Wine Store Recs in Hillcrest San Diego?

I did not travel with wine and am looking to bring something fun over to share with friends at dinner- can anyone suggest a good wine shop in or around the Hillcrest neighborhood? I have wheels and can drive if necessary.

It’s beautiful out here!

I’ve been gone too long but there are two places that look good from an Internet search. One on 5th between University and Washington and another at 12th and University. Then there’s always Wine Bank downtown at 5th and J.

hola. Fortunate for you San Diego isn’t a terribly large city for the sake of buying wine. You’re about a 15 minute drive from the two big wine stores, Vintage Wines and San Diego Wine Company. Both of those stores are off miramar and are located right next to each other. They have a great selection and the very best prices in San Diego. Certainly worth the drive for you if you wanted to check it out.

Wine bank that Bob suggested has a very large selection but to go with it, ridiculous freaking prices.

Clayfu’s right…Great selection, but there’s a reason that “Bank” is in their name… you need bank to buy there… they need a bank to store it…

15 minutes. Yeah, at 3AM. [rofl.gif]

I think the last time you lived in San Diego they only had one freeway ;p.

Hillcrest to Vintage wines is about 15 miles away and it’s basically going against traffic the whole way. Right now at 5:30, peak traffic hours the whole route of 163—> 805 is running with zero traffic.

[rofl.gif]

And it wasn’t even ‘The Five’, it was just ‘the 1’

Not quite, but I remember when there was NO freeway.

Bob,

You should have purchased land back then.

To answer the original question, JG, you could also go to 3rd Corner Wine shop, it is in OB, and straight off the 8 west to sunset cliffs, and make a right…real close. Decent pricing. Nce mix of mostly Cali stuff especially Santa Barbara and Central Coast.

Howard

I was a little young at the time, Howard. But you’re right. [berserker.gif]

In case you are still there, Jaynes Gastropub, an excellent restaurant is in that area.

http://www.jaynesgastropub.com/