TNs: mini blind tasting of White Burgs; 2 Fourrier and a Burlotto (aka: Happy Birthday, Rob!)

Ashley and I enjoyed a lovely little get-together with fellow board-member, R0b P@vlovich; we used his birthday as an excuse to pull some corks (as if we needed an excuse). Overall, the wines were a mixed bag, with a couple huge disappointments mixed-in, thanks to premox and TCA. Of the wines we tasted, I’d say the Lamy made the biggest impression on me. Talk about an impressive young wine! Unfortunately, it sounds like it’s now commanding a price that makes it a fence-sitter for me; if Chardonnay was more “my thing,” then I’d probably be all over it. All-in-all, we had a great time — many thanks to R0b for putting this together, and having us over — can’t wait 'till the next time!

2011 Domaine Jean Chartron Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (7/22/2017)
– popped and poured (?) –
– tasted a couple pours blind over approx. 1.5 hours –

NOSE: oxidized apple; spearmint; expressive.

BODY: golden yellow color of medium intensity; {forgot to note wine’s weight}

TASTE: rich flavor; immediately upon smelling, and also at first taste, I told myself, “I hope this is from 2005 or earlier”; Plenty of rich fruit and mineral, but definitely some premox here. My least favorite of the 4 wines presented here.

2011 Thierry Pillot Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (7/22/2017)
– popped and poured –

NOSE: reduced; green pineapple aroma dominates; moderate intensity and expressiveness.

BODY: medium-light bodied; pale yellow color.

TASTE: lots of mineral; good acidity; medium oak; alcohol pokes through a bit; needs time. My #3 of the 4 wines of this tasting.

2012 Domaine de Montille Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (7/22/2017)
– double decanted approx. 1.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted a couple pours non-blind over approx. 1.5 hours –

NOSE: watermelon bubble gum; moderate intensity and expressiveness; a bit reduced in the same vein as the '11 Thierry Pillot - Batard-Montrachet.

BODY: medium bodied.

TASTE: medium-high acidity; solid minerality; tropical; probably needs time to fill-in. Slightly preferred this over the '11 Thierry Pillot – Batard-Montrachet; my #2 wine of the tasting for how the wines are drinking today, but probably my #1 of the tasting with an eye towards the future.

2013 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (7/22/2017)
– popped and poured –

NOSE: watermelon bubble gum note again (just as with the '12 de Montille Meursault Perrieres); a bit spicy; grapefruity; enjoyed the aromatics a lot on this one.

BODY: very pale yellow color; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: good acidity; tropical; mineral; white grapefruit; my #1 wine of the tasting for how the wines are drinking today, but probably not as much upside potential as others in the lineup. Very delicious.

2008 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (7/22/2017)
– popped and poured (?) –
– tasted a couple pours blind over approx. 1 hour –

NOSE: unmistakeable strawberry jam, with a supporting note of leather.

BODY: medium bodied.

TASTE: red-fruited; an earthy/brown soil note, too. Looked and tasted older than it is — I think I guessed '99-ish for vintage — so I’m not quite sure what to make of that; if this bottle was representative, then I’d say best to drink sooner than later.

2006 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (7/22/2017)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a couple pours non-blind over approx. 1 hour–

NOSE: mineral; red-fruited; hints of leather and anise.

BODY: medium-light bodied; fairly dark colored.

TASTE: high acidity; gutsy, with pronounced red/purple fruit flavors and iron notes; very nice; a typical '06, but with higher acidity and perhaps more focus than I’ve come to expect from the vintage. Drinks well now, but I see room for more upside. This will go another 10 years, easy.

2008 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (7/22/2017)
TCA. NR (flawed)

Thanks for the notes Brian.

Was definitely a good time, and I’d like to structure more parties like that with a focused tasting in the afternoon, then opening it up to more casual drinkers for cocktails, then stepping out for dinner.

Got burned by the white Burgs for sure, though it was a good thing I was home so I could pull some additional bottles (Lamy, Burlotto). Those wound up being my favorites, though the '06 Fourrier showed really nice potential, it just wasn’t ready yet, figuring to hit peak performance in the 2020’s and last a long time. Something I didn’t expect from the producer or vintage.
IMG_9204.JPG