:

My personal rules for Bern’s, but first the reasons for them:

Reasons:

1. I love Burgundy

2. I hate spending money

3. Bern’s buys almost only on release and cellars at 50° (10 Celsius)

4. Bern’s reasonable prices get much more reasonable if the vintage doesn’t have a lot of hype.

Rules:

5. Order Cotes de Beaune

6. Order wines from good light vintages that anywhere else would be over the hill.

So we started with a 1979 Morot Beaune 1er Cru ‘Cent Vignes’ which set me back about $65. The color was pale but not orangey or brown. The aromas were gorgeous, fresh red cherries underlain by sous-bois, underlain by the tiniest hint of dead leaves, so you would know there was some age. Fresh and tender on the palate, reprise of fresh ripe red cherries, a beautiful lightweight with a silky, almost lacy texture. Rated about 90.5.

Next up a 1979 Jaboulet-Vercherre Beaune 1er Cru ‘Clos de l’Ecu’. Eric recommended against J-V, having had lots of bad ones, but I know that this was a Monopole flagship, I’ve had it in lots of previous vintages and AFAIK they never muck it up. Cost from memory was ~$68.This was darker, younger. From the moment it was decanted it was more vigorous with darker fruits and fresher intensity. It followed through on the palate with black cherries and something almost plummy, balanced by lively tannins. The finish was longer too, very harmonious. Rated about 92.1.

We finished with a 375 of the 1961 Jaboulet-Vercherre Beaune 1er Cru ‘Boucherottes’. This was even darker than the ’79 J-V with a far more intense and complex aroma featuring black raspberries, hardwood forest and a slight touch of barnyard, as if a chicken had gotten past the fence and into the woods. Richer and younger on the palate, this was a testament to a very great vintage at 50 years. The panoply of flavors included many black fruits, something gamy and a touch of leather. The tannins were abundant, amazingly fine and resolved. This was about $75. I rated it about 94.

Does Bern’s have a deep older riesling selection?

The Real first rule of Bern’s…you don’t talk about Bern’s…at least when you work with Eric [cheers.gif]

Yes

Especially in the desert wine section…

Especially online.

Yup, that is what cabs are for!![/quote]

If I drank two bottles myself, I’d need an ambulance, rather than a cab!

I’ll definitely take a cab, luckily staying only a few minutes away.

A third bottle, however, would require a hearse. [wow.gif]

Thanks, All, for the advice.
Will e-mail the somms and report back after the trip (or not, depending on the rules). newhere