http://montesquieu.com

Just got a call from someone at http://montesquieu.com.
Anyone heard of these guys?
They had a Very Hard Sell on the phone.

Thanks,
Rudy

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=19383

I looked at the new wines listed on their website, and most I have never heard of, even the ones from Oregon and Washington. A little more perusing the site shows that they act as négociants.

A quick Google search turned up this BottleCount.com Message Board: Montesquieu Winery

P Hickner

Thanks very much.

I got the weird high pressure sales pitch at work a couple of times. The woman was one of the smarmiest, most pushy telemarketers I’ve ever heard. Pitch was basically that they worked with winemakers “you know, like screaming eagle” that want to make wine under a more anonymous label. Riiiiight.

the juciest thread I’ve seen is on an old board…
http://www.bottlecount.com/harvey/comment.cgi?newsid=1164

Got a call from them, probably six months to a year ago.

Same thing, pushy hard selling for wines nobody had ever heard of at prices that weren’t attractive at all. I told them I’d purchase my wines on my terms, never heard back from them and still don’t know how they got my contact info.

I have a few clients that purchase from them, they ship in these humoungous boxes that are hard to miss. I assumd they were some CA winery I’d never tasted, and didn’t care to. One day at work, I got a call from this woman saying someone had referred me to them. Since I thought they were a domestic winery, and I buy almost nothing domestic, I politely told her that I wasn’t interested, and when pushed, said that I only buy old world wines. The woman says ‘perfect, that’s what we sell’. It took me about one second to know these people were just a hard sell telemarketer, and I repeated that I wasn’t interested and hung up.

Not 10 seconds later, my phone rings, same be-atch, who says ‘Don’t you knows it’s 7 years of BAD SEX to hang up on a telemarketer?’. I said ‘I’m going for 14 years’ and hung up again.

Damn if she wasn’t right. Even bad sex is better than no sex at all.

These people are basically scum.

Your post brings back memories.

Carnival Barker Woman: “Yes, we got your name from the attendees list of the twin cities wine experience”
Me: “I’ve never attended that event”
Carnival Barker Woman (with a chuckle): “Well Chris; you’re not calling me a liar are you?”
At this point, if it were a movie, you would hear the slightly off key suspense music as she was shown booking an airline ticket to my home town.

OMG, the old thread on the other site is beyond insane.

Funny what a quick search turns up on CT…someone from here just reached out to me about my own wines today, and when I googled montesquieu, the results were less than impressive.

This still remains the single most amazing telemarketing interaction I’ve ever had. I think they’ve repackaged themselves a bit. Redirecting...

Has anyone had recent contact?

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] Double laugh for two good jokes.

Do you know what’s the second best thing in the world?
Bad sex.

Yea I’m going to go ahead and tell them I’m not interested…

So what were they interested in, Beau?

From what I gathered, they are interested in selling (telemarketing?) my wines. The pitch was interesting in that I couldn’t tell at first if the girl was wanting to sell me wines or reach out and see if I was interested in selling my wines to them.

They appear to use extra juice and label as the own now for the domestic market and sell as premium small production from their own “winery”. The foreign juice is mostly just relabeled with another similar name. All sold @ about double the value. I must admit that I was a customer when I had more money than time to do the due diligence. CT is your friend which I discovered many years ago when looking for information on their wines. I do get the occasional call for which my reply is “your wine cost twice the value”, and I support my local small producers. [snort.gif]

They sound like a great ambassador for your brand… [suicide.gif] :astonished:

Avoid like the plague. I got sucked into a few cases years ago. Poured the last one down the drain recently. Never a good bottle form them.