TN: 2007 Carlisle Two Acres (USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley)

• 2007 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/18/2011)
    Popped and poured, following it over three nights. It was the most interesting on the third night by far. Black pepper, smoke, red berries and raspberry liquer on a light, velvety texture. Lots of complexity, but (for me) there is a confection-like sweetness that is a real distractor. Presents more like a Zinfandel blend. I’m going to hold my last bottle for a long, long time to see what comes of it. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Well, I had to go back 4 years in the search of Wine Talk to find a direct note to build on. I was intrigued to try one of these as I saw it pop up on Wine Bid this week for less than $30 so the replacement cost was very favorable. Given what I find here, I won’t bid on the bottle that is up there for the taking, as I am not revved up by what is in the bottle. It’s unique for sure yet the acid and fruit combo is a little stark for even me. There are a # of CT users with these sitting in their cellars and given the riper year that was 2007, I’d like to see a range of palates open a bottle and bring back a note here.

• 2007 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/3/2015)
    4 years in between bottles, what is a long pause for me typically, I opened this y/day and drew off a glass for dinner, and at that time, was struck by the level of acidity here. Bright and lively, I would think too much for some people. Re-tasting today, there is fruit here, and I’d call the weight medium plus, not lean or austere at all. Dark cherry and blueberry are the fruit impressions, then some sweet leather, peat, and plenty of citrus rind. I find the total collection of flavors here unique, as the fruit and texture of it is classic Carlisle, suave and plush, yet the leather and acidic red fruit tones create a juxtaposition which just doesn’t work all that well for me. As to where this will head, there is plenty of acidity here to carry the wine and so the wine can rest a few more years, I suppose.

Posted from CellarTracker