Another Shitty '07 Oregon Pinot Noir

Belle Pente Murto Reserve. Nose of cranberry, rhubarb, strawberry, cherry, a little meat and the telltale Murto spice. Seems to change about every ten minutes. Similar palate with a weight that goes back and forth from thin to substantial and mouth-filling. Fine-grained but substantial tannins that argue for bottle age.

Consumed with Ancient Heritage Adelle, a local sheep’s milk soft-ripened cheese, a sourdough baguette (also local) and pate de Bambi.

Sucks. Don’t buy it. I poured most of the bottle down the drain. newhere

1 Like

Sounds under-ripe and thin… [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Absolutely. It was awful.

2 Likes

You should know by now to never drink Pinot under 15% ABV.

This reminds me, I need to write up the notes from last night’s tasting of overly acidic, fruit shy 1996 red Burgs…

1 Like

Please. I remember a truly awful '96 Clos de Beze from Damoy. It was almost black it was so thin.

Rather like the Chambertin from Trapet and the Echezeaux from Rouget last night.

Bob,

We weren’t impressed with many of the 07’s and thought they all lack body and fruit character. Antica Terra was the best we found for our “fruit forward” palates. My question: Is the Belle Pente normally “Burgundian” in style or fruit forward like most Russian River Pinots. I want to get a better perspective of the missing components.

Thanks.

1 Like

Belle Pente and Antica Terra are about as opposite as one can get. Try an Oregon '07 now. They were awkward young but just keep putting on weight and getting prettier and prettier.

That said, if you prefer the Russian River pinots, you probably have the palate of a yak.

2 Likes

[shock.gif]

1 Like

Having the palate of a Yak has it’s benefits.

Glad it’s shitty. My six pack won’t bug anyone but me.

1 Like

Yaks aside. Belle Pente deliver pure fruit, complexity and the trademark of any vintage in Oregon. Some vintages. (2007?) may need more cellar time, but IMHO, this producer consistently delivers. FWIW, I don’t care for any Antica Terra offerings I’ve tasted, so my opinion might not be helpful here.

I had an equally awful 2007 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir La Paulee the other night that was just dreadful. Please send all bottles directly to me and I will make sure they get dumped in the proper place!

After a number of blind PN tastings including Burgs, BP’s Murto typically stands out as Oregonian. Chances of mistaking it for an AT or RRV are even lower.

A number of 07s have tightened up over the past year. Patience and/or aeration might improve your experience.

RT

Belle Pente and Antica Terra are about as opposite as one can get.

I usually agree with you on Oregon pinot, Bob, but I think this may be a bit of an overstatement.
I’m not ready to lump AT in with Dusky Goose, Penner Ash, et. al.
Ironically, just as you (and I) say that the '07s need time, the ATs, which only go back, what, six vintages or so, need time.
I agree that the ATs are on the more fruit forward side of the spectrum, but I don’t think they are the end-point of that spectrum.
Just wondering, have you actually tried the '07 AT, particularly lately?

No, I haven’t. I won’t pay that much.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t get the thread. Was the Murto bad because it tasted like a RRV, or was it just bad? Sounded like a bash the Oregon thread - or at least that vintage - but perhaps just big, fruit forward wines. Then the Yak comment, which I guess applies to the majority of Berserkers (other than those French loving, Burgundian hounds with deep pockets).

I am sure there are good Pinot in Oregon. But sorting out the good from the bad of the Oregon Pinots seems too much trouble when we have so much great Pinot coming from Sonoma… And why would anyone pay their prices? Certainly their land does not have the same cost per acre, so it must be to pay for the Birkenstocks?

Is this tounge in cheek or did you really dislike it?

2 Likes

I guess I did not get what part was real (if any) and what was sarcasm. Anyway, glad you liked the wine and I will stick to my RRV and Sonoma Pinots that my Yak-like palate seems to like.