2007 VIEUX DONJON CDP

2007 VIEUX DONJON CDP

Brilliant medium deep ruby red with medium plus depth of color.

Deep, persistent wild, red & black cherry with blackberry, black cherry skin, cherry-bark, blueberry, & spicy wild cherry skin nose. Very aromatic, but not herbal at all. Seemingly every one of these Grenache clusters was perfectly ripe. Luscious, sappy, spicy ripe complex fruit. Distinctly NOT a Brett or Funk-Bomb. No oak showing through the fruit. Wow! This is a Wild-Cherry BOMB!

Concentrated wild & red cherry, blueberry, schaerbeek cherry, blackberry, black cherry & spice palate. Rich, taut & savory at the same time. Deep, elegant with a concentrated mid palate infused with, you guessed it: ripe juicy black cherry, spicy wild cherry & cherry stones. No hint of plummy or over-ripe fruit. Long firm finish with fruit & ripe acidity flowing smoothly & strongly right to the end. Not very tannic, but ripe & exciting concentrated Grenache-essence type wine.

Big bodied (but not boned), but none of the 15% ish ABV showing on nose or palate. This is already a deep, luscious & savory beauty. Drink (Yes Please!) or hold this one.

Both impressive, luscious & pretty damn sexy.

94 points

Gotta get more of this! Already see it a few bucks less than I paid ($59) ~ 4 months ago.

[drinks.gif]

schaerbeek cherry…c’est quoi ca…

What the heck are schaerbeek cherries?

Love vieux donjon - due to their steadfast refusal to make a luxury cuvee and the consistent high quality of their vin.

Great 07. Excellent 08. Producer first. Vintage 2nd.

Dan,

Those are a type of dark-red morello, or Griotte cherry grown near Brussels. They are, or WERE the traditional dark, flavorful, sour cherries used to produce the great Kriek Lambics of Belgium. There aren’t many left & some of the few Lambic Breweries that have used them are turning to different sources of sour cherries.
There is still at least one Brewery that makes a Kriek from Schaerbeek cherries - Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek

I’m a big Lambic Lover & drinker, too.

Schaarbeekse Kriek | Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen | BeerAdvocate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you’re curious. Just had one during Mardi Gras - Amazing, unique stuff! Nice!

This was my first taste of Vieux Donjon in a long, long time. I’m back on the Bus with these guys & definitely will be grabbing more. Think I need to put together a little '07 CDP tasting with my locals here.

Cheers!
[basic-smile.gif]

Great note Rob.

Jim, when did you try the '08? I’m looking forward to trying more of '08s soon.

Rob,

Well, I learn something new everyday. I grew-up in Anderlecht and had no idea that cherries were named after that 'commune". I too like Gueuze. But it’s difficult to enjoy a fresh draft anywhere else other than the Grande Place - and, always after eating a Liege “sugar” waffle - and after a giant pot of mussles and fries for lunch at Chez Leon (the original one).

I rarely ventured to Schaerbeek only to pass through to get somewhere else. That would explain why I had not heard of that Kriek variety.

A cool “Mort Subite” sounds good now.

Cheers,

db

Hey Dan,

Cool. Always nice to meet another worshiper at the alter of the Sour Gods!?!

I just learned recently that it seems more of it is now drunk in the States. There is a pretty good selection available within 30 miles of where I live, so I’m happy to pay the $12 - $30 a bottle to enjoy the greatest & most unique beers in the world.

Proost!

[drinks.gif]

2008 is out in your neck of the woods?

Stop it! You’re killing me (and making me hungry)…

It sounds like you both have intimate knowledge of the area.

I’m curious & maybe one of you knows: The Belgians themselves don’t seem to be drinking nearly as much Gueuze & Fruit Lambics as they used to. Do you guys know why drinking patterns there have changed?

I’m a big supporter of those amazing wild sour brews, & would hate to see us lose any of them.

I’m drinking more than my share! Happily! :wink: LOL
In fact, I AM the Flanders Gueuze Chapter. Yeah - Flanders, Long Island! Ha Ha Ha

Proost!

[thankyou.gif]

Oh, and sorry 'bout the thread drift!?!

[drinks.gif]

Love me some '07 Donjon. Killed six already that I got from Costco for $55.

I’m very glad the 07 VD is showing well right now, although I have to admit I’m not getting on so well with those riper/flesher 2007 Chateauneuf’s. AND I love Chateauneuf! BUT… the similarly styled 1998’s didn’t show well for me at the same age. When last drunk about a year ago it was stellar juice. Perhaps one of the best 1998’s out there along with the still backward Beaucastel & classically styled Vieux Telegraph. I’d love to have some of those VD 2007’s to try in 10 years. Good note.

Rob,

My last trip to Belgium was in 1998. So, I cannot speak as to what the Belges are drinking. I do hear that belgium is a significant market for french wine though.

Now…on to those liege waffles.