Vinotemp Customer Service Issues -- Help Please

Hi Guys,
I was going to post this a few days ago but felt I should give Vinotemp a few extra days to rectify this horrible situation.
I own 2 Vinotemp coolers which I bought from Costco 3 1/2 years ago.
The winemate cooling system of the large unit (500EC) has been running nonstop since I got back from a business trip 2 weeks ago.
I called Vinotemp and they referred me to a local appliance repair shop.
A local technician came by my house last Saturday, pulled the unit off the cabinet, opened it up and said that the coils needed to be replaced and that the unit was losing freon. He installed the unit back in the cabinet and told me to call the manufacturer on Monday. I called them 1st thing in the morning Monday and was told to pull the unit off again to get the serial # and call them back. I told them I had all Costco receipts and paperwork proving that the cooling system was still under warranty but they insisted on getting the serial #.
So, for the 2nd time, I removed 60 btls of wine from the top shelf to pull the cooling unit off. Called them back within an hour with the serial # and after a looooong wait they verified the unit (parts) was indeed under warranty but I’d have to pay for labor. They asked me if I wanted to buy a new cooling unit for $800.00 or repair the old one for a $120.00 labor fee.
Of course, I opted to send my unit to repair and asked them to ship a loaner unit to me ASAP since it was still pretty hot in Socal. I called back on Tues to find out if the loaner unit was shipped and could not get a straight answer from anybody. After several phone calls, Yvette provided me with a UPS tracking #1Z9205614271093047. As you can see, UPS has absolutely no record of picking up this package. I’m not sure if UPS lost the package or it was never shipped by Vinotemp.
Yesterday morning I called back Vinotemp and Yvette said she would forward this issue to their claims dept and would send a replacement unit to me right away. I just called them 30 minutes ago to verify a new unit was shipped but, once again, could NOT get a straight answer from anybody. They keep giving me the run around and told me somebody will get back to me today!
Well, today is Friday and Monday is a holiday so I guess I’m screwed big time.
Anyway, I appreciate any advice you can give me. [help.gif] [help.gif]
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Lou

lou…i know this can be pain in the ass but since you bought the unit from costco, why don’t you just return the whole thing and get brand new one from costco. they have one of the most liberal return policy in the country.

Hi Rick,
Do you think they would take back a 3 1/2 yr old unit?
Regards,
Lou

costco will take back anything

Lou,

This is what I would do if I were in your situation. I would stop screwing around with Vinotemp and I would contact the folks at Le Cache and suck it up and buy one of their Cellarpro QT cooling units. It is obvious that Vinotemp has terrible customer service and what is to say this will improve in the future. Most likely not.

What I have found with Le Cache is the best customer service I ever experienced in this industry. The Cellarpro unit in my humble opinion is the best unit out there and they have direct replacements for those cheaper winemates.

While I realize you were looking for an answer on how to deal with Vinotemp. I offer a suggestion on how to protect your wine investment which is most likely much more than you spent on your wine cabinet.

I have had a Le Cache now for two years and it works like a champ. When I did call for tech support, I was taken care of very quickly and by patient folks who wanted to HELP, vs. making b.s. excuses.

What most impresses me is the cooling unit. I don’t want to sound like an advertisement, but no matter what cabinet I would have, I would want that Cellarpro 1800 QT inside.

I would invest $800 or $1000, but I would invest it in the right technology that will hopefully assure me of quality customer service down the line.

costco will take back anything (except certain electronics), anytime, with or without a receipt, as long as you still have the same membership

Better yet, return the whole thing if you can get away with it and buy a Le Cache. [dance-clap.gif]

OK, thanks guys! I’ll probably return the unit next week and as Alan suggested, buy a different brand.

Update: just got a call from Yvette at Vinotemp and she said a new cooling unit will be overnighted to me today and I should get it Tuesday.
I told her this whole situation really stinks and I’m so pissed at Vinotemp for their horrible customer service
She didn’t let me finish my point and hung up the phone on me!
Talk about incredible customer service!! Way to go Vinotemp!!! [soap.gif]

Thanks Alan! [thankyou.gif]

I’ll probably do that but just have to figure out where to store 400 btls of wine and how to take this dinosaur back to Costco!

Best,
Lou

Update: just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at Costco.com and he said that most likely Costco will take the unit back and issue me a full refund.
He also said that once the return is approved by Costco management, they’ll send a trucking company to my house within 10 days to pick up the unit and haul it away.
Thanks again for all the advice! [thankyou.gif]
Lou

that is great new re costco…sorry to hear about vinotemp.
i have 300+ unit from vinotemp that i bought direct from them 11 years ago and still working

Costco = GREAT COMPANY.

Yes, Eric I’ve had nothing but outstanding customer service from Costco and that’s why I spend a small fortune there every year!
Hopefully, they’ll approve the return next week so I can buy a new wine cabinet.
Regards,
Lou

Interesting. First, I have had the same problem with Vinotemp. My unit broke after 2 years and I was told that they would send me a replacement part. I called back and talked to “Ronnie” twice and have never seen the part. I am in the market for a new 300-500 bottle unit and I can say it probably won’t be a Vinotemp.
Second, Costco continues to have the best customer service in any industry. Their prices and quality can’t be beat! BTW, when visiting yesterday, they had the Columbia Crest Reserve Cab 2007 for $27.74, about $10 less than anyone else. Go Costco!

Same here but I think I bought it 9 years ago.

Lou,
Listen to some of the great advice you have gotten…purchase a Le Cache…great product, great service.

Thanks for all the replies and advice!
I’ve already spoken with Ben at Le Cache and will probably buy one of his cellars if and when Costco refunds my credit card.
Speaking of which, just checked my credit card’s recent transactions and, lo and behold, there’s a $388.25 deposit charge from Vinotemp for the loaner unit which I never received and was probably never shipped. [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [scratch.gif]
WOW…rest assured I’ll dispute this charge with the CC company vigorously.
Lou

Like others said let Costco go after Vinotemp,as a previous vendor to Costco I know first hand thier power of persuasion.Great customer service, vendors not so much.

My impression is that most of the cabinet and cooling unit vendors are unreliable from the stories I’ve read, as well as my own personal experience with Breezaire.

I’ve heard good things about Le Cache, but do not have personal experience.

Yep, wish I would’ve done this earlier. Interestingly, approx 10 minutes after I called Costco.com yesterday to report this issue, Yvette from Vinotemp called me to say they were overnighting a loaner unit to me right away…Too little, Too late! [bullshit.gif] [scratch.gif] [shock.gif]