Assorted Aussies

Henshcke Keyneton Euphonium 2008
75% shiraz, 11% cabernet sauvignon, 8% merlot, 6% cabernet franc and grown in the Barossa (Eden Valley and Barossa Valley). (Note: I didn’t notice “Euphonium” on the label, but this seems to be it. The Keyneton Estate seems to be a slightly different blend.)
14.5%
C: Dark.
N: Oak and leather.
P: Wonderful! Great balance, length, intensity and interest. Notes of leather, cedar, tar. If there was a downside, it was that it probably hasn’t hit it’s peak.
Winemaker: “Very deep crimson in colour. A complex bouquet of plums, blackberries, mulberries and cassis with savoury nuances of tar and roasted meats. The sweet, rich and plush palate has a fleshy texture with layers of flavour of great depth and concentration, beautifully balanced with velvety fine-grained tannins and excellent length.”

Wines at WineOdyssey in Sydney:, http://www.wineodyssey.com.au/ , see my post in Travel Forum for a description of this unusual place

2nd WOTN:
Massena ‘The Surly Muse’ Viognier 2009
Barossa
Really nice! Light but interesting, no rough edges at all.
Website: “The nose displays aromas of apricots, honeysuckle, wild fennel and grapefruit. The palate is rich yet restrained, with succulent tropical flavours that are matched with fresh acidity, a taught band of minerality & a creamy texture.”

WOTN:
Principia “Foris” Pinot Noir 2008
Mornington Peninsula, VIC
Organic, unfiltered. A boutique grower, not even a website.
C: Quite brownish.
N: Cherry, oak, autumn leaves.
P: Light, floating mouthfeel with great length and perfect balance of tannins and acid. Very compelling. Light and intense at the same time, as only a PN can be. One of the most drinkable PNs I’ve had.

Tapanappa “Foggy Hill” Pinot Noir 2009
Fleurieu Peninsula S AU
Good but not up to the Foris. Nice balance and length but not so compelling.

Tobin ‘Elliot’ Merlot 2008
Granite Belt QLD
Heavy, a bit overoaked, but quite drinkable.

Huntington Estate Shiraz 2006
NSW
C: Red-brown.
N: Oak, leather.
P: Nice, just a touch of pepper, medium body. Good but didn’t grab me.

Freeman Vineyards ‘Secco’ Rondinella/Corvina
Hilltops NSW
(Valpolicella and Amarone grapes!)
Very nice IIRC, velvety and elegant.

Tamburlaine Reserve Chambourcin 2009 (? 2007 on website)
Hunter Valley
Not bad, IIRC. Website: “Dominated by lovely mulberry and cherry with supporting vanillin oak. Soft juicy palate complemented by fine ripe tannins.”

Chalk Hill Shiraz 2007
McLaren Vale
15.2%
C: Dark.
N: Oak and leather.
P: A superior Shiraz. Went beautifully with pork belly. Drinks well. Oaky, but not overly. Winemaker: “The wine is deep plum colour with aromas of blackberry, cherry and spice. The wine epitomises our goal of power and grace in shiraz, with intense fruit flavours harmoniously supported by fine oak and wonderful tannins.”