Corked Bottles: Post Yours Here For An Online Study

So I am thinking that I have never really seen any sort of study done to see exactly what trend, if any, exists for corked bottles. Based upon this, I would like to take a survey over the next few weeks of what bottles people have opened and found to be corked. As much data as possible would be much appreciated, and I will fill out a database to get some numbers.

At a minimum, these are the data points I would like to track:

Vintage
Producer
Varietal, Blend, etc.
Red, White, Bubbly, Fortified
Appellation
Sub Apellation
Vineyard
Bottle Size
Closure

Thanks in advance for any and all participation.

Without knowing opened, uncorked bottles, the data is pretty useless.

Imagine you get a report of 15 bottles of corked Ch. Tex. And all other wines are 1 corked bottle. That appears that Ch. Tex has a problem unless we know whether 15 times more bottles of Ch Tex were opened in the same time frame and thus Ch Tex has the same baseline.

A.

Andrew, I thought about that, and I guess producer could be left out.

I was trying to look at red vs white, still vs. sparkling, country of origin, etc. Obviously not scientific and not publishable, just a curiosity to see how many folks would post on their corked wines.

Sat night, a bottle of 1990 Dom Perignon, horribly corked.

Thanks.

Assuming a 750 mL?

Saturday night a bottle of 2008 Alesia Sonoma pinot moderately corked.

750 and cork?

Yep.

yes, 750 and cork. The cork had a strong TCA odor, the wine was not as bad but we did not drink it.

2007 Felsina Chianti Classico, .750, cork finished. Very corked and undrinkable.

You could get some idea of these stats from CellarTracker. Look for wines rated “Flawed”

FWIW, last week I brought a 1990 Elio Grasso Barolo Case Mate 750 to a dinner that was corked.

The only corked wine I have had this year was a bottle of 89 Beaucastel (750ml) a few weeks ago.

Vintage 2000
Type Red
Producer Prunotto
Variety Nebbiolo
Vineyard Bussia
Country Italy
Region Piedmont
SubRegion Langhe
Appellation Barolo

Could you please be more specific? [snort.gif] pepsi [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Sadly I’m wondering how many corked bottles I’ve consumed and didn’t even realize they were corked. I know what signs to look for, but I haven’t had any that I thought were off in over a year. Clearly… newhere

I will say the bottle of 2008 Educated Guess I tried last night was quite woeful. Smelled like robutusin and didn’t taste too different from that either.

I agree with Andrew Hall. You still need a denominator to make the info useful, regardless if you were just doing red vs white, still vs sparkling, etc. Would be an interesting little study though, as I have not seen much info on this topic as far as rates go in various categories of wine vs others…

My most celebrated corker ever:

1982 Margaux in truly hideous condition.

From a 750.

The only one I was truly upset by was an '83 Margaux for Xmas dinner. Worse though - it was obvious though not hideous and led me into delusionally decanting and hoping it would ‘blow off.’

A.

2004 turley hayne zin

Just over the next few weeks? I haven’t had any corked bottles in a while… (knock on wood) Had a few last year…